Con trick?

observer

So G/Manchester are to have a £6billion devolved budget for health and social services. Alas they already have to make cuts of £2billion in existing budgets. So with less money spread more thinly, is the Government merely transferring the blame for reducing services to local politicians?

Whilst I agree with the principle of devolution, it would be far more consistent with the Scottish devolution to opt for a Federal system based on Regional Governments. But the Tories are averse to "Government", they want less. This back of an envelope operation is (as you've said) basically a return to the Metropolitan County Councils closed down by Thatcher (as they tended to be Labour). All this nonsense about a Northern Powerhouse, is exactly that - nonsense; unless funds are transferred from London and the S/East; the North will continue to be a wasteland of abandoned dark satanic mills.

Apparently, the Manchester flagship is having this massive budget in one pot to be drawn upon by it's various services. This fund will be managed(?) by the people who are  currently responsible  for year on year budget deficits.in their own departments. I wonder how long it will take for a government bail out to be needed.

I was just reading a newspaper article about the massive gap between house prices in the north & south & it makes HS2 sound more like a tool for just widening the London commuter belt. Work in the capital & get an affordable house in the north ,if you can afford the fares that is.