Silver Lane Travellers - and they're back!!!

Gary

From the News page;

"Cllr Sue Bland said:.......This means the police cannot take action because they have no firm evidence as to who did it".

The same should apply to the Cabinet works then! No proof who did the damage to these buildings - but according to Steve Parish the police (and fire brigade) want rid of them.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, I went somewhat off topic in my last post.

Re the travellers,

It must make you wonder though, considering the fact how many people carry smart phones these days, how come out of a number of witnesses to the act no-one has ever managed to get a photo?

Also, if security on this this site was really effective, where would the travellers have ended up? on perhaps a more unsuitable site?

Perhaps bureaucracy & health & safety get in the way with matters like this. How about a different approach ?....water cannon,dogs, truncheons & tear gas for a start.All our other present Euro partners seem to be able to deal with matters in that way without being pilloried by the namby pamby brigade.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps bureaucracy & health & safety get in the way with matters like this. How about a different approach ?....water cannon,dogs, truncheons & tear gas for a start.All our other present Euro partners seem to be able to deal with matters in that way without being pilloried by the namby pamby brigade.

I did a road trip on Thursday afternoon. I left Chester at 3pm and by 1am (LT), I was disembarking the ferry at Calais going to collect an old car from the middle of Germany. I haven't been on the Dover Calais ferry for a few years now (although I did pop into Calais in May last year to have a look at the massive railway gun at the Toft barracks while on my WW1/WW2 expedition).

If you have never been to Calais via the ferry, basically you drive off the boat and you are then corralled towards the A16 motorway and off on your way to the rest of France.... (unlike the migrants in the jungle there, the French are quite good at getting foreigners out of Calais!)

Anyway, I was shocked how much fencing has been erected since last time I was on the roads from the port.... there must be at least 2 miles of it, high, razor-wire topped - all good in light of what it is there for, but must be awful to be a resident of the town of Calais now with tens of thousands of migrants hanging about the place..... What also amazed me was the number of police cars and vans I saw in the short section of just a few miles of road until I reached the A26 and headed up towards Belgium, Holland and then into Germany (arriving about 10am on Friday morning, somewhere near Frankfurt)... there must have been nigh on 100 different police vehicles lights flashing, sirens wailing and coppers everywhere. Whether this was a typical night or not, one thing is certain.... with all that police prescence, it would be quite easy to remove the jungle and the people in it.... however, having so many cops about does mean the chances of getting over here must be diminished....

Although I had a return ticket, I decided to cancel the return from Calais as I was aware that carrying an old car with unlockable doors and a dodgy boot lock would have been like moths around a light bulb for those wanting to head over here to the land of milk and money, so I got my money back (oh the joys of a flexible ticket) and booked the overnight boat from Rotterdam for Friday night instead..... 2 days, 1300 miles and a wild road trip under the belt.... so much better than staying at home cooking lasagne :)

Less than six months ago the news that a group of loveable nomads had set up illegal camp somewhere in the town would have had a spokesman from WBC announcing that 'something must be done!' and that for all our benefits the council was going to have to rush out and borrow two million quid to build a nice new traveller camp to make the problem go away.

Strangely, the last couple of incursions have met with...silence.

I dare say they'll pick up the megaphone again once May 5th has safely passed and they're all good for 4 years, especially the ones who know their ward will be getting the gift which will keep on giving but are keeping their traps shut.

• Upvote 1

Re the travellers,

It must make you wonder though, considering the fact how many people carry smart phones these days, how come out of a number of witnesses to the act no-one has ever managed to get a photo?

Er fear of reprisal springs to mind.

given the state of video surveillance these days why is it so difficult to get evidence. they know where the offence is happening, surely a few strategically placed cameras could be arranged. if they can film chicks in a nest at the top of a church tower in the dark then surely they can film a few miscreants cutting the lock off a gate in broad daylight. cricket stumps have cameras in them why not fit a few into gate posts or fence posts. can't be cost as aldi were selling wireless web cams for about thirty quid teh other week and those have pan and tilt on them as well.

• Upvote 2

Er fear of reprisal springs to mind.

given the state of video surveillance these days why is it so difficult to get evidence. they know where the offence is happening, surely a few strategically placed cameras could be arranged. if they can film chicks in a nest at the top of a church tower in the dark then surely they can film a few miscreants cutting the lock off a gate in broad daylight. cricket stumps have cameras in them why not fit a few into gate posts or fence posts. can't be cost as aldi were selling wireless web cams for about thirty quid teh other week and those have pan and tilt on them as well.

Because then there would be evidence that it didn't happen how they are saying and their reasons to rush through the demolition would disappear!!

Too true but I guess it keeps our brain cells working trying to figure out where we are and what we are/were talking about :lol:  

Anyway back to the travelers......... some have moved onto the old Bayleaf carpark on Harpers Lane, Padgate AGAIN tonight having allegedly  taken some fencing down to get in.  I don't know if it's the same lot that are/were on Silver Lane or different ones.

It's like being stuck in a time warp and round and round they go descending on the same places time and time again whenever they fancy.

Presumably this is the same lawless crap and run element who are supposed to make a beeline for the new council site and then sit there meekly, after cheerfully paying good money for the privilege.

That's going to work.

I think the idea is that if they don't head to the new site, the council and police have more scope to remove them from the Borough. The question is whether that will work. We'll find out soon enough* where it is to be sited.

* Sometime after May 5th. 

I know some travellers who craftily bought a plot of land ,with planning permission, at auction from the owner who had decided to shelve his aspirations. They moved in & secured the land when the council offices were shut over the Christmas (can i say Christmas ?) period.

Nothing has changed apart from the the council being faced with something that has been cut and dried before they get wind of it.

If he'd  have cut it down first then applied then they have no choice, they can't have expected him to put it back can they.

The deed is done and cannot be undone principle. (which seems to be gathering momentum among developers these days). :ph34r:

The travellers moved off the Bayleaf carpark at Padgate on Sunday leaving a right bloody mess and trail of destruction behind them.........

....and now there's about 20 caravans + cars/vans parked up around the grass verges the last island on Dipping Brook Lane/Ave? as you turn to go up Blackcap Road to Appleton Thorn. 

I'd imagine, well I'd hope, they will be moved pretty quickly from there though with it being a road and island. 

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently some have parked up today on/near Dallam Lane near to Tesco and the Stadium. 

I wonder if these are a new lot passing through or the some of the same ones who have blighted Warrington recently and are on their way back to 'wherever' or some of the group that Wigan Council finally managed to move off Pennington Flash last weekend.