Street Lighting

boris1066

I once had a council (Not Warrington) phone me up and order a load of stuff they didn't need just to spend what budget they had left over, otherwise they would get less the following year as they could be seen to be managing on less than allocated... :)

would that be in March before the end of the financial year or in May , into the next years budget?

No doubt some long term contracts such as street lighting replacement will be budgeted for over a longer period; but equally, posters are right to suspect that Officers ensure that their budgets are spent up regardless by the end of the year, for fear of getting a reduced budget the following year.

But not just after the financial year has just ended, that is the claim that was erroneously levelled about the present street lighting installations.  I am no WBC apologist, not by a long chalk, but there is enough genuine stuff to whinge about without false allegations. 

would that be in March before the end of the financial year or in May , into the next years budget?

Let not a straw remain ungrasped, good old PJ.

A lamp post which went into the ground yesterday would have been part of a contract which was agreed more than 36 days ago, hence it would have been part of the 15/16 budget.

Incidentally, they're currently ripping King Edward St up and re tarmacking it, did the clerk of works pop into Waterfields for a meat and potato pie last week and think "Hmm, I'll sort that pot hole outside the bookies out when I get back to the office, in fact I'll do the lot!"  

Let not a straw remain ungrasped, good old PJ.

A lamp post which went into the ground yesterday would have been part of a contract which was agreed more than 36 days ago, hence it would have been part of the 15/16 budget.

Incidentally, they're currently ripping King Edward St up and re tarmacking it, did the clerk of works pop into Waterfields for a meat and potato pie last week and think "Hmm, I'll sort that pot hole outside the bookies out when I get back to the office, in fact I'll do the lot!"  

You really are dimmer than the new lights aren't you.  Regardless when the decision to install the lights was made  it will not be invoiced and paid for until it is done.  It cannot be retrospectively invoiced to come out of last years budget. The lights in question, being installed now will not be being rushed in in order to get rid of last years excess budget and you know it.   Has the lightbulb in your brain switched on now?  Now if you have a single shred of evidence to back up your claim that "It's that time of year again, when councils balance their books by using up any cash they've been holding back for a rainy day.  Otherwise, central government might find it and reduce their budget for the upcoming year, they really don't want that." when referring to the ongoing lighting contract please post it here and we can put the nonsense argument to bed.  If you haven't perhaps best you stfu

so you think the projects are paid pro forma? Right .   face it, you had a foolish pop at the council but were wrong, they aren't shifting budget at the end of the tax year by installing lighting in May, only a total idiot would consider that a plausible argument. The funding, as YOU say was secured years back, so why would they need to "balance their books by using up any cash they've been holding back for a rainy day.  Otherwise, central government might find it and reduce their budget for the upcoming year," ? 

About 2 months ago a crossroads near me was refurbished with new footpaths & traffic lights. T he job took about a month of weekend working. A month after completion the lights had to be replaced as the wrong ones had been installed. Another few weekends of disruption. I wonder which budget paid for that ?

Sigh!  you said  

While if you find any evidence that local authorities manage major public works by first having them done and then finding the finance for them, don't hesitate to produce it.

Oh dear, oh dear, don't go into business, promise me? 

The contract began two years ago, ergo????????

About 2 months ago a crossroads near me was refurbished with new footpaths & traffic lights. T he job took about a month of weekend working. A month after completion the lights had to be replaced as the wrong ones had been installed. Another few weekends of disruption. I wonder which budget paid for that ?

where do you live?

• 1 year later...
On 03/05/2016 at 9:13 PM, boris1066 said:

Can someone illuminate me as to why perfectly satisfactory street lights are being replaced in Callands and Old Hall ??

The lighting project is completed in Old Hal and the "light trespass" from  light spill/back light is horrendous across my garden and bedrooms . Is anyone else experiencing this problem like this?

Ours were done a long time ago Boris and to be honest the light from them seemed a lot dimmer on our road and on many of the side streets too from what the old lights gave off.  It's not very nice walking the dog at night these days as everywhere is so much darker and badly lit but we have sort of had to get used to it.   A few people who had the lights directly outside their houses did say the light was awful through their bedroom windows at night though as it was very 'direct'.  One complained to the council and they turned the brightness of the light down....making the light span on the street even darker too.  Can't please everyone all the time though I suppose. 
Maybe if you contact the council they can turn yours down too if it;s causing you a problem. ..or you could buy some black out blinds or black out curtain liners and enjoy having your garden lit up for free :wink:

On 29/11/2017 at 12:21 PM, Dizzy said:

What's so funny toggle.... Google 'light trespass' it exists 

Light pollution  from domestic premises  can be a "statutory nuisance" (act 2005) covered by Environmental Services street lighting was exempted from the act. Complainants have to rely on lack of best practise by council to gain any satisfaction. 

On 11/29/2017 at 9:50 PM, Togger1 said:

its just ridiculous,  this morning the sun trespassed all over my garden and the frost had annexed my back lawn.

:lol::lol::lol: that really made me chuckle :lol:

I don't think you could complain about the sun though as that only shines during daylight hours and of course it is of a natural  source as is the frost  and neither are determined/caused/made by the council or any other business/contractor/person.....ooh but maybe god is classed as a person and he created the earth and sun etc [or so they say anyway...do they?]

I think I might be digging myself into a hole here....

1 hour ago, boris1066 said:

Light pollution  from domestic premises  can be a "statutory nuisance" (act 2005) covered by Environmental Services street lighting was exempted from the act. Complainants have to rely on lack of best practise by council to gain any satisfaction. 

I didn't know street lighting was exempt.  You learn something new every day :D

18 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

Put a complaint in to the deity of your choice, although i would be careful with tyhe wording as zeus seems a handy god with the lightning if annoyed.

:shock::lol::lol: As does Thor...blimey imagine if they both joined forces :wink:

12 hours ago, Dizzy said:

:lol::lol::lol: that really made me chuckle :lol:

I don't think you could complain about the sun though as that only shines during daylight hours and of course it is of a natural  source as is the frost  and neither are determined/caused/made by the council or any other business/contractor/person.....ooh but maybe god is classed as a person and he created the earth and sun etc [or so they say anyway...do they?]

I think I might be digging myself into a hole here....

So glad you accept God as a "He" lol. 

• Downvote 1