social media - do you use it?

Gary

Just wondering how many members don't use social media i.e Facebook, twitter, instagram e.tc.?

I see plenty of you on facebook but rarely on here these days - and yes I am guilty as charged - but as a business I need to engage witht he public so I have an excuse :wink:

It would be interesting to know how many of you rely on this forum to communicate with the outside world?

Use faceache but only to keep in touch with relatives and post important info about bowls to team members. Would have to look twitter up to see what it is, Instagram likewise.

Mind you from what i do know about them you need to have a smart phone to get the "best" ? use from them. I only have a 2g phone with a poor camera facility on it that is of no use to me as i cannot use the phone to send pictures and need a bluetooth dongle to download them from the phone as the usb cable will only allow it to charge.

Check in here though twice a day just to keep me sane.(twitch twitch wobble eeerk)

I use Facebook just to keep in touch with what family and friends are up to but give all the others a miss. I've found the trick there is not to have too many "friends" otherwise you end up seeing so much boring stuff from people you don't know. It's ok but it's near impossible to have any serious debate.

Happy New Year to all.

Bill :)

Gary...you asked the question then haven't commented again since.  Guess you must be too busy on instagram, twitter or facebook then :lol:

I have actually been away for a few days! :mrgreen:

Your comment made me laugh because that is exactly what you said about facebook a couple of years ago when you lived and breathed on here.

Then you realised life was more interesting in the facebook asylum.

The reason for my post was again to test the water on the viability of keeping the forum going.

During these times of austerity we have to watch our pennies - and unfortunately to avoid spammers and hackers it costs a few hundred quid a year to maintain this forum.

I don't want to let our loyal die hards down but I also don't want to keep flogging a dead horse.

:roll:

I see another brainless idiot has been sacked for comments on twitter (a non-league footballer). I won't repeat what he said as it's too vile, but suffice it to say no-one will touch him with a barge pole now. Seems to me that twitter attracts people who don't engage brain before twittering.

I have actually been away for a few days! :mrgreen:

Your comment made me laugh because that is exactly what you said about facebook a couple of years ago when you lived and breathed on here.

Then you realised life was more interesting in the facebook asylum.

The reason for my post was again to test the water on the viability of keeping the forum going.

During these times of austerity we have to watch our pennies - and unfortunately to avoid spammers and hackers it costs a few hundred quid a year to maintain this forum.

I don't want to let our loyal die hards down but I also don't want to keep flogging a dead horse.

:roll:

Was there no internet access where you were Gary ? :wink:

Ha ha yes I know I always used to call facebook and said I would never use it.....and now I;m always on it...but I blame my sister origionally as it was the only way I could be in easier contact with her.  Now...erll ok so I'm on facebook a lot but it keeps me occupied and out of mishchief (sort of  :lol: ).  I did try to register with Instagram just to see what it's like but it wont work on my desktop PC.  Don't like the sounds of twitter and 'following' people and apart from that I was told that you can only post very short replies or posts on Twitter......I tend to waffle on with big long replies so no good for me ha ha.

As for the forum, yep it's very quiet these days an I can see why you might be frustrated having to pay a few hundred £'s a year to keep it going.  The good thing about the forum though vs the likes of facebook is that at least people on here can discuss and read a topic in some sort of structured way ie without comments and sub comments like facebook meaning on there you tend to miss things as it doesn't flow and also with facebook after a week or so the topic threads are near impossible to find again and soon become a distant memory never to see seen or looked at again. 

At least google and other search engines FIND forum topics too when people search for things.  That must boost your website hits and interest surely....search engines don't find facebook group topics :(

If you're going to pull the plug on the forum can you give us all a few months notice :( ....there's info and things over the years on here that I'd like to save if it is all to go :(  

I see another brainless idiot has been sacked for comments on twitter (a non-league footballer). I won't repeat what he said as it's too vile, but suffice it to say no-one will touch him with a barge pole now. Seems to me that twitter attracts people who don't engage brain before twittering.

If he actually was the person posting those vile comments and hadn't had his account hacked like he has suggested then he is a vile evil creature and deserved to be sacked and to never play football again...in fact he doesn't deserve to every be employed by anyone.  Awful :(

I do have to say that the forum is probably the reason I read the news on WWW and what keeps me coming back, without it, there would be no need for me to visit the main site at all if I'm honest as Football and Rugby don't really float my boat!

I do have to say that the forum is probably the reason I read the news on WWW and what keeps me coming back, without it, there would be no need for me to visit the main site at all if I'm honest as Football and Rugby don't really float my boat!

Baz - we have lots more news on the site other than rugby and football - in fact the last few weeks there has hardly been any football or rugby to read about.

Lots of good news stories and some great work by your pal PJ and other contributors - or do they not float your boat?

I am sure the people in the corridors of power would benefit greatly from reading the comments on the site &  learning from the ground breaking ideas that surface periodically. Do we have any MPs on here?

Incidentally, pleased to hear PJ is still at large.

Given the furore in America with the alleged Russian interference in the US elections & all the recriminations on twitter, it makes you wonder just how long it will be before something really sensitive to US security actually emerges inadvertently through social media....something that can't be retracted.

I could imagine the incoming administration being very capable of shooting itself in the foot.

most of the posters on here who scorn other forms of social media probably do so as they are terrified of being a small fish in a big pond, on here they can feign importance.  The solution Gary, for those who love this place, charge a subscription as many news outlets are doing, that should sort it :wink:

most of the posters on here who scorn other forms of social media probably do so as they are terrified of being a small fish in a big pond, on here they can feign importance.  The solution Gary, for those who love this place, charge a subscription as many news outlets are doing, that should sort it :wink:

We floated charging a subscription a few years back and every single person said they wouldn't pay - so that would make it a lively place to discuss important topics.

So who would pay a tenner a year? If we got about 30 it would at least cover the costs! 

We floated charging a subscription a few years back and every single person said they wouldn't pay - so that would make it a lively place to discuss important topics.

So who would pay a tenner a year? If we got about 30 it would at least cover the costs! 

Fancy that, people off here not prepared to put their money where their mouth is, never would have guessed :D :D :D

Other websites/forums ask for voluntary donations rather than a fixed subscriptions. Worth a try Gary? People could give as much or as little as they feel it's worth, with a set target to be reached every month. At least then, if you got nothing paid in at all, it would make a decision to close it more deserved.