The spillover thread

fugtifino

For when other threads drift away from the main topic, and so as to try to keep things a little bit tidier.

So, for Milky from the things you can't buy anymore thread:

RE your cartoon do you believe it ois OK to insulate and belittle men and white people?RE your cartoon do you believe it ois OK to insulate and belittle men and white people?

I don't think anybody has the right not to be offended, but I do think they have a right not to be offended because they are a man or a woman, white or black. What about you?

Your username is pretty new around here so you may not know that this subject has been done to death on here, and it appears to me that many people rail against political correctness because they can't, for example, use the 'n' word anymore.

Oh, and I noticed you didn't answer one of my questions, maybe you just didn't see it, this one:

Regarding PC, can you remember the last time you felt you wasn't able to say something you wanted to say?

For when other threads drift away from the main topic, and so as to try to keep things a little bit tidier.

So, for Milky from the things you can't buy anymore thread:

RE your cartoon do you believe it ois OK to insulate and belittle men and white people?RE your cartoon do you believe it ois OK to insulate and belittle men and white people?

I don't think anybody has the right not to be offended, but I do think they have a right not to be offended because they are a man or a woman, white or black. What about you?

Your username is pretty new around here so you may not know that this subject has been done to death on here, and it appears to me that many people rail against political correctness because they can't, for example, use the 'n' word anymore.

Oh, and I noticed you didn't answer one of my questions, maybe you just didn't see it, this one:

Regarding PC, can you remember the last time you felt you wasn't able to say something you wanted to say?

But I responded  to something that have already been posted, wasn't me who posted 

Try this, just think of Political correctness as good manners.

and took the thread further off topic.

I just posted how interesting it was that as time went on they had to drop the Benson and Hedges, then have a 18 mark, then the ad was banned all together, it is nothing about being polite, it about bans and political correctness.

The PC environment continues today with tobacco products being hidden behind doors in shops, the targeting of e cigarettes for control, the smoking bans in pubs for example while you can walk down aisles in supermarket full of alcohol, you can have people like Richard Branson openly campaigning on TV for drugs to be legalized and Bill Connally talking about his positive experience  of using cannabis on the BBC.

Just for the record I do not smoke or ever did.

I disagree with short lists, guy right trumping other peoples rights and the arrest of teenage girls (or anyone else) on hate crimes  who laughed among themselves at woman in a burka, I would also defend the woman's right to wear a burka.

But I responded  to something that have already been posted, wasn't me who posted

I'm not sure if that answers the questions that I asked, but if you're happy with it, ok.

...and took the thread further off topic...

That's why I started this thread.

This place is littered with posts containing casual bigotry, regardless of the topic. When I think I see it, I will challenge it. I don't care who it is, and I've never reported a post to the mods from anyone about anything, I 'd rather do my discussions in full view of, well, the world (there's a clue in WWW).

Sometimes, and this may be a bit Pavlovian, but I can't help myself and I respond with what I feel is an appropriate and measured comment, but may be nothing to do with what the thread starter inteneded, and we all get caught up in this sometimes.

So, maybe this could be a place for teeds and obsessives like me to take a, er, discussion, and leave the thread where it started for what it was intentioned.

Posters who are a bit sensitive and would rather not read it don't have to visit.

And it might help to clarify a few things.

For starters, all that stuff about the smoking isn't about PC, it's about H & S.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you've already seen this 'cos it looks like you may have some problems seeing all of the posts on this site from your phone, can you remember the last time you felt you wasn't able to say something you wanted to say because of all the pressure from pressure groups and loonies?

There are many examples of people being arrested because they voice the fact they feel homosexuality is wrong and many of the recorded hate crimes against Muslims are the fact that people commented on their dress. Making an Irish joke can get you into trouble, the loonies have even forced Benny Hill off TV because it was not PC. It is not about saying things though it is about having laws forced onto you, like the 20mph speed limits and many others.

How is dropping the words Benson and Hedges in a cigar ad Health and Safety? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

<feeds parking meter a week's wages>

There are many examples of people being arrested because they voice the fact they feel homosexuality is wrong and many of the recorded hate crimes against Muslims are the fact that people commented on their dress. Making an Irish joke can get you into trouble, the loonies have even forced Benny Hill off TV because it was not PC. It is not about saying things though it is about having laws forced onto you, like the 20mph speed limits and many others.

How is dropping the words Benson and Hedges in a cigar ad Health and Safety?

Crikey, it's worse than I could ever imagine.

• Downvote 1

You mean, there are RULES about how I should say things? Lordy, it's like PC gawn maaad, or something.

Milky, on the other thread you said that:

PC is all about pressure groups and loonies forcing their will on others.

Yet you can't come up with an example of when you've ever felt this has happened to you. I think you're just repeating the stuff you see in the headlines of the hated-filled tabloids and convincing yourself it's an opinion you've arrived at independently.

There are many examples of people being arrested because they voice the fact they feel homosexuality is wrong

Then it shouldn't be hard for you to come up with an example, should it?

Worryingly, this sounds a bit like you don't think there's anything wrong with queer bashing.

the loonies have even forced Benny Hill off TV

Hahaha, really?

You should read this, it's a list of lots of things that people (wrongly) blame Europe for:

http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/euromyths-a-z-index/

Do you like your Coffee Milky?

Are you by any chance related?

You mean, there are RULES about how I should say things? Lordy, it's like PC gawn maaad, or something.

well partly because it is rather difficult to see what is a quote, what you are writing and if you are using italics.... just saying like

Errm no, I've adopted a meaning !       :lol:

Which you've decided to keep entirely to yourself: like I've said elsewhere, it's like a five-year-old who's invented a secret language to keep the adults out.

Still, as long as it helps you to feel special.