Windows 10 ?

Same here Evils. 

I decided against upgrading my sons laptop from7 to 10 while he away but when he came back tonight he said he still wanted it.  I'd spoken to a chap in the local computer shop today who said that after today is wouldn't be FEE (I knew that)  BUT he said if I upgraded today and he didn't like it or something went wrong and we rolled back it would still leave the 'key code' on the computer so IF some time in the future we decided that 'yes' we did want to upgrade again it would still be free as we'd done it once.

So with my son's instructions to 'just do it' and that in mind I've just done his.  He only has Microsoft Office Software and his Iphone pics backed up so I backed his pics to disc and figured it it all did go to pot he;s not lost anything other than his laptop.   It took about 2 1/2 hours though YAWN but everything went fine and it works a treat.

I must eat my words too (I should have believed you Baz lol) as Windows 10 looks pretty good and is a huge improvement and much more user friendly than the awful Win 8 my other half had on his laptop that I thought it was going to be like.

I do still prefer Win 7 though but having now seen 10 I might even do mine as it's not really too different.  Still 2 hours left to ponder and talk myself out of it again though  :lol:  Sods law mine will be the one that cocks up though EEK !!!

• Upvote 1

Bubble burst...tried doing mine and download completed super fast...installation started......and and almost 3 hours later I bloody give up...cancelled it. 

It said I had to un-install one 'app' because it wasn't compatible..... HP Proptect Tools Security Manager.  Ok fine with that as I never used it anyway is just came as standard on my PC.

Upgrade tried to uninstall itself then returned a message saying said I would have to do it as it couldn't.....so I found it and clicked to uninstall..... and sat there waiting.

My manual uninstall then returned a message saying some other things depend on it so I'd have to first get rid of HP Protect Tools Devise Access Manager and File Sanitizer for HP Protect Tools.

Can't find those anywhere on my PC to uninstall and can't carry on with W10 update without doing that so SOD IT ....had enough now ... 3 hours of getting no-where is enough.

Blimey my lads laptop just did itself and upgraded no probs from 7 to 10.....trust mine to be the pain in the arse just like me :evil::|:lol::blink::wacko:

Question is...if I now turn my pc off will it remember it was part way through and upgrade that I then cancelled and will it come on as normal tomorrow still on W7 or will I be on a  W7andnearly10.cockup

GAWD !!!!

Sat here laughing now, got to see the funny side really of 2 full days of backups of machines just in case then doing one from 8 to 10 a while back no probs, one from  7 to 10 tonight too and no problems but as suspected mine being a nightmare even though they said mine was compatible !!!

Just thought I'd try something else to remove the standard HP stuff it didn't like as Microsoft message did say I could remove myself then 'refresh' the paused upgrade OR 'continue later'.  Seems not as I just clicked the upgrade to continue and it said 'sorry free upgrade no longer available'.

Maybe I was destined to stay on Win 7 after all 8):lol: .....well if it comes on tomorrow of course. 

Microsoft take note....I'm pretty fed up with you right now...a whole night wasted and I missed Corrie and Eastenders again cos of you :cry:  :lol:    

First problem for me...

after 3 trouble free months my latest win10 update in it's wisdom decided to uninstall my old(only)version of office ,

and the option to buy the latest version of office was offered(full price)

Anyway lucky for me I still had the original disk and key numbers.

And (fingers crossed)it reinstalled without problem and is back to normal.

But the moral of this story is...

Always keep your old instalation disks somewhere you can find them for future use.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Win 10 was already installed on my new laptop,I hated it at first but got rid of 'Cortana' and now I don't have a problem with it also the laptop has 8GB of memory and 2TB hard drive which to me is amazing as it is fast and so different than my previous laptop. I still have an old computer running XP which I still think was the best prog. that Microsoft produced but no longer supported for the ordinary user however Windows XP Embedded Industry will automatically download and install security updates with some compatibility issues, I believe windows 8 is no longer supported though.

Mac's work fine

As you may remember, I bought my son a Mac... 27" all singing, all dancing and cost a small fortune. Being a computer nerd what has he done? He now has not only the IOS software on it, but he is also able to boot it up in Windows 7 & Windows 10... and the authorities think we can stop kids accessing nasty stuff on the web with just a few parental controls???I give up 

• Upvote 1