So. it's all about jobs ? !

observer

I think also a problem is that the nuclear industry is keeping parts of Scotland & Cumbria alive ,there is very little industry apart from that. I believe that Tata steel have announced 1300 job loss in what is left of the British steel industry with 750 at Port Talbot alone.

Again Asp, "market" forces, supply and demand: with a slow down of the Chinese and world economy generally, demand has reduced thus reducing the world market price to levels that make production unviable. However, the Chinese are prepared to retain their world market share by undercutting the rest and selling at a loss, subsidised by the State. Unfortunately, EU rules prevent us from likewise subsidising our steel industry, even if it's regarded as a strategic necessity. One has to contrast this to the public rescue of the banks after the crash, something that may be happening again. The "market" runs on greed, and has no social conscience or National affinities.

I once watched a BBC programme where the presenter said that ,with hindsight,the British economy was in the hands of fate as soon as the first effects of industrial revolution were felt by the world.I suppose that is correct considering that every invention in whatever context is labour saving & the only reason we have economies is to feed the masses. If economies falter then so does the means of providing  for the population without having to resort to a welfare system.

The manufacturing world is exhausting itself.

First cheap human labour, next cheaper robotics. However, production still requires consumption in order for the whole thing to work; so I guess some re-thinking of our economic systems will be required; which suggests money needs to find it's way to the majority in order to keep spending and maintaining demand, so that the whole merry go round keeps turning. :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

:lol:   But it would provide a good excuse for sending all those young men back from Europe !   :wink:

Anyone who thinks that those who are in Europe already are going to be flooding back to their countries of origin are certainly very deluded. At best we can expect them to invoke their rights to a family life under European law and then that will allow the rest of their extended family to join them over in Europe.

Why would they want to go back to a country that has been practically destroyed by just about every airforce on the planet? 

I could imagine the next  big economic area will be the countries on the eastern fringes of Europe which have lower standards of living & income. I would expect this to be championed by Europe's wealthier countries to protect their own borders & economies from economic migrants.