Mayor of Warrington de-selected by Labour Party!

Gary

Words fail me!!!

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2016/01/12/mayor-of-warrington-de-selected-by-labour-party/

Geoff has been a great ambassador for the town and has been a great ward councillor.

Good to see him standing down with dignity.

Would love to see what happened if he stood as an independent.

If we had more independent councillors not gagged by their political parties I am sure a lof more good work would get done.

• Upvote 2

Words fail me!!!

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2016/01/12/mayor-of-warrington-de-selected-by-labour-party/

Geoff has been a great ambassador for the town and has been a great ward councillor.

Good to see him standing down with dignity.

Would love to see what happened if he stood as an independent.

If we had more independent councillors not gagged by their political parties I am sure a lof more good work would get done.

I couldn't agree more. I suspect what would happen is that the main parties would stitch them up and do everything they could to drive them out, whatever it took. 

Geoff has been one of the best local councillors I have met and I dont think they will replace him with such a dedicated worker to this ward.

I for one and many others round here will I suspect be "deselecting them"  this year,  They must be out of their heads

• Upvote 2

What was the question Geoff said he answered wrong? Without knowing this it's impossible to comment on whether his de-selection was logical or not.

If it was "Do you support the Labour Party?" or "Can you commit your time for the next 4 years?" a 'NO' answer would leave them no alternative but to deselect him. Instead of leaving the issue open to speculation why didn't he just give the facts?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's ridiculous and surely that shouldn't be allowed.  Why does each ward have to have a woman standing ?

If the rules state that then before you know it there will have to be a coloured person standing, a disabled person standing etc etc etc.  I mean no disrespect by using those as examples by the way.

Can you imagine the size of the ballott papers if every party decided that every "type" of person were to be represented in each ward???

Just shows how crackers the labour Party has become....

So when the woman Labour candidate comes round canvassing, the first question you ask should now be "are you here because you are going to be a good councillor or because you are a woman"?

We have to be aware of the world that is coming in this regard. There will be quotas for women in all the roles they want but not in those they don't. So expect to see 50 percent female councillors (which is fine by me unless it's imposed) but not 50 percent female refuse collectors. By the way, there are already academic institutions where meetings on any subject cannot take place unless there are women speakers and that men are not allowed to speak ahead of women. This kind of practice will enter the mainstream within a few years. 

I'm all for egalitarianism, and women obviously are disadvantaged in many ways, but the new wave of feminism which manifests itself in the imposition of women rather than the best candidate says that it is not an egalitarian movement at all. 

• 2 weeks later...