Garnetts Tower and Cabinet Works buy out by Council ?

Dizzy

Front page news today.... WBC have apparently decided to buy the Garnets Cabinet works and presumably all the land and the iconic landmark water Tower from the current owners PTS who, over their years of ownership, have failed to develop or even secure the site from un-authorised access and vandalism let alone doing anything at all to stop the never ending decay of the buildings on the site. 

Other news reports suggest the council are paying a whopping £1 million for the site which is way above market value and around £300k more than PTS paid for it before they just left it to rot.

Good investment or bad from WBC ? 

I wonder what the council are planning to do with it all once they own it though?  While yes at least the council will then have control but I can't see that they will be able to afford to renovate it considering the state it's all now in after being left for so long......so my guess, and I hope I am wrong, is that very soon we will hear the news that the council have decided to DEMOLISH due to lack of available funding to renovate but more likely because of safety 'fears'.

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2016/12/15/civic-society-welcome-decision-to-buy-historic-cabinet-works/

Seems odd to go through the expense of buying something and then demolish it but that is probably what the council will do. Although the council now seems to be in the property development business and as been pointed out on here the council can borrow money very cheaply.

Maybe we need another park

If WBC have bought it with a view to demolition and redevelopment I think they should have done some very thorough research on the history of that site first. I think that there's a strong possibility that even if they got the site for free that the costs of development will far outweigh any profit that could ever be made.

Don't know 150 cars at £1.00 per hour multiply by say ten hours that's £1500 per day, Times that by 7 days £10,500 per week, 52 weeks to a year which gives £546,000, add say ten parking fines per week at £30 which gives another £300 times 52  which is another £1500 per year giving a grand total of £546,000 + 1500, (carry the one) £547,500 per calender year just for a bit of gravel and the cost of sending a warden every couple of hours.

Wonder if there is an opening in the accounts section of the planning department? :lol:

Going from most reports, this nice old building has been allowed to deteriorate horribly, the tried and tested method of demolition by neglect.

The council, who will have surveyed the place and know its true state, should make it clear to the taxpayers what its plans are, since they obviously didn't buy it on impulse.

'If' the plans to are to demolish the building - and the responded of Steve Parish on here in the past, suggest t is - then the question should be asked why are Warrington Council so eager to do so? If the building is in a dangerous state as suggested by Steve Parish before then the proper way to do it is order the developer to do it. If it is part of some plans then it is to compulsory purchase it.

However is it in a dangerous state as suggested on here by some councilors? some months ago it just had to go because it was falling down, then some minor repairs were done and it was OK, No pinning, no strengthening!

• Gary changed the title to Garnetts Tower and Cabinet Works buy out by Council ?

So just as we suspected nearly a year ago then !!! .....and Baz was right too re the land becoming a temporary car park....

On 12/17/2016 at 10:49 AM, Bazj said:

They'll knock it down and turn it into a car park for 10 years while they decide what to do with it.... just like Winwick Street

derelict,unused and dangerous factory in the town centre to be demolished.  If anyone applied for permission to build a factory in the town centre today the nimbies would be having nervous breakdowns.  It was unoccupied far longer than it was ever used, its dangerous, its the fault of successive private owners, I will miss the tower but   let it go, let it go.........

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Davy51 said:

I would think a short stay car park with ANPR cameras in the town centre would really fleece the motorists , err sorry,be an excellent business opportunity & a great use of the land.

to compete with the nice shiny new carpark just about ready to open?

This is really sad news as for the price of a new council office this building could probably be saved. However it is quite strange as who went to cfourt to get the order to pull it down and why. There are many buildings in poor condition, the priory next door blow down in the wind!

PS Woolworths used the building for a warehouse until they shut the upstairs off to the puplic.