Temp Market

Milky

WE are where we are and debating the advantages over an indoor mall to that of a traditional high street is for another thread.

Where we are now is the council demolishing perfectly good buildings spending millions, causing environmental damage to bring life to the former main street. Let us imagine the cinema is a success and brings in an extra 1,000 people into the town center every day (told the average sales for a cinema is 15 to 20% capacity), is it enough? 

Is a smaller market really what we want, with fewer traders?

I worked in the Old Fish/meat market in the 1960's and it was infested with rats which incredibly were an accepted way of life.I remember on my first day working there I was sent down into the cellar for some stock and was told to take something to throw at the rats to "shift 'em" !!

I am an old fogey these days but appreciate how much things have immeasurably improved over the last 50 years.

Almost afraid to ask, but did the rates not ruin all the stock.

Wonder if the callers are still there or have they been filed in?

Almost afraid to ask, but did the rates not ruin all the stock.

Wonder if the callers are still there or have they been filed in?

It was only Paper bags / wrapping paper plus cleaning gear & spare overalls .

The cellar entrance is/was approx where Alice statue is now so yes well and truly filled in.

Out of interest there was also an identical cellar on the left hand side of the building that was converted into a Gentleman's public loo.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep seeing reports saying people think the existing market it closed? Not sure why - been plenty of publicity about Santa's grotto being there and radio warrington broadcasting from it every day - anyone on here under the impression it is closed?

Fall in footfall hardly surprising following loss of car park.

I don't get why they say many people seem to think it's closed either Gary as like you say there's been more than enough news stories, adverts, bill board posters up and mention on social media sites etc telling everyone it IS still open.

Shame in a way that the council couldn't have waited until after xmas to demolish the market multi storey car park.  Not only would it have drawn people through the market but it was one of the easiest places to find a car parking space in when all the others were usually full.  Golden Square carpark is an absolute nightmare at xmas time and always full and long queues waiting to go in and get out too.  I stay well away from that one...no idea where I'm gong to park this year now the quieter market one is gone eek !

Maybe I just wont go xmas shopping and I;ll give people money so they can go and buy there own...bah humbug :lol:

Golden square is a nice clean, well lit,out of the weather place to shop, provided you want clothes, phones, or a cup of coffee. Not a butcher ,fishmonger or fruit and veg shop in the place is there?

The Market has all of them and a nice friendly bunch of stall holders willing to spend a few minutes chatting whilst they sort your order out.

you can park at the side of the market as well. ok it is a bit dodgy on the gravel underfoot but closer than the multi storey was though the steps up to the market can be a bit daunting to those who are a tad unsteady on their feet. (do note that it is a pay and display)

(Wonder if the market is looking for a promotions person?)  :lol: :lol:

Be interested to know what the trading loss figures, if any, suffered by stall holders over this period of disruption, and whether they've been compensated ?

a friend of mine owns the computer stall, he told me he has days when he takes less than £10.00.... so I would guess their trade has been massively affected