Woolworths

pommie lass

There is a woolworths website if you do a search that may help you there.Not sure if there are any of the inside at warrington as i just looked at the  first few pics that came up.I thought that i had seen a picture of the store from way back but can't seem to find it oh well if i come across it i will try and sort it out.

The layout did change quite a bit they closed the upper floor going to just the ground floor with a much reduced line of stock and they also closed the entrance that was at the side/back unless i am getting confused with the co-op store,

Downstairs was the food and sweets sections and upstairs was toys clothes and household items. Spent many a weeks pocket money on the airfix kits form woolworths. never could get them to look like what was on the box though, too impatient i guess.

Some on here will be old enough to remember the back entrance (and possibly the musical pram man outside}.  Doubt if many will remember the inside cafe which was not far from the entrance mentioned.

My mind is struggling with shopping  upstairs in our  Woolworth's, possibly confusing with same in one of the cities.

Happy days

'Some people are still alive, even though they have passed away.'

The goods entrance was a joy to behold Harry. I used to worked at the Woolies distribution centre at Woolston &  we used to have to back artics onto the lift doors. Because there were only inches either side the drivers had to go in through the little back door to the shop to get to the back of the wagon.

• 2 weeks later...

The back entrance was shut off probably in the 80s and yes there was a upstairs, recall it vaguely but the toys were upstairs, the stairs were by the front enrance on the left wall as you walked in!

Wasn't there a staircase at the rear of the store too? Near to the rear exit door?

I remember the back stairs (via the back entrance and the steps) and also the broken biscuit.  

Re the stairs from the front to the upper floor though I thought they were on the right as you walked in from the Sankey Street entrance. 

Is my mind playing tricks on me as I'm sure they were.....it will bug me now.

So your the one who programmes the sat navs directions :lol: :lol:

Think they closed the upstairs when they reduced the lines they sold. Cut back on the clothing and such.

My confusion is whether they had a cafe and was that upstairs or was that the Co-Op, Then there is a thought in my mind that the Co-Op cafe was in the basement or was that T J Hughes (Little flashing light going TILT and my brain is starting to hurt now, too early for all this exercise)

Evil Sid, on 23 Dec 2016 - 07:31 AM, said:

So your the one who programmes the sat navs directions :lol: :lol:

Think they closed the upstairs when they reduced the lines they sold. Cut back on the clothing and such.

My confusion is whether they had a cafe and was that upstairs or was that the Co-Op, Then there is a thought in my mind that the Co-Op cafe was in the basement or was that T J Hughes (Little flashing light going TILT and my brain is starting to hurt now, too early for all this exercise)

I always get lost with a sat nav lol, the trouble is the screen is too small on my phone.

Reducing the lines was where I think Woolies problems started to go wrong, there was no point in going into Woolies. 

There wasn't a cafe in Woolworths (certainly in my era) but there was one in the basement of the CoOp and later TJ Hughes

Another test everyone; was the coop cafe in the basement or upstairs? I seem to recall it being upstairs but then I can't be sure, never used to use it.

As I said earlier there was cafe in Woolworths.  Quite small but bigger than a snack bar  - speaking about after the war.

Happy days

Was it under the stairs, on the left wall :)

Happy Christmas everyone