Marks and Spencer

francine

It sold food:  which surprises me why they didn't move the clothing to Westbrook and all the food to the T/Centre. The only winners will be those S/Markets closer to the T/Centre; as many (ex) M&S customers may not wish to spend time in traffic along Winwick Rd.  The T/Centre itself looks more like an empty shell nowadays, even with the Inca Indian trying to brighten the mood with his flute music !   :(

But hasn't anyone told M&S about the new council offices that are going to attract hoards of people into the town centre! that the council have demolished a car park to replace it with a larger one to accommodate the extra traffic.  Also about how they are going to pull down more buildings to creat another town centre park; oh and a cinema too!

5 hours ago, observer said:

True Asp: but it's a niche market that some of us like.  Believe M&S are moving into the online market later this year, which perhaps explains the situation.

It must be nice being able to afford such luxury. I remember going with my wife to marvel at how much people would be willing to spend for a couple of M&S sausages. Unbelievable :D

On 29/04/2017 at 11:24 PM, asperity said:

It must be nice being able to afford such luxury. I remember going with my wife to marvel at how much people would be willing to spend for a couple of M&S sausages. Unbelievable :D

You need to time it right Asp :wink: 
I have to say that since occasionally shopping in the Stockton Heath store recently I find their food is soooooo much nicer than the cheaper supermarkets where I usually shop but as you rightly say M&S is so very expensive. 

PS I only ever nip in an hour before closing....you get some right bargains :wink:

• 2 months later...

warrington-worldwide was on hand to record the final day of trading - there were a lot of sad people in the store which I am told was still profitable - so seems crazy decision to close in light of the regeneration work taking place around the corner. http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2017/07/29/ms-close-town-centre-doors-for-final-time/

13 hours ago, Gary said:

warrington-worldwide was on hand to record the final day of trading - there were a lot of sad people in the store which I am told was still profitable - so seems crazy decision to close in light of the regeneration work taking place around the corner. http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2017/07/29/ms-close-town-centre-doors-for-final-time/

Mmm now there's a though and yes I suppose if it was still profitable as you say Gary, although to be honest I can't see that as it never seemed very busy. BUT yes I agree maybe it is strange to close now with all the regeneration going on around the town centre UNLESS they have a plan to come back into one of the NEW units once all the Bridge Street & Time Square regeneration works are closer to completion.  I'd imagine there will be some good deals to be had further down the line to entice businesses to take up newly available 'plots'.  I wonder if there are tax incentives and rental / business rates  incentives for 'new' takers' too.......maybe M&S will be back :wink:

On 7/31/2017 at 0:29 AM, Dizzy said:

Mmm now there's a though and yes I suppose if it was still profitable as you say Gary, although to be honest I can't see that as it never seemed very busy. BUT yes I agree maybe it is strange to close now with all the regeneration going on around the town centre UNLESS they have a plan to come back into one of the NEW units once all the Bridge Street & Time Square regeneration works are closer to completion.  I'd imagine there will be some good deals to be had further down the line to entice businesses to take up newly available 'plots'.  I wonder if there are tax incentives and rental / business rates  incentives for 'new' takers' too.......maybe M&S will be back :wink:

I doubt they would close it now and redploy staff if they had plans to return - the way M&S are going they will be squeezed out of the market place like Woolies!

Not really surprising asp in todays want it yesterday society.

What does surprise me is the likes of curry's/pc world. They have a huge shop o n albans but never seem to have what i want in stock there. Have been there four times recently to purchase stuff that they show on the website only to be told that they have non in stock but they do have one in their shop in the outer Hebrides if i want to go there for it or i can order it in from the warehouse and it will be here in about a week.

Always wary of shopping via the net as i have seen some real horror stories about what people get as opposed to what they thought they would get, es[pecially when it comes to items of apparel. Aiddas trainers spring to mind with a nike style logo.