ID check to vote ?

observer

Until recently we always had to show some form of ID at our local polling station, if only a utility bill or bank statement etc with our name and address on, when we went to vote if we had lost our voting cards  that were posted to us (this has happened to us a few times in the past thanks to Mr Dizzy simply throwing our voting cards away or me putting them in a safe place then forgetting where I put them on the day) meaning we have none on the day oops).

Last year when I went down with my utility bill ready to explain how 'for some reason' we had misplaced our voting cards again but they said they didn't need to see any form of ID at all and simply asked me for my house number and street.  Being the only female listed in that house they then gave ME my name, which I said was correct, and they simply handed me my voting slip and ticked me off.  Easy as that....

It struck me at the time that I could have actually already have voted by postal vote and the 'other me' could have quite easily pretended to be a neighbour or someone at a different address, even from another street,  and voted as
if I WAS them.  How would the polling station have ever known as it's not like there is CCTV in them or any way of checking WHO the other person was if Mr/Mrs/Miss X then came in to vote only to find their vote had already been cast by someone else.

Similar happened the year before too but I think they actually asked for my name then and found my address that way...still no ID needed though !

To me some form of ID should have to be shown when you vote if you've not got your polling card and even if you do have one. 

I don't get why Labour are saying it's an attack on the poor to ask for ID as lets face it most people have some form of ID with a name and address on ie bills, housing association and/or benefit, job seekers allowance, bank statements, child benefit....something !    

Postal Voting can be open to fraud/intimidation on an industrial scale in patriarchal communities or with the frail minded elderly. As for ID;  it should require photo ID, bus pass, driving license or passport; and in this age of illegal migration, perhaps it's time to re-visit the idea of photo ID cards in any case ?

bus pass, driving license or passport;

Not old enough for a bus pass yet. (probably be abolished by the  time i get to pension age.)

Have a driving license (but only a paper one not a photo id one.)

have a passport but it is about fifteen years out of date. (so that would not do.)

I suppose i could always carry a mirror. After all when i look into it i will be able to identify myself.

Postal Voting can be open to fraud/intimidation on an industrial scale in patriarchal communities or with the frail minded elderly. As for ID;  it should require photo ID, bus pass, driving license or passport; and in this age of illegal migration, perhaps it's time to re-visit the idea of photo ID cards in any case ?

I don't have any of those forms of ID (well apart from an old style paper driving licence but that doesn't seem to count as ID as it has no photo on it)....I guess in the modern day world this means I don't really exist.......marvelous :D

If you have a postal vote there is a note against your name at the polling station, so you can't vote twice. You have to use your postal vote even if that means handing it in at the polling station.

Yes but for example I could have a postal vote and use it and then (from experiences last) just walk into the polling station and give say a neighbours name and address and vote as if I was them too especially if they are the sort who never vote.

If the government decide to go ahead with this then it should ensure that anyone who requires photo ID for voting purposes should have it provided free of charge. This would shoot down the "too poor to afford ID" argument.

Good suggestion.  

Yes but for example I could have a postal vote and use it and then (from experiences last) just walk into the polling station and give say a neighbours name and address and vote as if I was them too especially if they are the sort who never vote.

But would you be that bothered really? I mean, really? It doesn't matter who you vote for, they still get elected :lol:

But it's the silent majority that don't vote that allow died in the wool fanatical voters to deliver the same results every 4 or 5 years.Unless the people get out there & vote regularly & in numbers nothing will change. The referendum showed us what can happen when the electorate can be bothered to show their faces.

• 2 weeks later...

Not old enough for a bus pass yet. (probably be abolished by the  time i get to pension age.)

Have a driving license (but only a paper one not a photo id one.)

have a passport but it is about fifteen years out of date. (so that would not do.)

I suppose i could always carry a mirror. After all when i look into it i will be able to identify myself.

But who's fault is that? If you want to vote you'll get some photo ID and join in :)

• Upvote 2