Bus Lanes?

Gary

Like English devolution, another one of Prezza's  projects that fizzled out;  remember his turning buses into greyhounds.  The fact is, we all love our cars and it will take total gridlock before we decide to change our transport habits.  The fact remains however, that one bus can take 50 cars off a congested and finite road system, so eventually bus only lanes will return.

If the roads were made more pedestrian friendly then perhaps people would walk more than they do. You only have to look at the design of traffic light controlled pedestrian crossings to realise that they are laid out to increase the distance walked by the pedestrian for the convenience of the car driver when logic would dictate that the pedestrian should be the one most inconvenienced. After all it shouldn't matter to the car driver to drive a few yards extra, he's not actually expending any energy, the car is! Oh yes I do realise that most drivers think that a second added to their journey by inconsiderate "other people" is an affront to their "human rights" as rightful lords of all they see before them, but the reality is that they are mostly lazy sods :lol:

I can only think of the Wilderspool Causeway bus lane (no cars allowed to use it until after 9.30am I think). 

So to answer the question.....what do I think of them...errm never given them a second though to be honest as I rarely fo that way before 9.30am these days and like Paul says cars park in it anyway so a bit pointless.

I can see the benefit of having a bus lane though but ONLY if a lot of people actually use the busses.  Not for me I'm afraid as it's way too expensive unless you are lucky enough to have a free bus pass

Weren't there plans to put ANPR camera's on the bus lane to catch out people using it when they shouldn't and to slap them with a big fine?

Yes I think I remember reading that was the reason for the idea Obs. 

Well they wont catch me driving down the bus lane lining their pockets that's for sure, I know a secret route to by pass the bus lane ... and  they wont catch me parking in Stockton Heath Forge Car Park after tomorrow either....stuff their 15 mins only free parking....what a JOKE !!  

Apparently there is another it is the bus only link between birchwood way and ordinancve avenue in birchwood. (it has ANPR cameras fitted) It may be used by buses and emergency vehicles only. so that is three bus lanes in the whole of warrington.

The bus lanes in Liverpool were taken out of use on a trial period and the flow of traffic improved so much that they have now been scrapped completely.

If i remember correctly about the liverpool bus lanes the buses actually ran later as they could not get out of the bus lanes due to the large volume of traffic clogging the exits to the bus lanes.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/removal-liverpool-bus-lanes-journeys-7977836

The whole point of bus lanes is to allow buses to beat queues - but the other traffic merges at traffic lights and gets through the next junction at much the same time, so buses gain hugely but individual cars are delayed only slightly. Opposition comes from car drivers who don't see why it's to their benefit to improve bus journey times and get more cars off the road so their journey is quicker anyway.  The Liverpool report showed that in many cases journey times for buses and cars had increased.

Car drivers are, in general, selfish beasts who imagine they are in some sort of Grand Prix race to the next set of traffic lights. Busses try to run to a fairly tight schedule, but the drivers don't see themselves as competitors in this imaginary race. If all road users were to show proper consideration for each other there would be a lot less traffic problems. But what do I know, I'm a pedestrian watching the chaos from the sidelines and trying to walk along pavements cluttered with illegally parked vehicles. But that's another matter which is ignored by the PTB.

I hope you are not one of those annoying pedestrians with a death wish who walks straight out into the road right in front of us 'selfish beast' drivers Asp... you know the sort I mean ie often walking the streets like zombies while wearing earphones and listening to phones/ipods or not wanting to take their eyes or fingers of their mobile phone screens in case they miss a facebook alert or receive a text that they have to immediately reply to otherwise they might self combust :wink:

No Dizzy, I'm not at all inclined to suicide although I do know what you mean about the zombies! I have to dodge around them on the pavement as well you know :lol: . My point really was about the good job bus drivers do in the face of all the inconsiderate chaotic drivers around them.

I think The British government of whatever persuasion has come to point where a choice has to be made. Does is go back to a comprehensive public transport system in the hope of keeping Britain moving or persevere with a saturation of cars that are a nice source of taxation but are taking the country towards total gridlock ?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/removal-liverpool-bus-lanes-journeys-7977836

The whole point of bus lanes is to allow buses to beat queues - but the other traffic merges at traffic lights and gets through the next junction at much the same time, so buses gain hugely but individual cars are delayed only slightly. Opposition comes from car drivers who don't see why it's to their benefit to improve bus journey times and get more cars off the road so their journey is quicker anyway.  The Liverpool report showed that in many cases journey times for buses and cars had increased.

Do Warrington's buses get cars off the roads? I doubt it given the cost and so the only people who use the buses are those who have no choice.   

The only time we will get a change in mind set, and a move from private to public transport, is when we're all stuck in a queue of traffic that is well and truly grid locked; because basically we're all in denial about the solution. If it's a no brainer to suggest that each bus can take 50 or so cars off the road, then a transfer of usage provides the solution to congestion. But there are problems with public transport, that need to be ironed out; such as seamless travel, access to venues etc; which require a larger integrated appraisal, to include planning the location of major venues along main corridors and thus bus routes. The other basic issue, is cost; in the tradition of the carrot and stick; bus use needs to be made cheaper or even free, whilst car usage is made more expensive; with car users literally paying for the privilege of road space. The idea that we can continue with the same old, same old; with more and more cars trying to use a finite road infrastructure with Towns and Cities is simply a denial of the reality. Then we have the health issue, now being raised by the medicos; traffic pollution is now becoming a major killer; which suggests a radical reduction in emissions (especially of diesel); so the arguments for a non-polluting (electric?), public transport system are mounting and are challenging our love affair with the car.

• Upvote 1

Do Warrington's buses get cars off the roads? I doubt it given the cost and so the only people who use the buses are those who have no choice.   

I use the bus or Shanks's pony whenever possible. My car is a last resort. (If you saw it you would understand why  :lol: )

Working in a different location to where you live does not help the situation.

Living in warrington and having to travel to manchester or liverpool to work at silly O'clock in the morning or evening and passing people going in the opposite direction who live in manchester or liverpool travelling to warrington to work.

or even living on a bus route that the service you need does not start until you are late for work or finishes an hour before you finish. Not a great incentive to get people back onto public transport.

Trams are making a comeback with warrington campaigning to be added to the route and after all that trouble to dig up the tram lines. :lol: :lol:

• Upvote 1