A ban on parking on pavements -

observer

I'm split both ways and it depends on which pavements and where and also how much of the pavement is taken up.

Saying that my car is currently parked half up on a pavement but not causing any obstruction and there's plenty of space for pedestrians and prams to get past it on the pavement or they can cross over the road and walk on the other side  :oops::D

That's what I understood the current situation to be Sid. However, if bans are introduced by Councils, just look at some of our residential streets and imagine what would happen, if everyone double parks on the road? You wouldn't get an ambulance down then, never mind a fire engine.

...... and the displaced cars would go where?  Most of these older areas of Towns where never built with the car in mind; so unless we want to demolish whole blocks to provide car parks, you'd basically be telling residents that they can't have a car; which I think is the whole motive behind this idea. 

I remember when I was courting my first wife... where she lived in Penketh was a street of three bed semis with a garage and driveway. One family across the road had built an extension on their house because they had 4 kids over the years... the kids lived at home and all had cars as did the husband and wife....  6 cars with one space on the drive and a space at the front plus another of they blocked a car in on the drive.... which they never did, they just used to park outside every one elses house 

As PJ said, Ignorant and selfish

Even where I live now one of my neighbours has a couple of cars and they have 2 kids who have both moved out but seem to spend more time at home now than when they lived there... another 2 cars all weekend plus the inlaws come round too... I have a big drive and can get about 5 cars on mine but they think nothing of blocking part of mine off as an overflow car park.... and as for Christmas.... they have the smallest drive but always have the biggest parties... its like the IKEA car park outside then :)

Probably so, but who is to say who can and who can't have a car?   Whilst it may be that the current ovine nature of the British population may lead to acceptance of such life style interference, it may also be the case, that to deprive them of their cherished car, may be a bridge too far.

Probably so, but who is to say who can and who can't have a car?   Whilst it may be that the current ovine nature of the British population may lead to acceptance of such life style interference, it may also be the case, that to deprive them of their cherished car, may be a bridge too far.

There are places and housing estates where cars are banned and owning one is not an option.... it just takes time and in the case of the ignorant ones; enforcement. If you can't park it on your drive or directly outside your house, make other arrangements or don't have one

So it is up to the council to both apply the ban and enforce it, which will mean more Blue Meanies (traffic wardens) to employ and so a rise in council costs and taxation.

Double yellow lines are no real deterrent just a quick walk round the hospital grounds proves that, Double yellows everywhere  with cars parked on them and footpaths.

Haven't got an answer to the problem though,part of which is the need for personal transport to get to and from work for most people.

Our road is quite narrow so anyone that doesn't put a couple of wheels on the pavement forces other cars to drive over the opposite pavement which could be argued is just as dangerous.  

Virtually everyone on our road parks partially on the pavement but one in particular doesn't but you can't argue with someone who claims they're in the right and everyone else is in the wrong.

Bottom line is common sense and judgement of the local conditions should take priority over a one rule that tries to cover every situation.

Bill :)

• Upvote 1

That could also come in handy for doing an oil change or road side repairs Baz.

What would happen if the council have approved these bays & an optically challenged person walks into a car & falls & gets seriously injured. You can't really say "he/she should have seen it" & the council could be liable.

• Upvote 1