So - who should be the next Tory Leader ?

observer

Apparently,a German company is hoping to be involved in a joint venture with Tata steel to save Port Talbot steel plant. So much for the pan European hostility to Britain & may even open a few doors  for the Germans into a post Brexit trading arena.

I rather think the only hostility to the UK comes from Eurocrats and EU MEPs, businesses want to do business with the UK....and our businesses want to do business with the EU. 

Which knocks  on the head this idea that we have to accept "free movement" in order to access "the single market"; French farmers and German car workers will take a much more pragmatic view of things.

Correct. My experience is that most people are pragmatists, it is only the eurocrats and certain politicians whose egos are far greater than their abilities who aren't, and whose pigheadedness will lead to the demise of the EU....by which time of course we will have left.....

Andrea Leadsom ‘disgusted’ by accurate report of things that she said

Ay, she has had a rude awakening to what being media savvy means. Interesting to see how many interviews she continues to do, I rather sense that for the moment, any that she might do will be dominated by her CV, motherhood and lack of cabinet experience. Personally, I would like to know what her strategic policies would be for the UK if she becomes the PM...as I think I have got the gist of the previous mentioned matters, I would also like to know more about Mrs May's policies....albeit that I don't actually have a vote.

Wasn't Theresa, as Home Sec, tasked with bringing net immigration down to below 100,000 ? ! Does that count for (a bad) experience ? !

That is true, unfortunately her boss set her an impossible task. Immigration policy, and its numbers, should be based purely on what our economy and its infrastructure needs and is able to support....and not some sort of fantasy number, plucked out of the air to "appease the masses" for political expediency. So taking housing as an example of infrastructure, if currently we are unable to house, in a civilised and affordable manner our existing population, it cannot be right to intentionally increase our population by way of immigration, as that would and indeed has made the housing situation worse, ditto education, health and social services provision.

What the UK needs now is leadership, not delayed until September time, and I would suggest that Mrs Leadsom stands aside, is rewarded accordingly for putting country before self, and Mrs May becomes Prime Minister and gets on with running the country and getting on with Brexit.

It seems Mrs Leadsom has taken your advice Paul; but alas, I suspect, not for the altruistic reasons you suggest !    Given the levels of intimidation being dished out by the media and others, to those outside the political establishment, including in some cases death threats, it's a wonder that any decent person would want to stick their head above the parapet.  So now it's for Mrs May to get on with the process of exiting the EU asap, if that is her intent.  Meanwhile, in the other Party, we now have attempts to ignore the wishes of the rank and file membership, by an attempt to exclude Jezz from the ballot paper; yet another example of the arrogant contempt that career politicians have for their Party's or the wider electorate.

Not sure that I can claim credit for that Observer, indeed had I have been Mrs Leadsom then I would have stood aside after the final ballot....and made sure that I got a meaningful position in the new Cabinet...now her bargaining position is somewhat weaker. Interestingly, I would put Mrs Leadsom in charge of Brexit as Deputy PM/Secretary of State for Brexit, and as I have previously said, I think it could be all sorted very quickly, and that by 1st January 2018, we are out. Anyway at least we should have a new PM installed before too long....and hopefully before the recess as I suggested in a previous post, guess there will need to be discussions with Mr Cameron regarding the timing of the handover...........and booking the removal trucks. And if I was Mr Cameron, I would also be standing down as an MP at the same time.

Regarding Labour, I find it unbelievable....and very sad really, that an incumbent, if challenged, is not automatically on the ballot paper. What makes it even worse is the fact that the rules have been so incompetently written that it seems they are open to "legal interpretation" in order to determine the qualifying status of the incumbent! 

PS Yes you are right about folk becoming fearful about sticking their head above the parapet....all rather worrying for the future of our democracy.

• Upvote 1

Indeed "let's see"; with 1,000 lawyers now saying the referendum wasn't binding on Government; we can see them all working overtime to ignore the will of the people. Wonder how many of these lawyers are HR lawyers, specializing in asylum claims ? !

• Upvote 2

I don't know why the government doesn't just repeal the act of parliament that took us in. Listening to the tea time news it seems this early decision on a new PM may have wrong footed the good burghers of Brussels. It should at least bring some stability to the UK economy.

Errm we don't do dummies Fugs. We'll just keep on voting for Brexit at every election, unlike 60% of the under 24's !

Will Brexit always be an option on the voting slip?  Blimey thats going to get boring, well not to you obviously, you clearly lack the capacity too feel it.

Of course Brexit remains an option on the voting slip, until such times as we're actually out of it, out of the free movement commitment; ready to sign up all the alternate trade deals that are now piling up in the in tray.        8)

So there will always be a Brexit option?  Well perhaps for the Obsessed.

It's not rocket science: those who voted "Leave" will vote for Parties that are firmly committed to exit and control of immigration; those that voted "Remain" will vote for pro-EU Parties, prepared to renege or water down the referendum decision - simple - it's the new political landscape.        :roll:

• Upvote 1

It's not rocket science: those who voted "Leave" will vote for Parties that are firmly committed to exit and control of immigration; those that voted "Remain" will vote for pro-EU Parties, prepared to renege or water down the referendum decision - simple - it's the new political landscape.        :roll:

Well, it'd be simple if we knew who was who and what in all of this, but some people are attracted to the great (and not so great) unfathomable.

As for a new political landscape, looks to me to be in a state of flux right now, so a bit early to call.