Don't forget to purchase your Green Bin Collection Licence

algy

2017. WBC. Introduction of Green Bin Collection Charges.

How much will the service cost and how can I subscribe?

The cost of the service is £33 per bin per year or £30 per bin per year if purchased online by visiting our web site: warrington.gov.uk/greenwaste from 16 January 2017.

When does the charge start?

The new service will start on the 7 March 2017 and only households that have subscribed for the service will have their green bin (s) emptied after this date. Residents should allow at least 5 working days for an identification sticker to be posted out to you to identify your green bin to our collection crews that you have paid for the service. The charge will cover you from the 7 March 2017. Please note, the garden waste service is a seasonal service and collections will not be provided in December, January and February.

Why are you charging for these collections?

We have a reduced budget from central government and we can no longer subsidise the cost of collecting this additional waste. The decision to charge for garden waste collections is one of the many difficult decisions the council has faced to help reduce costs.

There's no legal requirement to provide a kerbside collection service for garden waste. But where it does we can make a charge. The income from charging for garden waste collections will make the service self-financing. Many councils across the country charge for this service and have done for many years.

Not all properties in Warrington require a garden waste collections service as they may not have a garden. For this reason it is also felt that introducing a charge is fair as the service will only be paid for by those households that choose to use it, in the same way that charges are only made for bulky waste collections to those households that request one.

This is the councils way of getting around hiking up the council tax by more than the 5% (if they spend the extra 3% on social care) by exploiting loopholes that say what they are legally obliged to provide as part of the council tax 

I'm not sure what % £33 is of a council tax bill, but you can bet your life they will be searching for other loopholes and other things they can charge extra for as well as upping the increase in April to the absolute maximum permitted... and of course there will be an annual increase in green bin collections from here on in too

I'd scan it and post a picture of it for you Dizzy, but some scammer might copy and paste onto his bin or something (I don't know, I'm not THAT smart!) so all I can say is that it has a 12 digit subscription number on it (are there really over a trillion households in Warrington? Who knew?), my address and the subscription period (7th March 2017 to 24th November 2017 which isn't even 9 months to be fair!) It's a sort of pale purple colour with the Warrington coat of arms and one of those square digital scanner code things. I presume the binmen will scan your bin before touching it to ensure that it isn't booby-trapped safe to empty.

Before I forget....A WARNING

Allegedly some low life person(s) has been door knocking today in the Latchford area saying they are collecting the £30 Green Bin charge.

Now hopefully most people probably wouldn't fall for it but the elderly and others who are vulnerable might :(  

I may be missing something here, but the statement on their website: 

Don't I already pay for this service through my council tax?

Although your council tax is collected locally it actually forms part of a national taxation framework. This means that your tax isn't just calculated in relation to specific council services, such as waste collection or other community facilities and services. Your council tax payment contributes and finances all local council services not just waste collection. 

brings up the question of whether they can charge for the other waste services or is green waste a special case? Are they obliged to collect recycled waste without charging extra for it? or is the green waste charge just the tip of a very big iceberg?

• Upvote 1

The regulations permit charging for collection of (1) Items over 25kg in weight; or (2) which will not fit into a bin provided by the council; or (3) Garden Waste [the present £30/33 scheme]; or (4) Dead Domestic Pets; or (5) Waste Oil or Grease; or (6) Asbestos; or (9) Clinical waste and offensive waste [ that would probably include disposable nappies].

There is a worrying ability for charging for waste which may not be put into a bin because of a notice saying so. However separate recycling collections are a legal duty on the council so they can't forbid that in order to charge for it. I agree they will be planning something but who knows what?

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 2:19 PM, Gary said:

Got mine! God help the council if my bin doesn't get emptied now :wink:

After reading that you had joined I signed up last Monday - mainly because I'm embarking on cutting down what was a small laurel bush - it is now about 15 foot high so will fill many bin loads :) The sticker arrived on Thursday and my bin was emptied hours later. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had sort of hoped that the new 'paid for' service by household might actually stop people leaving all their bins out 24/7 round here...seems not :angry:

Ahh well not to worry, at least I know their green bins are 'publically accessible' so I can put my green stuff in theirs seeing as though I don't have one :wink:  8):lol:

• 4 weeks later...