Pensions ?

Osbourne backed of pension changes, no doubt with his eye on the Tory leadership. But assuming young folk even think about pensions, can they afford them?  The State Pension is likely to be worthless by the time youngsters reach 70 or 80, if they're lucky. So aren't we looking at a future of pensioner poverty and a generation well and truly worse off than their parents?

Think the idea is Dave; to minimise the amount of time spent in retirement, thus reducing costs to Gov.  But your right, not that a Conservative mind could conceive of the idea;  but with more automation, less folk will actually be required to work.  However, consumers will still be required, and in order to consume they will require money.  The only question then is, where and from whom does all this money come from ?   :wink:

Well if you think back, the so called technological revolution was suppose to bring us all more free leisure time but it's not really worked out that way has it. We're all still working pretty much the same hours each week and those that are working are working longer due to the pension age being pushed back or as with me there's insufficient dosh in my pension pot to maintain my millionaire lifestyle.

Bill :)

Wasn't it John Major when he was PM who said we would all soon be retiring at 55 with loads-a-money & lots to do ?

On the other, working the oldsters to death while youngsters are on benefits plus 16 hour working weeks is good for statistics....potentially 3 people off the unemployment figures to do what could well be one job.

When I started work in 1967 I was told that by the time I reached 55 that would be the retirement age for everyone. Now they're saying everyone should work into their 70s (because everyone is living longer!) There's some twisted logic there I suppose but politicians....................................................

5 months to retirement and I can't wait 8) :cool: 8)

but politicians....................................................

And other civil servants get to retire at 60 with a decent pension linked to the rpi so it increases every year.

Get put in the house of lords with free board and lodging only having to go home to change.