Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Geoffrey Settle

Stoke on Trent City of Culture 2021 debate

Recommended Posts

Just catching up on Parliamentary TV this week and there is a debate on Stoke on Trent City of Culture 20221 led by their MP's.

I wonder how this has come about and if there will be one secured by Warrington's MPs?

If so how will they match Stokes, Pottery/Ceramic Legacy, Charles Darwin connection, Football and their heroes, green spaces, Robbie Williams, theatres, canals, oat cake etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poo bags are not a cultural thing unique to Warrington and hanging them is a National disgrace done by lazy good for nothing people. :angry:

However as for lighting things up that cost me what I consider a lot of money to Live Wire - but it did highlight a beautifully a good cause so well worth the expense.:wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grey_man    172
On 3/25/2017 at 10:21 AM, Geoffrey Settle said:

Just catching up on Parliamentary TV this week and there is a debate on Stoke on Trent City of Culture 20221 led by their MP's.

I wonder how this has come about and if there will be one secured by Warrington's MPs?

If so how will they match Stokes, Pottery/Ceramic Legacy, Charles Darwin connection, Football and their heroes, green spaces, Robbie Williams, theatres, canals, oat cake etc?

You've missed quite a lot out there from my home town Geoff. And oatcake is one word. :)

I'd prefer that we were known for other things than Robbie Williams too thanks. :P

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grey_man said:

:DYou've missed quite a lot out there from my home town Geoff. And oatcake is one word. :)

I'd prefer that we were known for other things than Robbie Williams too thanks. :P

 

 

That's the list that the Stoke-on-Trent MPs came up with during last week's debate - look like they need your help to prepare their City Bid :D - I'm sure that you can do a lot better - most MPs don't represent the place were they were born.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grey_man    172

So no Wedgwood? Arnold Bennett? HG Wells? Reginald Mitchell? The world class city museum? The renovated Middleport Pottery that has won architectural awards and should have served as a blueprint for the Cabinet Works? Nothing about the area having one of the world's best theatres in-the-round in addition to several other theatres? The Etruria Industrial Museum? Ford Green Hall? Trentham Gardens? The Burslem School of Art? Stanley Matthews? Lemmy? Slash? The birthplace of Primitive Methodism? AN Wilson? Kendo Nagasaki? :wink: 

That's even before you include Newcastle-under-Lyme, which has its own attractions and famous people as well as Keele University which ranks in the top 4 percent of Universities worldwide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davy51    232

So,Kendo Nagasaki wasn't really from Japan ? Kent Walton never mentioned it .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grey_man    172
5 hours ago, Davy51 said:

So,Kendo Nagasaki wasn't really from Japan ? Kent Walton never mentioned it .

His wresting career would never have been that successful as Peter Thornley from Stoke. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davy51    232

:D  Aah,the days when every wrestling match finished in time for the last bus home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Evil Sid    227

Much better than the so called wrestling of today.

Best of five rounds, two falls, two submissions or a knock-out to decide the winner. good eduction for those who had a grandmother like mine who thought every ref was either blind biased or both and said so in language that would make a glaswegian welder blush.

 

but back to whether warrington should have a public debate on their efforts at gaining city of culture status. Actually they already have and it was well advertised on the internal notice boards at the council recycling centre between ten and half past on a quiet sunday night. (the  caretaker saw it honest it was there) :D

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bazj    493
9 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

Actually they already have and it was well advertised on the internal notice boards at the council recycling centre between ten and half past on a quiet sunday night. (the  caretaker saw it honest it was there) :D

I'm surprised they went for such a wide audience.... somewhat breaks with tradition:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×