Woolworths

pommie lass

There wasn't a cafe in Woolworths (certainly in my era) but there was one in the basement of the CoOp and later TJ Hughes

Ahh now my brain cell has kicked in. 

The back entrance I remember going in via (that I mentioned in an earlier reply) was the one to the old Co-Op and not Woollies. 

Your mention of the basement cafe being in the co-op then TJ's suddenly gave me my bearings as I used to go in the cafe all the time with my mum.  

• Upvote 1

I find it all a bit confusing as there seem to have been several changes over the years since I was there in 1966.   At that time there were still steps at the back of Woolworths leading to a back entrance which we used to use a lot.   I don't  remember a cafe but perhaps that is just my bad memory.  Only remember the counter where I used to buy the yummy cheese and tomato rolls.  They were always so fresh and I can almost taste them now.   I'm sure the co-op wasn't there in those days. 

woolworths did have a back entrance that you could use, opened onto barbauld street and the alleyway that was accessed through that little tunnel at the side of holy trinity church.I am sure that woolworths cafe was upstairs towards the back on the right as you looked from the front of the store.

The co-op was there for a long time and had a separate little office where you could go to collect you divvy. was my aunts wish that we used the coop for her funeral "and don't forget to get the divvy afterwards" was what she always joked.

Wasn't the Co op on the corner of Cairo Street ,what is now a £shop & was TJ's before that ? They used to have a cash desk in the middle of the shop that dealt with all the cash.The shop assistants would seemingly flirt the money from pay desks to the cash desk in a metal container & the change & receipt would reappear as if by magic.

According to my mother the divi was very good in Warrington.....2/6d in the £ Son.

Thanks for clarifying that Evil Sid.  You are right about the alley next to the church leading to the back entrance steps of Woolworths.   I can't remember any co-op in town as it is too long ago but I'm sure there must have been one.    I remember the one on Kingsway near where we lived and the metal containers they used to send off on wires which were strung all across the store from the checkouts to a place at the back and come back with the change an receipts.   That co-op is still there although changed a bit. .  Used to be a co-op butcher next door to it but that is gone. 

• 2 weeks later...