Other Empty Buildings

Milky

While we all have been talking about the Cabinet Works, how about others that are being neglected around Warrington, the vicarage next to the Cabinet Works that have already once been given the death warrant, the old pub that I believe used to  ticket office, the old school in Grapenhall which was moved to Wooolston and has been left empty by the council.

I am sure there are many others

Yes Milky, there are many others. Much of our heritage has already been demolished and much is under threat and being 'neglected' until in such a state that demolition could be considered.

The only way to stop the rot would be to show those responsible that their neglect will not ultimately lead to profit. 

In my opinion, the most effective way to do this would be to have a complete overhaul of the planning department, etc and employ a regeneration officer with an interest in preserving our heritage.

It is the responsibility of our Councillor's to ensure that effective and efficient officers are appointed, so what really needs to be done first is to ensure that the right councillors are elected.      

Just asking; but are these buildings being asked to be saved for their own sake or will they have a current use? I can see that retention in the case of conservation areas, where historic buildings have a context, providing a period character to a street scene, but alas most have been lost. Notice, that a 5 storey building is being built directly opposite to Cromwell's Cottage in Church St; yet another nail in the coffin of the conservation area.

Just asking; but are these buildings being asked to be saved for their own sake or will they have a current use? I can see that retention in the case of conservation areas, where historic buildings have a context, providing a period character to a street scene, but alas most have been lost. Notice, that a 5 storey building is being built directly opposite to Cromwell's Cottage in Church St; yet another nail in the coffin of the conservation area.

If a building can not be used for its original purpose then another use can be found for iit in most cases, with some will and imagination

• Upvote 1

Milk, as I said, I can see some point in preserving the period character and context of an area with conservation areas, but the retention of individual building for it's own sake, sounds like expensive nostalgia. On this basis we'd have finished up saving some Celtic round house or Saxon hall. :wink: 

wirerob1, whilst most of the general public, like you, seem to wonder 'how do they get away with it?' those who should be asking questions don't seem to.

As well as the loss of the buildings just how much is it costing in fire and police services? Who pays for these?
Also, if the fire service is tied up on these incidents there is a danger that somewhere else lives may be at risk.

'Accidents' or 'arson' or 'vandalism' which seem to benefit developers seems to be quite frequent countrywide and no-one but the general public seems to bat an eyelid!  

Milk, as I said, I can see some point in preserving the period character and context of an area with conservation areas, but the retention of individual building for it's own sake, sounds like expensive nostalgia. On this basis we'd have finished up saving some Celtic round house or Saxon hall. :wink: 

Saving some Celtic round houses and Saxon Halls would have been of great benefit to the tourist industry!

And just what kind of a planning department have we got that allows this?

And what kind of Council and town Councillors have we got that allows them to allow this?

We need to elect councillors that will employ officers who have some respect for our heritage and who understand the importance of heritage to tourism and creating attractive town centres for economic growth.

Who would choose to shop in a bland depressing town when they could buy the same things in a more pleasant environment?

Glad you mentioned tourism Sha; as this issue of heritage has a wider angle to it. One building in isolation, unless something like a stately home may not constitute a tourist attraction. Cities like York and Chester, have a wealth of sites and associations to form an attraction; alas with the loss of conservation areas like Church St, we don't have them. We could of course build facsimile buildings to replicate various periods for the tourists, but I doubt that would please the purists. As for the Planning Dept; planning is (or should be) based on policies; alas political expediency tends to disregard them.  :wink:

Glad you mentioned tourism Sha; as this issue of heritage has a wider angle to it. One building in isolation, unless something like a stately home may not constitute a tourist attraction. Cities like York and Chester, have a wealth of sites and associations to form an attraction; alas with the loss of conservation areas like Church St, we don't have them. We could of course build facsimile buildings to replicate various periods for the tourists, but I doubt that would please the purists. As for the Planning Dept; planning is (or should be) based on policies; alas political expediency tends to disregard them.  :wink:

The issue of heritage has a far wider angle to it! Heritage makes a town more appealing to visitors. Warrington town centre becomes more bland and boring, as each year passes, let's be honest it's becoming that much of a dump even people who live in the town prefer to shop elsewhere. Most towns now have the same major stores so it doesn't matter where you go you still have much the same choice for shopping. The towns that are attractive to shoppers are the ones that are attractive to visit. Warrington is a depressing dump!

The plans for the town centre regeneration are like the final nail in the coffin - destruction beyond repair. There's a place for modern design but it's not next to and completely overshadowing the distinctive heritage features of the town. Modern developments might have been more appropriate at Cockedge or the Wharf but not behind bridge street.

The regeneration plans are not in line with planning policies.  And in Warrington I think they have been driven not by anything to do with politics but by the ego feeding aims of just a few talentless individuals. 

Most town centres are run down due to the craze of building out of town shopping centres.Many people now are conditioned to drive miles & sit for hours in queues of traffic to visit an out of town mall at the expense of their own local shops selling the same stuff.

I am not sure what you mean by expensive nostalgia, are you suggesting all buildings when they reach an age of say 50 should be demolished and replaced?

Demolishing a building the Cabinet works has a huge impact on the environment, waste, transport and congestion, pollution then you need new material to replace the material that has been put into landfill.

Buildings like the cabinet works have been left to deteriorate and this is why they are more expensive to bring back to use. The old pub - forget the last name of it, reading on here that it used to be called the pack house - on the corner if Mersey st and bridge st has been left with its windows open so that the weather and wild life will cause serious damage to it.

Sha:Folk don't visit Town Centres to admire the Townscape, the come for the cheapest buys in the shops etc. The problem with Warrington has been the development of a mini T/Centre (GGS) within the T/Centre, shifting the centre of gravity to the N/W; a succession of piece meal, isolated developments rather than an adherence to an holistic plan for the whole T/C; which could take account of heritage issues. Milky: I'm sure building can last as long as they're structurally safe, not costly to maintain and have a current use. But as I've said; preservation in isolation, for it's own sake, can be a waste of money.

Sha:Folk don't visit Town Centres to admire the Townscape, the come for the cheapest buys in the shops etc.

Not true at all, well it might be true of Warrington but people go on days out and they go to places like Chester and Liverpool, they go to meet friends, they go to pubs and restaurants, they even go to do shopping for things like clothes.

My 13 year old niece goes into Warrington most Saturdays and although her spending power is limited - £20 or so pounds a week - multiply that by the number of teens in Warrington and it is not a small amount. IN five years time she willl have a car and will be going out of town too.

Still I am sure in a few years people will be drawn into Warrington by the millions to see the new council offices.

Yes it is true: generally folk shop for the cheapest buys, won't wonder round Town admiring the architecture as their faces are usually stuck in their mobile phone. Yes, some folk may visit Chester or York for a day out, but not necessarily for a general shop, as shopping tends to be a tad more expensive.  :wink:

Cos they want free parking, step on to escalators etc; maybe even admire the tacky modern architecture, if not immersed in their mobile phones !.

A cost of renting a 162sq m shop in the Trafford Center is around £316,000 and rates of £136,000, sure this is generated by  by free parking and rides on escalators.

And pontificating profusely about things of which he has very little knowledge! :lol:

It would be interesting to see what knowledge he has of the history of Bewsey and Whitecross.... seeing as he was neither born there or even lives there and from what I can find, has no connection with the area at all other than being the Labour councillor for the area

It would be interesting to see what knowledge he has of the history of Bewsey and Whitecross.... seeing as he was neither born there or even lives there and from what I can find, has no connection with the area at all other than being the Labour councillor for the area

Well, until he got deselected.