pommie lass

VICTORIA PARK

I wonder if anyone has any old photos of Victoria Park.   Somewhere between 1950 and late 60's maybe.   I seem to remember there used to be a bandstand there?  Does anyone remember those days?

I loved that park.  One of my favourite places.  Mum and Dad used to take us to play on the swings and Dad taught us to ride our bikes there.   Then there was the walking day fair.  So many great memories.  I have a photo somewhere of my sister and me which I think was taken there.  Not sure but I will dig it out.  You might be  able to tell for sure francine. 

Well that's me told :lol: :lol: :lol:   I did have a quick look through all mine but couldn't find one but I'll have another look......

Is that the bandstand centre in your Algy as it's completely different from the one in my pic.  How would people see the bands playing ?  I'm confused now....as usual  :lol:

That is definitely not the bandstand in the middle of algy's photo.  Not sure what it is but I can see the old kiosk in the far left.

That is the Pavilion... 

A few aerial shots from the 1920's... the arrow is pointing at the WW1 tank that used to face onto Knutsford Road and given to the town after the war

12274769_10153691795014593_7765175242510

12246821_10153691795024593_7410124812392

12235066_10153691795019593_4663709882865

More an Orford Park man myself, but i seem to remember the Victoria band stand was well off the driveway and more towards

Latchford village, (100 yards?) much more like Dizzy's picture.).

As a boastful aside, I got 50 not out on one of their concrete pitches and when the innings was over i was told that Never Say Die had

won the Derby. and I had bet it.   Been steadily downhill ever since.

Happy days

If you look to the left of Algy'ys picture there is a flat roof among the trees ,is that the bandstand? There seems to be a bowling green bottom left so the big building might be to do with that.

I have posted some aerial shots of Victoria park in the old photos section.

Did you know there used to be a pond in the park, at the rear of the pavilion.  Also, the little circular shop that used to sell seeds to the allotment keepers, and ice lollies in the 70's

mimocuja