"Bower", Latchford Without

Katherine

Had a look back through some of the history posts and found reference to a map that dizzy had which showed an area called latchford without. no doubt she will confirm this when she has time to catch up with posts and maybe post the map with the relevant details.

if you search the history forum for latchford without you should come across it.

Katherine, I'm looking at the 'Latchford Without' maps but so far can't see any reference to "Bower".   I've just searched ancestry too but so far nothing other than a person listed as being born in 'Bower Walton, Cheshire'.
That is clearly a transcription error though as it's called Lower Walton.   I wonder if yours may also be a transcription error and should lead 'Lower Latchford Without'.  Just a thought.

To help me look though could you say what year your possible relative is shown living there and maybe give their surname too as that would be a big help.  If I can find him/her on the census returns I'll be able to figure out where it was by looking at the enumerators route as I know Latchford and the areas around it well, and I'm obsessed with census returns and family reasearch :lol:

Dizzy, Thanks for your reply. It could be a transcription error. The details are handwritten on a ship's manifest. The only thing that makes me wonder whether it might be a house or building name is that it is in quotation marks. On a similar document I've got an address of The Retreat, Stockton Heath. A search on this brings up a few beauty salons :P

Yes it does sound like it could have been a house name then if it's written in quotation marks Katherine

Trying to search all the census returns, maps etc etc without me knowing a rough idea of date you are referring to or a surname is like looking for a needle in a haystack though at the moment.  I'll keep looking though but if you could maybe private message me those details it would be a big help.

As to the Retreat in Stockton Heath, yes I can see why that would bring up the beauty salons as we do have a lot round here,  so funny that but hey you never know maybe there were loads years ago too :lol:

Anyway, like I've said I'm more than happy to keep looking to try and solve the mystery with you.  Between us all we have solved quite a lot on here over the years so great to have something else to get our teeth into.

Dizzy, Thanks for your reply. It could be a transcription error. The details are handwritten on a ship's manifest. The only thing that makes me wonder whether it might be a house or building name is that it is in quotation marks. On a similar document I've got an address of The Retreat, Stockton Heath. A search on this brings up a few beauty salons :P

Hello Katherine, The Retreat in still there in Bedford Street, Stockton Heath.

It is on the right hand side, going from Whitefield Road.

Sorry Dizzy, I should have put dates. I didn't expect such a Rolls Royce service!. I'm trying to track a Frank Newell (b 1884 in Hulme parents Richard Newell and Jane Ann Unsworth) who disappears after the 1901 census when he was a clerk at an Electric Cable Works. There are a few Frank Newells in immigration records traveling between England and the West Indies in the 20s and 30s with occupations stated as electrician or engineer which vaguely fit. I was hoping to triangulate the residence back in the UK with something that also might fit. I have access to Ancestry but didn't think of just searching the location. I just thought someone might recognize the name "Bower". The Latchford bit would fit with other parts of the family although whether it's the same personI don't know.

Thanks also Hill Cliffe Walker for the details on the Retreat. I'll see if this rings any bells with my dad - memories keep appearing when he gets bits of info to work on. Frank apparently played hockey for Warrington, I guess in the 30's and 40s.

Thanks also Hill Cliffe Walker for the details on the Retreat. I'll see if this rings any bells with my dad - memories keep appearing when he gets bits of info to work on. Frank apparently played hockey for Warrington, I guess in the 30's and 40s.

I have seen this link, which gives you an idea of the The Retreat - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html/svr/3110;jsessionid=65E27B60E0FC2BF32BA058BE1478F433?prop=25886321&sale=84632037&country=england