NHS beyond a cure ?

observer

At least I have a perspective as against your tunnel vision Obs (SOAK THE RICH duh).

And I had to laugh at the interview with your hero on BBC Local News (although you deny it you share his values) Corbyn, talking about his idea for a cap on the highly paid. He was asked what would happen to all the top footballers in our 4 local Premiership teams if his cap was in place. He said it wouldn't affect these (millionaire) players because they are merely employees of the football clubs, whereas the CEOs he has in his sights are just greedy pigs. Aren't CEOs of large companies employees of said companies? It's all total nonsense, and agrees with most of what you come out with on this subject.

Please don't associate me with the Islington luvvie. He was asked on TV tonight, what are you going to do about immigration, to which he meandered off on a tangent about giving them equal rights - he's not on this planet. Now, as for a Government amassing the financial resources to afford the NHS and care services; like any public services that has to be paid for through taxation, be it income tax or national insurance; a no brainer. So, we need the money asap, and unless you know of some treasure Island somewhere, with a chest full of gold, such funds have to be gathered via taxation and by prioritising budgets, such as scrapping the overseas aid budget and transferring it to the NHS. As for the reference to footballers, they perform no essential economic or social purpose in themselves, so if they leave they won't be missed.

Please don't associate me with the Islington luvvie. He was asked on TV tonight, what are you going to do about immigration, to which he meandered off on a tangent about giving them equal rights - he's not on this planet. Now, as for a Government amassing the financial resources to afford the NHS and care services; like any public services that has to be paid for through taxation, be it income tax or national insurance; a no brainer. So, we need the money asap, and unless you know of some treasure Island somewhere, with a chest full of gold, such funds have to be gathered via taxation and by prioritising budgets, such as scrapping the overseas aid budget and transferring it to the NHS. As for the reference to footballers, they perform no essential economic or social purpose in themselves, so if they leave they won't be missed.

Footballers (much as I have no time for them myself) give entertainment to millions of people on a weekly basis. So I would argue they provide a massive social purpose in the pleasure they give to people.

The government gets sufficient money from taxation already, it's the way it's spent that's in dispute. it all sounds very good throwing more of it at the NHS but the problem is that it's a black hole which can never be filled satisfactorily. As long as the organisation is allowed to get away with the likes of that advert I posted the other day there is no hope for it.

• Upvote 1

This is where the 80s government con trick of reducing dole figures by creating fictitious sickness guidelines is coming back to haunt the  country . When it is coupled to the later slight of hand where workers were offered 16 hour jobs topped up by benefit to lower unemployment figures by splitting one job into employing 2 or even 3 people ,this is what is hurting the available funds in the economy. Get these people working more hours & claiming less benefit & large amounts of money should come flooding back to the treasury.The major problem with this idea .of course, is that due to lack of government sponsored training courses for the last 20 years many people will be unemployable with the necessary skill set missing from their cvs unless the government of the day are willing to get back to skills training.

And what about using some of the daily millions provided by road users towards the NHS ?

Well, evidently Asp, the Gov doesn't get enough money from taxation, otherwise we wouldn't be experiencing draconian cuts in order to pay off the deficit; and we wouldn't have the hand wringing over Corporate tax dodging and off shore accounts. Part of the reason for this crisis has been the cuts to Local Authority Social Services, with the NHS being saddled with elderly care and resultant bed blocking. So clearly a case for more funding required. However, I do agree, that on the spending side, there is huge waste, such as the Mickey Mouse jobs cited in that advert, the payment of unaccountable Quango members, the expensive use of bank nurses, health tourism, foreign recruitment rather than indigenous training, fleecing by the drug companies, non-essential  procedures such as IVF and gender reassignment etc;  all of which could reduce expenditure, if we had Governments with political will to get a grip. As for budgets: Germany spends around 11% of GDP on health, we spend around 9%; we spend 2% of GDP on NATO, unlike most of our EU allies; and probably spend more on overseas aid, currently 7% of GDP and ring fenced; with some going to fill the private bank accounts of tin pot dictators, rather than to those who need it.   So, all in all, a mess; and we can't get a Government with the strength of leadership to sort it out.  As for jobs Dave, as technology in the form of robotics begins to take over productive industry, rather than paying the displaced workforce dole, this resource could be diverted to the care sector, to provide the manpower for enlarging care services.

Technology has and is entering our hospitals Dave, at a cost; bringing the possibility of keeping folk alive, who would otherwise be dead; and such success in itself consumes funding. However, I'm not sure we'll get round to robot nurses, even some of the human ones we have seem incapable of empathy, according to some folk !

• 3 weeks later...

Seems the Gov haven't quite got their policies in synch : on the supply side, we need more trained indigenous medical staff, but they've now scrapped busuries to student nurses, which can't help at all. On the demand side, although they're now talking about it, they haven't got a grip of health tourism, where we're being screwed to the tune of over £500million.