Consultation Events in Bewsey & Dallam

STiW

Your Neighbourhood, Your Say!

Arena Housing and John McCall Architects are working with Warrington Borough Council, Stronger Together In Warrington and The Church of England, to find out what local residents think about their existing community facilities and their neighbourhood.

We would like to establish whether the community facilities could be improved, either through adaption or re-development to meet the long-term aspirations of the residents.

Have your say!!

To find our your views we will be holding a number of consultation events, where you can come and have your say.

These will be held at a number of local venues across Bewsey & Dallam at the end of April.

Come to an event and see the maps and display boards and discuss your views with various members of the team.

1. Community House

Harrison Square

Tuesday 22nd April, 9am-1pm

2. Bewsey Park Pavilion

Troutbeck Avenue

Thursday 24th April, 12noon-4pm

3. Longshaw Street Community Centre

Friday 25th April, 5pm-8pm

4. St Marks Church

Longshaw Street

Saturday 26th April, 10am-3pm

Everyone completing a questionnaire will be entered into a prize draw with 2 prizes, ?25 of vouchers, one for people over 18 and one for children and young people who take part.

what facilities would that be ?

we have a school... !

and an run down childrens home lovingly called the community centre.

harrison square, once a thriving shopping area, is now a ghost town who's major occupancy is an overcharging private shop (so hardly classed as faccilites), a post office thats never open contained within the shop and half a dozen abandoned shops awaiting vandalism due to unrealistic rates put on them by the council.

I mean seriously, moans aside...what facilities are there in Dallam ???

other than the monthly swimming pool, which were all proud of...oh in case you didnt know that would be hawleys lane bridge...AKA future deathspot for children trying to get to school over the railway lines.

I have spent most of my life in Dallam, and you know what, its a very very nice area (despite its misguided reputation), most people get along, it doesnt have half of the crime and problems the likes of stockton heath/orford/padgate or town centre have, and what little it does have could be cleared up overnight if someone bothered to knock down harrison square, and rebuild a nicer community area with a few seprate shops, a propper bus terminus, a chippy, off licence, maybe a pub like they do in the newer areas.

the state harrison square is in now, it would be hard for the local youth to feel pride in their area.

with this done, Im sure Dallam could quickly become one of the more desirable areas in warington.

Hi Legion

I have had a preview of the plans. :D

You may be surprised

But without the locals views and ideas it will be left to others not from Dallam to make decisions.

Go along and give em your honest opinions.

Its vital that the local residents have input into to this scheme

I intend to, I have intended before, its just that the people with most time on their hands to attend these events are usualy the ones that dont contribute very much to anything if you get what I mean.

it would be nice to have had an outline of their intentions, then we could go prepared with pros and cons.

rather than pitch up, get a load of speil that doesnt cover the aspects important to me, thus having no oppertunity to express my points as it would be rediculous to interupt about maybe the bridge problem midway through their harrison square plans ...do you get me ?

Thanks for the comments folks,

All of the ideas and suggestions about the community facilities will be displayed at each of the events.

please, please come down and give us your honest opinions about your area and community facilities

Originally posted by Stronger Together in Warrington:

Thanks for the comments folks,

All of the ideas and suggestions about the community facilities will be displayed at each of the events.

please, please come down and give us your honest opinions about your area and community facilities

So any chance of having some material of your intentions to go prepared with ?

Legion, in answer to your question, we are not providing people with anymore information than has already gone out to residents of Bewsey & Dallam.

The consultation events will not be a you sit we talk excerise, there will be displays of suggestions and examples of ideas, but then these are suggestions to look at and to give us you ideas and thoughts, this is only the first stage of consultation to gage peoples views.

