Things you can't buy anymore

Latchford Locks

ha ha....yes I remember the hairdryers and us sharing them too, they were just like a wide flexible tube of a hoover and more often than not had the end missing. Not sure if they were a penny when we used to go though <trying to sound younger than I am> ).  I want a cup of bovril now................

The best part of the baths was using the sixpence bus fare home to buy a bag of broken biscuits from Woolworth then honing your bargaining skills trading a nearly complete custard cream for one and a half malted milks.

Bill :)

You lot were right posh.

I remember us having a telly for a couple of years that had a coin meter on the back.

That was the first physical fight I ever had with my dad: he wanted to put the last shilling in leccy meter so we could have hot water and cooked meals and stuff.

I wanted to watch Des O'Connor at the London Palledium.

Guess who won?

Are you joking about TV's once having a coin meter Fugs ? :shock: :shock: ........I remember ours being black and white and only having a few channels...oh and hitting it hard on the side if it went wonky to get the picture back on... but never coins to power it.
Remember I'm a LOT younger than you lot so I'm never too sure re: people joking about the 'old days' vs fact and reality 8):lol:

My brother had one that you put coins in not too long back either. So much went to the rental of the tv and the rest could be used to buy other items from the place it was rented from. Bit like a catalogue thing where you got the stuff and then paid for it so much a week using the TV. (will have to ask him who it was with if he can remember it was in the nineties i am fairly sure).

Are you joking about TV's once having a coin meter Fugs ? :shock: :shock: ........I remember ours being black and white and only having a few channels...oh and hitting it hard on the side if it went wonky to get the picture back on... but never coins to power it.

Remember I'm a LOT younger than you lot so I'm never too sure re: people joking about the 'old days' vs fact and reality 8):lol:

My mates mum and dad had a coin meter TV for years Dizz

Haha, no, it's true about the coin operated telly, though I may have made the rest up.

I also remember at some point they used to have a small coin operated cigarette vending machine in the house. The cig man used to come weekly to top it up and take the money.

Haha, no, it's true about the coin operated telly, though I may have made the rest up.

I also remember at some point they used to have a small coin operated cigarette vending machine in the house. The cig man used to come weekly to top it up and take the money.

The shops in Bewsey used to sell single cigarettes and a match.... times were hard back then!

Ref. coin meters on televisions, I actually fitted them and collected the money once a month. I was a TV engineer in the 60's and some customers rented the TV and paid the monthly rental through the meter. The meters took a six penny piece (you got a lot for sixpence in those days).

• Upvote 1

The chippie just near the Barracks did as well 3d for a Park Drive and two matches.

or the full packet of 5 were 1/- that was about 1965

And the same chippie used to buy the vouchers you collected in Embassy/Kensitas at 2/- per hundred (if my memory serves me right)

Think you got 2 vouchers in 10 packs and 5 in 20's.

My brother had one that you put coins in not too long back either. So much went to the rental of the tv and the rest could be used to buy other items from the place it was rented from. Bit like a catalogue thing where you got the stuff and then paid for it so much a week using the TV. (will have to ask him who it was with if he can remember it was in the nineties i am fairly sure).

My mates mum and dad had a coin meter TV for years Dizz

Ref. coin meters on televisions, I actually fitted them and collected the money once a month. I was a TV engineer in the 60's and some customers rented the TV and paid the monthly rental through the meter. The meters took a six penny piece (you got a lot for sixpence in those days).

OK I believe you all now :lol:   No disrespect to the rest of you but I still thought you were all winding me up until Victor posted too. :oops:  :lol: 

So now I feel stupid, some of you may realise why  8)   

Anyway....am I understanding right that these TV coin meters were like a piggy bank to save towards the rental payment rather than to actually power the TV ?

As for the coin operated cig machines in peoples homes Fugs, yeah right course they did :lol: :P :P

Great link and photo's on there Baz.  Thanks for that, really interesting although some are a bit bizarre :lol:

Victor, if you're still reading look on the link, there's a pic of one you would definitely find useful.... WORMS !!! :lol:

I can remember, in the 60's, a chip vending machine, it was situated at the rear of the old Poplars Transport Cafe in Lymm :PThey didn't taste too good :x apparently they were made from extruded powdered mashed spud and then deep fried !!!!