General Election - June 8th

Geoffrey Settle

13 hours ago, Geoffrey Settle said:

Well we have 3 potential candidates, all local councillors putting themselves forward for Warrington South after Jeremy's visit, two stood very close to him  in the TV coverage.

With Corbyn generally considered as a dead man walking, If I was a prospective candidate I'd be edging away from him.

• Upvote 1

Sorry a slip of the keyboard or perhaps the anisthetic from my recent op hasn't yet worn off. I meant with reference to the Warrington South Constituency that 3 now four councillors have expressed an interest in the seat - Steve Wright, Amanda King, Faisal Rashid and Bob Barr, who knows there may but others throwing their hat in the ring.

There is of course David Mowat MP who is not a councillor but is defending his seat.

Can anyone else add to this list?  

Geoff, they should realise that their ambition may be overreach. Councillors should suffer as a result of the contempt with which they have treated the folk of Warrington South in particular over the last few years. The North/South divide in this town is about party not place. Labour  favours Warrington North to such an extreme degree that choosing a Labour councillor will likely ensure a drubbing from those electors despised by the Labour North centric mob. Libraries, bus services, road maintenance, all cuts aimed at the undeserving south. As an example, Burtonwood gets a bus service back (at unknown cost) even though no one even used it the last time. Bus services outside the Labour heartlands however are dramatically cut as WBT cannot support as many routes because of Council subsidy cuts. Still plenty of buses to Dallam, Bewsey, Orford and Westy though at lower priced season tickets per mile too. As councillors they carry WBC's performance as a target for jibes and criticism.

2 hours ago, Confused52 said:

Geoff, they should realise that their ambition may be overreach. Councillors should suffer as a result of the contempt with which they have treated the folk of Warrington South in particular over the last few years. The North/South divide in this town is about party not place. Labour  favours Warrington North to such an extreme degree that choosing a Labour councillor will likely ensure a drubbing from those electors despised by the Labour North centric mob. Libraries, bus services, road maintenance, all cuts aimed at the undeserving south. As an example, Burtonwood gets a bus service back (at unknown cost) even though no one even used it the last time. Bus services outside the Labour heartlands however are dramatically cut as WBT cannot support as many routes because of Council subsidy cuts. Still plenty of buses to Dallam, Bewsey, Orford and Westy though at lower priced season tickets per mile too. As councillors they carry WBC's performance as a target for jibes and criticism.

Sorry confused I just can't understand what you are trying to say - it's too coded for me. I may have reached my level of ability in such matters but I am very old :D Please tell me what and who the Labour centric mob are?

10 hours ago, Confused52 said:

Geoff, previously you and now the current Warrington councillors who favour labour supporting areas over anywhere else to a massive degree in supporting services

I think I'm starting to understand your question but not fully. I have always tried to spread my support to where it is needed across Warrington (North & South) be that through the community transport services of WCT or the VIP through to campaigning and when I used to deliver Young Enterprise work in schools. I even did an MSc on how politician were perceived by the people of the Town with a focus on the use of IT and social media back in 2010. The need for where services were and still are needed was clearly across Warrington but there are definitely clusters of deprivation and these are well documented. Here is a deprivation link https://www.warrington.gov.uk/downloads/file/9153/jsna_2015_-_deprivation_profile_imd_2015pdf

Edited by Geoffrey Settle
add link

Davy,

A bigger need is a valid point for commercial services. However those services for social needs to ensure individuals are not made housebound by lack of transport are required even in affluent places. Not everyone can drive a car and not every family has two cars in the affluement areas either. The problem with such sterotyping is quite clear and punishes the needy who live in the wrong place, My neighbour being well off doesn't mean I am too.

And that,s just what I am referring to The Visually Impaired People and the Warrington Community Transport are just two examples of providing a transport service that people need rather than the place where they live.

I look forward to all candidates across town saying how they are going to work for the people of Warrington in practical ways and promising that they will be seen here doing and delivering stuff for all.

Geoff, I do get that you are well intentioned and personally behave well. However I am concerned that WBC has historically used that very IMD data to justify what is little more than Pork-Barrel politics. There are seven domains of deprivation in the Indices but the largest weighting by far is determined by Income support and benefit claims. The next largest weighting goes to health and educational disability which tend to be longer term. However WBC does not spend any revenue on Education beyond the Government provided DSG. In fact the choices local government makes are associated with a weighting of 18% of the IMD.  In addition the IMD is derived in a way which make the input measurements translate into a non-linear output to ensure that making changes to what the council controls cannot mask the underlying deprivation index due to other factors.

What that means in simple terms is that what ever you do as a council will not change the rankings except by luck. Furthermore it is also the case that the factors which lead to poor deprivation scores align well with eligability for social housing. Indeed if you plot a map of Low Level Statistical Output Areas (LSOAs) with over 50% social housing  and look at it next to one of the poorest IMD LSOAs the two are close to indistinguishable by eye. So now to the key point, all the data shows us that those in social housing are much more likely to vote Labour. So the IMDs never change and justify pouring money into a bottomless pit which just happens to be full of Labour voters, mostly in the North. So there we are; fully justified Pork-Barrel politics with a fig-leaf of statistics that seem to be too complicated for anyone to notice.

Just one of the reasons that I believe WBC gets away with treating the majority of Warrington residents with contempt. If you plot the deprivation for the indices that WBC can affect it finds different hotspots which is hardly surprising after more than a decade of abuse.

Is community transport & dial a ride not an option for people with greater needs than the normal public who may or may not want to use public transport ?

A previous government ,Tories in the 80s i believe, who deregulated public transport have a lot to answer for regarding the lack of buses providing a public service as opposed to operating for profit.

40 minutes ago, Davy51 said:

Is community transport & dial a ride not an option for people with greater needs than the normal public who may or may not want to use public transport ?

Yes "accessible transport" and it used to serve the whole of the Town. Unfortunately as part of the reorganisation to save the organisation the routes are now block booked and distances restricted.  

Back to the election:  and it's now becoming apparent the extent of the sell out on Brexit, that the opposition Parties are seeking.  The Lib Dums quite openly seek a format that will basically keep us in the EU in all but name, and another referendum. Whilst Labour, take a similar route, without a referendum. So clearly a Remoaner attempt to renege on the referendum decision, to exit the EU; which clearly meant an end to free movement, which in turn meant, leaving the single market and the customs union; and the EU supreme court. Add to this a promise to guarantee rights to over 3 million EU citizens in the UK, without any reciprocal agreement from the EU on the fate of UK citizens in the EU; and the iceberg ahead of us becomes visible.  With the probable election of the EU elitist Macron in France; we can expect an attempt to be punished and no favours given in Brexit negotiations, which makes the naïve position of the Lib/Labs doubly dangerous.    :ph34r:

Obs, you and others on here clearly understand all this way better than I do. I have to admit I have not really seen or followed any of the national tv news or papers since the decision to call and election was announced :wacko:

You say Lib Dims are hoping to keep us in the EU somehow and that they propose another referendum.

You also say Labour are hoping for a similar route but without an other referendum.

How could either do that though as we have already had a referendum and the people voted OUT.  Surely now Article 50 has been triggered there is no going back from that as the wheels are now firmly in motion for us to leave the EU.

If an election and possible change of party in control of government COULD change all then where does that leave democracy? 

There are a lot of people in the Westminster "bubble" who stand to lose a lot when (if?) we manage to escape the clutches of the evil empire the EU (power, privilege, influence, pensions etc) and are doing the best they can to scupper the Brexit process even if it means a bad outcome for the British people. They don't care if the general populace suffers so long as they carry on leeching off us on the back of the EU.

• Upvote 1