Originally posted by Stronger Together in Warrington:

Legion, in answer to your question, we are not providing people with anymore information than has already gone out to residents of Bewsey & Dallam.

sorry I dont know your name, but, I didn't get any...that I know of, and since I dont know what information I didnt get, I dont know if I got it or not ???

but I am a resident, can I have some please ?

and JayC

Ok, Ill do my best to explain it for you.

what I failed to say to you was that if I go to this meeting....with un-informed pre-conceptions (a wrong idea) of the topics that the organisers (boss people) are going to cover, it could mean that the topics I am prepared (ready) for may not come up, and so... it would be unfair to interupt (butt in) their discussion with my unrelated issues, possibly something they have no control or responsibility for.

it doesnt matter if you know Dallam or not, the bridge was an example, you can imagine any bridge in any area, that has any sort of problem.

HTH :)

[ 17.04.2008, 19:40: Message edited by: Legion ]

Legion.

Strangely enough I understood what you were asking just not about where you are talking about I do not know Dallam or the bridge you have mentioned or the square you mentioned either so hence No I didnt get you. No narks , no complaints just an honest no.

OK Jayc

The bridge in question is that on hawleys lane, its a railway bridge that goes over the road, it is such that to allow the railway line to remain level the road has to dip considerably.

I think (from memory)its height is 10'8" from the ground, but from the natural height from sea level of the rest of Hawleys lane, at this point the road has to dip around 3-4 feet to achieve the 10'8" clearance.

effectively there are only two ways into dallam

longshaw street (from folly lane the macdonalds/hospital road) and the aforemntioned Hawleys lane, from winwick road.

so if we have any closure of either, it causes a lot of issues.

the raiway bridge dip often floods, a year or so ago, it was closed for about six weeks while they improved the drainage, which unfortunately just caused 6 weeks of chaos, and no improvement to the flooding)

what happens when the bridge is out, the people coming from sankey way, heading for winwick/m62 or m6 cut down longshaw street, down hawleys lane and come out at warrington colleigate.

this is normally no problem, and traffic is reasonable for the most.

however, there is no way of them telling if the bridge is flooded till they get to it, as a result, they go down longshaw street, down hawleys lane, then have to turn around and go back up, effectively doubling the traffic (as they traverse both ways), this then has a knock on effect for winwick road as they have to double the traffic from mcdonalds down to the college pluss all the people of dallam and bewsey as they leave for work.

which is why their decision to resurface the the only other route (longshaw street) last year during peak rainy season times promoted my correct prediction of chaos as both directions were closed/restricted.

of course this flooding does not just affect traffic, it affects pedestrians, especial schoolchildren as dallam is the catchment area for William beamont on Long lane, and kids simply wont be convinced to walk an additional mile and a half around to mcdonalds, and instead go up the embankment and run accross live railway tracks.

the square, is simply a small shopping area, and as with all shopping areas in local communities as suffered many closures, infact there is only one (spar type) shop left, and one general store, which sells the same as the spar but is an independant shop by the looks of it, and TBH I cant see it lasting another year since it has no diversity from the larger competitor.

the result of this is, a bunch of 1960s style boarded up shopfronts with boarded up windows which makes a ideal street football pitch and in fairness to the yobs, isnt too vandalised, I dread to think what it would look like in virtualy any other area.

take a drive there sometime.

it has been this way since dallam began, there are many simple solutions (in my eyes) I can only asume that the powers that be, who see a bigger picture have already dismissed them

one would be (if you look at a map) longshaw street ends in a stub, 100 yards away from cromwell avenue...all that stands between it and cromwell is a derelict grass area.. a road way joining longshaw street to cromwell avenue 100 yards long would create a third and more direct route for traffic towards the motorways.

longshaw street is wide enough to handle this, and I live on it in the stub, so I would be suffering the traffic increase so I cant see it being public opposition.

create a second pedestrian tunnel under the bridge at a higher level than the one requred for traffic.

a fourth road (was planned I seem to remember 20 years ago) going east west towards gullivers world accross sankey valley emerging at the red bridge in old hall where the asda is...much bigger and expensive, but would help.

[ 18.04.2008, 11:21: Message edited by: Legion ]