Seal Spotting

Dizzy

Aww I wont sleep tonight now you've said that Gary :( 

I'm rather ashamed to say that my grandfather or great grandfather (can't remember which one of them my mum said it was) helped to catch/kill the one that's stuffed in the museum :(   I used to hate seeing it when mum took us to the museum and always reminded us.

I wonder if they the RSPCA etc will try and catch this one to release back to the sea as it must be lonely on it's own as don't they usually live together in groups ? At least there's not many predators in the Mersey that would want to eat it so maybe it's safer where it is.  Plenty of fish for it to eat too. 

How lovely is that! Many thanks to David Bowman for sharing the video & Gary of course for putting it on WWW. I wish I'd seen it live!

A bit worried about it though, will it be safe? and is the Mersey not too polluted? I hope the RSPC ensure it survives.

I think they are more resilient than you might imagine Dizzy, I see them far out in the North Sea watching the ships go by. And Polar Bears are a bit thin on the ground round Warrington also.

I hope so Asp but can't help thinking it might be lonely hence it's eagerness to get up close to the gent filming it :(

My other half reminded me tonight, after seeing the news on here, how seals kept popping up in the water some years ago when he teaching our son to canoe at Anglesey.  I've only ever seen them when we went out on a boat to Puffin Island though and they were all together in groups and so lovely to watch.

You should take your camera and post us some photo's of your travels across the seas, they would be fab to see especially for me who never sets foot off dry land, p in the air or even out of Warrington these days :D 

As for polar bears...well I'd love to see one of those round here.  Maybe one day with all this so called global warming and stuff  :lol:

I don't think you would like to see a polar bear Dizzy, not unless it was in a cage anyway. They aren't the nice cuddly creatures some people would have you believe. A polar bear would see you as a meal with clothes on!

If I had a decent camera with zoom I could get some good pictures at sea, but not with the small one I have with me.

The Mersey is full of fish these days Sha so can't be that polluted.  There have been other photos posted on-line and on facebook of the seal chomping on huge pike in there (they are said to be pike anyway).

The Mersey might be full of fish Diz but are the fish full of metals & chemicals?

The reason song thrushes have declined is because they eat live slugs that have eaten poison slug pellets! Hope you are right and the fish are not 'polluted'. (I wouldn't risk eating anything out the Mersey though, yuck!!)

Didn't the last seal found in Warrington die? I can't remember exactly what it died of. I just hope they get this lovely little creature safely back to it's seal family. As you said, it must be lonely by now.

I don't think you would like to see a polar bear Dizzy, not unless it was in a cage anyway. They aren't the nice cuddly creatures some people would have you believe. A polar bear would see you as a meal with clothes on!

If I had a decent camera with zoom I could get some good pictures at sea, but not with the small one I have with me.

I wonder what I'd taste like ? :lol:

Shame you haven't got a zoom camera.  You can get them really cheap these days so maybe we should all club together and buy you one.  Even my old little Canon Powershot sx130 has a good zoom.  I paid just over £100 for mine new about 5/6 years ago but last time I saw them in the shops they were only about £50.  I still use mine a lot even though I have a DSLR...no zoom on that and it bugs me.

The Mersey might be full of fish Diz but are the fish full of metals & chemicals?

The reason song thrushes have declined is because they eat live slugs that have eaten poison slug pellets! Hope you are right and the fish are not 'polluted'. (I wouldn't risk eating anything out the Mersey though, yuck!!)

Didn't the last seal found in Warrington die? I can't remember exactly what it died of. I just hope they get this lovely little creature safely back to it's seal family. As you said, it must be lonely by now.

I read some years ago that mercury levels in the livers of Mersey seals were among the highest ever recorded, IIRC the report claimed that pound for pound there was more mercury in their livers than in the ore the mercury came from.

I'll give the Seal Liver Pate a miss, methinks.