Local election results

Gary

Labour strengthen grip

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2016/05/06/borough-council-election-results-as-they-come-in/

No real surprises although the Tory vote has collapsed completely in Warrington while it grew in Scotland!!

Labour Police Crime Commissioner

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2016/05/06/new-warrington-based-police-and-crime-commissioner/

I didn't see this coming!

Looks like Corbyn safe as Labour leader Nationally.

Labour Police Crime Commissioner

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2016/05/06/new-warrington-based-police-and-crime-commissioner/

I didn't see this coming!

Interestingly David Keane kept telling me that people would be surprised by the result....and that he would win. He was of course helped by the fact that in the traditional Conservative Cheshire heartlands there were no other elections and therefore no real enthusiasm to specifically turnout to vote for a PCC.

Interestingly David Keane kept telling me that people would be surprised by the result....and that he would win. He was of course helped by the fact that in the traditional Conservative Cheshire heartlands there were no other elections and therefore no real enthusiasm to specifically turnout to vote for a PCC.

Delighted to see you contributing back on the forum Paul - whatever your politics you will be a sad loss to the council chamber.

Delighted to see you contributing back on the forum Paul - whatever your politics you will be a sad loss to the council chamber.

Thanks Gary, good to be back....although I have never really gone away....WWW was and is always my first...and best read, of the morning, albeit I'm not sure how often I will post...or whether it will be as Paul Kennedy or......Mr Grumpy of Appleton....or both so that I can argue with myself. I had eight very happy years on the Council, and I always had in the back of my mind the following famous, but often misquoted, political quote: "All political lives, unless they are cut off in midstream at some happy juncture, end in failure, because that is the nature of politics and of human affairs". So for me, although I was very disappointed by the outcome of the Boundary Review, I took the pragmatic view that it would be my "happy juncture" and to call it a day. The sad thing is that I rather sense some other (former....and maybe even current) Councillors should have also given that quote some thought......it must be difficult for them, and I genuinely feel for them.

Thanks Gary, good to be back....although I have never really gone away....WWW was and is always my first...and best read, of the morning, albeit I'm not sure how often I will post...or whether it will be as Paul Kennedy or......Mr Grumpy of Appleton....or both so that I can argue with myself. I had eight very happy years on the Council, and I always had in the back of my mind the following famous, but often misquoted, political quote: "All political lives, unless they are cut off in midstream at some happy juncture, end in failure, because that is the nature of politics and of human affairs". So for me, although I was very disappointed by the outcome of the Boundary Review, I took the pragmatic view that it would be my "happy juncture" and to call it a day. The sad thing is that I rather sense some other (former....and maybe even current) Councillors should have also given that quote some thought......it must be difficult for them, and I genuinely feel for them.

May be it is time to think of a new way of engaging with the public and getting a voice in the corridors of power without the shackles of the party political beasts.

There are some good like minded people around who together could have a powerful voice. May be a by election coming up soon in Penketh :wink:

• Upvote 1

A valid comment Gary, however there is a thought if people had some spine, they could fight party shackles from within. Speaking personally, I never felt that shackled and when I was the Leader of the Conservative Group, I had no whipping system and encouraged free thinking, and what I used to do was indicate my position and encourage others to discuss their position....and often we could have some Members voting for, some against and some abstaining....and then in some instances we all voted as a block, because that is what we felt was right. The Conservative Party HQ, its local MP and Associations never tried to influence our voting.....and had they have tried to, I would have politely given them short shrift. All I say to people is when you vote, be prepared to justify that vote.

With regards to Penketh, maybe, but not sure there will be a by election as I sense the PCC will treat that job as his full time day job and slot his Councillor duties....which won't be that time demanding, in on an "as and when" basis, which is interestingly what others with a full time job do. Time will tell I guess, and I sense there might even be a by election elsewhere before Penketh  :wink:

Do you have to be a Councillor to represent the Council on the Fire Authority?   :wink:  btw. welcome back Paul, no doubt some rational posts from now on ?  :lol:

My understanding has always been that Councillors are nominated to represent each Council that makes up the Fire Authority, and given that they are paid appointments, Councillors are keen to be appointed, with such appointments being in the gift of a political leader. In my time on WBC I never had any paid outside appointments. In Warrington I think most places are taken by the largest group, Labour, with one place for a Liberal Democrat. I think separately the Fire Authority appoints a couple of independent members.  The Chairman of the Cheshire is paid about £17,000 pa plus expenses, and there is now a vacancy. There was talk about merging the Fire Authority with the Police & Crime Commissioner Role

http://www.cheshirefire.gov.uk/Assets/1/Annex%20A%20-%20APPROVED%20-%20Members%20Allowance%202016%20-%202017%20Scheme%20-%2010%2002%202016.pdf

PS Thanks for that comment Observer, much appreciated. Not sure how often I will post, but doubt it will be as frequent as it was prior to 2010 when I stopped.

Do you have to be a Councillor to represent the Council on the Fire Authority?   :wink:  btw. welcome back Paul, no doubt some rational posts from now on ?  :lol:

You after the job then?  You could always ask the Labour party to recommend you  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

You after the job then?  You could always ask the Labour party to recommend you  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

No.

Doubt if they would do that, guess they have a long queue of their own people....where money is being handed out there is always a queue.

It will be interesting to see if the former Chairman, who didn't get re- elected on to WBC this time, seeks to be an Independent Member on the Authority......and then gets elected by its Members as its Chairman.

No.

Doubt if they would do that, guess they have a long queue of their own people....where money is being handed out there is always a queue.

It will be interesting to see if the former Chairman, who didn't get re- elected on to WBC this time, seeks to be an Independent Member on the Authority......and then gets elected by its Members as its Chairman.

hehe  not aimed at you Paul, although you probably, even as a Tory, have more friends in the Labour party than the target of the question.