EU - in or out?

Gary

Just a thought, if, as the Prime Minister says, leaving the EU would be a disaster for the UK, why did he call a Referendum? The debate on both sides, has frankly been a disgrace....and with another month to go it can only get worse, with unsubstantiated claims and counter claims. Even though I never wanted a Referendum, but will vote, I hope there is a large turnout with a clear result. And what will be will be, and we just have to get on making the best of the situation....in or out, I sense the UK, and its hard pressed citizens, will be shafted one way or another.

• Upvote 2

It is disappointing to hear that both Cameron and Osborne clearly admit to not being up to the job should we vote out. That they writhe around making puerile and unfounded predictions is equally disappointing. We currently trade with the EU incurring a massive deficit. I understand that only once, in 1975, did we trade in surplus. For that reason the rest of Europe will continue to trade with us. It would be unlikely that any individual EU nation would impose any kind of tariff, particularly Germany, because it would be reciprocated and that wouldn't make business sense. No European nationals currently exercising their Treaty rights (to reside and seek work) in the UK will be asked to leave because businesses won't want to lose staff and the process would be highly impractical. As far as a recession is concerned: we have had several during our tenure in the EU and we're still here. In fact, most of us don't know that we are out of the last one yet. Therefore, from an economic perspective I believe leaving would not cause 'catastrophe'.

Should house prices actually drop 18%, then Mr Osborne should be pleased that the children of ordinary folk might be able to afford to buy one. Should he stop wealthy foreigners from buying up every square inch of London, then a Londoner earning less than £100,000 pa might be able to buy one. They value of one's property is entirely relative: if the value drops 5%, then the cost of your next one will be 5% lower too. Like any market, a rise in value has a direct correlation to a rise in the number of potential purchasers. So, no catastrophe there either.

Having the right to elect leaders and political decision makers is definitely desirable. As we do not have that democratic right with the European Commission, just a 1/28th voice (and I can't even name ours), I believe it to be imperative that we leave the Union. The acquisition of democracy will not be catastrophic either.

Having more control of our borders is desirable, as without controllable numbers no institution can be expected to budget accurately which is proving extraordinarily difficult in our schools and the NHS as it is. Being able to budget reasonably must be a good thing and not catastrophic. I could go on...

• Upvote 2

It is disappointing to hear that both Cameron and Osborne clearly admit to not being up to the job should we vote out. That they writhe around making puerile and unfounded predictions is equally disappointing. We currently trade with the EU incurring a massive deficit. I understand that only once, in 1975, did we trade in surplus. For that reason the rest of Europe will continue to trade with us. It would be unlikely that any individual EU nation would impose any kind of tariff, particularly Germany, because it would be reciprocated and that wouldn't make business sense. No European nationals currently exercising their Treaty rights (to reside and seek work) in the UK will be asked to leave because businesses won't want to lose staff and the process would be highly impractical. As far as a recession is concerned: we have had several during our tenure in the EU and we're still here. In fact, most of us don't know that we are out of the last one yet. Therefore, from an economic perspective I believe leaving would not cause 'catastrophe'.

Should house prices actually drop 18%, then Mr Osborne should be pleased that the children of ordinary folk might be able to afford to buy one. Should he stop wealthy foreigners from buying up every square inch of London, then a Londoner earning less than £100,000 pa might be able to buy one. They value of one's property is entirely relative: if the value drops 5%, then the cost of your next one will be 5% lower too. Like any market, a rise in value has a direct correlation to a rise in the number of potential purchasers. So, no catastrophe there either.

Having the right to elect leaders and political decision makers is definitely desirable. As we do not have that democratic right with the European Commission, just a 1/28th voice (and I can't even name ours), I believe it to be imperative that we leave the Union. The acquisition of democracy will not be catastrophic either.

Having more control of our borders is desirable, as without controllable numbers no institution can be expected to budget accurately which is proving extraordinarily difficult in our schools and the NHS as it is. Being able to budget reasonably must be a good thing and not catastrophic. I could go on...

For the love of all that's holy please don't ????

I think project Europe will be a very interesting organisation in 20 or 30 years time when Turkey, the Balkan states & probably a few former Russian satellite states all have their feet under the table, especially if right wing politics take off in Austria & Germany. Some of these newcomers will have had more brutal regimes than the Third Reich.I think the conglomerate is heading for a future of confrontation & political unrest with just a few productive countries providing for the trailing masses.

Well the ex-head of MI6 has spelt out what the future will be, for those who can't work it out for themselves, and need to be told by people in authority. The whole rotten structure will implode, and perhaps now is the time to disengage, before we get dragged down with it.  Having said that, it won't be plain sailing for us until we're free of the legal straight jacket of the ECHR, which will allow us to defend our borders and return asap, those who enter illegally.

Well Antisthenes has quite clearly set out the case for leaving,and Paul Kennedy has made a very telling point asking why, if leaving is going to be such a disaster, Cameron called for a referendum in the first place. In the mean time PJ puts no case at all for remaining, just takes pot shots from the wings. Interesting times indeed. I can see that whatever the result of the vote, that will not be the end of the matter.

• Upvote 2

Is that your best shot PJ? Nothing positive to tell us about Remain? Don't be shy.

And the purpose of my doing so would be? If you have a tv switch it on, take off the blinkers and listen to both sides of the argument.

Likewise Asp: the so-called debate to-date has been basically total speculation about an unknowable future, some based on current trends but much plucked out of thin air. The only known FACTS, are what has happened and what is happening. I'd be interested in hearing some positives from the REMAIN camp along those lines.