So - who should be the next Tory Leader ?

observer

Should Jeremy go? Good question, as he was democratically elected by the party members (In fact I heard that up to 400,000 people joined the party just to vote for him) it really can't be right that a group of MP's are plotting his downfall/ He has also said that he would stand again in any leadership contest and the chances are he would be elected again by the same members which would then cause even more problems. Both the major parties are in crisis at the moment and there is no clearcut answer.

Tim Farron of the Lib Dems however (remember them?) has said he will fight the next election in 2020 on a pledge to rejoin the EU if we are out by that stage and to cancel any ideas of leaving if the election is called sooner. That would also cause problems because you could end up with a democratically elected government going against the democratic wishes of the people and because less people tend to vote in elections he could well win on that pledge unless all those who voted to leave voted against the Lib Dems... but who would they vote for? If Corbyn is still in place, he may well offer the same pledge and if the Tories don't elect a pro-remain leader, they too could offer the same thing....

It gets complicated I guess!

Bunch of labour MPs are angry with Jeremy Corbin for not being more clear how they want their supports to vote, because people do not have a mind of their own?

As for  the conservatives, hope we do not end up with Boris though.

That bunch of Labour MPs are the Bliarite careerist residue, who resent Jezz being elected by the rank and file; some, like Lammy, are even talking about ignoring the referendum vote.  So Jezz, if he is to survive, and if he wants a remote chance of reconnecting with traditional Labour voters, needs to have a clear out, and that would entail mandatory re-selection of all Labour MPs.    As for the Tories, they're going to need a cool calculating mind at the tiller, and that could be a woman. All that's been resolved to-date is a decision to leave the EU; the how, will now rest with the political parties to decide.    8)

If my memory serves me right, is Jezzer one of the last vestiges of militant tendency? 

As for the Tories , they need a big hitter to carry these talks through & someone with plenty of ministerial experience. Who is the foreign secretary ?  Could be useful in dealing with the Europeans.

Both Labour & Tory though seem be in a contest to make themselves unelectable.

The problem with Jezz is, that whilst he is left wing enough to appeal to the working class, he's still got this London luvvie baggage that prohibits him from adopting any anti-migration line; so even he will be struggling for votes in the North. As for his back stabbers, their pro-EU machinations and arrogant dismissal of the will of the traditional Labour supporters, will no doubt be recognized by their electorates - hopefully.  As for the Tories, JoBo & Gove are in full back-peddle mode;  and laboring under the illusion that "free movement" is a negotiable issue.    8)

Get rid of the lot and HRH have a go.

We managed quite well in the past with the reigning monarch running things.

Beat the French several times under a monarch.

Saw the Spaniards off.

Even managed to grab quite a slice of the surrounding countries.

Only the Zulus that caused us any real grief and we gave them a good scrap. (well Michael Caine did)

The problem with Jezz is, that whilst he is left wing enough to appeal to the working class, he's still got this London luvvie baggage that prohibits him from adopting any anti-migration line; so even he will be struggling for votes in the North. As for his back stabbers, their pro-EU machinations and arrogant dismissal of the will of the traditional Labour supporters, will no doubt be recognized by their electorates - hopefully.  As for the Tories, JoBo & Gove are in full back-peddle mode;  and laboring under the illusion that "free movement" is a negotiable issue.    8)

And the pair of them have suddenly become very invisible. Guess they are touting for support amongst MPs and coming up with an exit plan...given that I understand that they didn't think they would win....and probably somewhat shell-shocked that they did. Glad to see Mr Corbyn facing down his opponents, in so doing he will force them to come up with a candidate to take him on in an election...one that I sense he will win. With regards to the Conservatives, not so sure it is a Johnson shoo-in, I expect a forceful campaign by Mrs May. Mr Johnson is undoubtedly a great showman and media performer, but Mrs May has gravitas, and in the current circumstances, that I would suggest is what is needed....whether MPs then local Conservative Associations agree is another matter....as they might take the view that a Leave campaigner needs to be the PM, albeit Mrs May wasn't an active Remainer at all...intentionally so.

Agree with you Paul;  Mrs May, as Home Sec, was the only politician to put her finger on an essential requirement to radically reducing immigration; and that is withdrawal from the ECHR; we may be ending political domination by the EU, but we also need to end their judicial domination too.  As for Jezz; it's highly likely that all Parties will have to go to the Country with their manifestos for the new order;  so an ideal opportunity for the Labour Party to hold mandatory re-selections of all their MPs;  to see if they truly represent grass roots opinion.   

Think he got around 400,000 votes the last time, higher than any previous leader; whether these were from young lefties who may now change their minds - I don't know. But hopefully your right, Labour voters, who voted Leave won't be voting Labour again, whatever they do.   8)

seems that members of the shadow cabinet that he appointed only yesterday abstained in the vote (13 abstained in total and 4 had spoilt ballot papers)...seems the PLP are massively out of touch with the party members who voted for Corbyn to start with

For the country - and I wouldn't have said this a week ago -  the current prime minister should be asked to stay on to negotiate.

A fair sized giant among pygmies.

Happy days

I think you are right on that one Harry. He could take some good lieutenants with him to negotiate.

The problem is, by the very nature of a referendum; a majority have decided what they don't want - IE: continued membership of the EU. Now it's for the Political Parties, to get over their civil wars, and come up with Leaders and a programme, as to where we go from here. No doubt this will range from a LibDem policy of reneging on the referendum decision and staying in the EU, to a UKIP position of not accepting any free movement dictated by non-British Government. So within the not to distant future, this will require a General Election to decide a future course of action for the Country. NB: Until WE request article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty to be enacted, we are still members of the EU. So perhaps folk, especially the politicians, need to calm down and reflect on the best interests of the Country, rather than their own best interests.        8)

• Upvote 2