115 not out ?

Davy51

New government figures are suggesting that life expectancy could be as much as 115 in the right circumstances. I wonder if we we should expect mass culls of pensioners so as not to deprive our younger social security dwellers of funds? Just think that could be nearly 50 years of being paid a pension.

More garbage Obs. You are living in the past as usual. Life expectancy is rising because we are, in general, healthier than our ancestors. My mother died earlier this year aged 93, after a hard life raising 8 children (not to mention surviving a world war - DON'T MENTION THE WAR! I did, but I think I got away with it :lol: ). My point is that life expectancy has been rising every generation, what hasn't changed is the government preparation for the rising number of OAPs. Along with governmental incompetency in just about every other area of governance, but hey that's life!! :lol: :lol:

Obs does have a point though.  Quite recently a very dear old friend and neighbour of mine bcame ill and was put into care for a short time.  Sadly he is not with us now.

I visited him in his care home (it was a lovely there) but it was heartbreaking to see some of the other people in there, many of which were very old and had been there long term.

Imagine not having a clue what is going on around you, not being able to really chat to people other than perhaps the odd word or nod, not being able to feed yourself, stand up and have a little walk around or do anything really :( 
Some basically just sat there day in day out being moved by staff from bed to sitting room to eating room and back and forth again and again....they just sat or slept there waiting for the next 'move' 

To me that is no way to spend every day and to live  :( :sad:  

I just hope that despite the outward impressions and my supposition that they are all happy though and glad to still be alive and being cared for. 

Gulp I'm getting a bit weepy now thinking about them all now :(

Sorry Asp, but it seems your the one dredging up garbage:   Diz has covered the state of modern granny farming, with old folk sat in chairs dribbling away the days;  we have huge slices of the population (not just the old), popping pills like they are going out of fashion; increased dementia, increasing obesity and associated disease - all of which piles increasing pressure and costs onto health and social services. No doubt, posters can supply the anecdotes of 90 year olds running marathons, but alas they are the exceptions that prove the rule. Historically your correct that longevity has increased, obviously with better enviroments, better nutrition, and improved medicines and surgery; but that doesn't necessarily equate that longevity with full health, and consequential costs.

Quality of life is the most important factor, no use in living to a great age if you can't remember anything of consequence also the older you become the greater the chance of your loved ones and friends having passed on before you, with you being fed and cleaned (if you are lucky!), all you are doing is living in a closed environment with no real emotional attachment to anyone, certainly not the life I would aspire to in my old age..

• Upvote 2

You see, in my mind, it doesn't make a lot of sense to be living a living hell unless you have at least most of your faculties ,but on the other hand, scientists are crowing about finding cures for this ,that & the other that are no doubt intended to prolong life well into senility.

Alg - that was Asp not me ! Think nature and humanities love affair with war, will take care of things in a post anti-biotic future.

Obs, I do apologies, I haven't posted for ages and when I do I 'cock up', perhaps I am becoming a candidate for Asps suggested enforced euthanasia :oops:.

You see, in my mind, it doesn't make a lot of sense to be living a living hell unless you have at least most of your faculties ,but on the other hand, scientists are crowing about finding cures for this ,that & the other that are no doubt intended to prolong life well into senility.

Re scientists...the mention reminded me of something Mr Dizzy said he had read or heard about regarding the worlds first head transplant the other week.  I must admit at the time I thought he'd probably had one too many so I didn't really take much notice of him but I just googled and seems he wasn't talking nonsense after all.

Bit freaky though if it does work. Not sure I could get used to having a completely different body and one that had belonged to someone else when I woke up after surgery.....but then again maybe I could :lol: 

More about it here.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3721986/Patient-set-undergo-world-s-human-head-transplant-says-Dr-Frankenstein-reveal-details-operation-month.html