Flood warnings

Gary

As I've said: this will continue to happen, so let's adapt; all living and shopping should now be moved to first floor level, with pedestrian walkways at first floor level; which should free up some space for ground level parking in Towns. It will no doubt take time, and planning authorities sticking to policies and the advice of the EA, NOT to grant permissions within the flood plain. As for EU funding, whilst we've contributed a large share of it, it would seem logical to claim it back!  :wink:

As I've said: this will continue to happen, so let's adapt; all living and shopping should now be moved to first floor level, with pedestrian walkways at first floor level; which should free up some space for ground level parking in Towns. It will no doubt take time, and planning authorities sticking to policies and the advice of the EA, NOT to grant permissions within the flood plain. As for EU funding, whilst we've contributed a large share of it, it would seem logical to claim it back!  :wink:

So every house in Britain is to be redesigned and built and all pedestrian walkways ( pavements) to be elevated ,  you live in cloud cuckoo land.  Is there even a number large enough to quantify how much that would cost?

We could all drive round in hover craft in case the roads flood.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The point is that this disruption & damage is being caused by the weather & whether it is global warming or part of the earth's natural cycle no one knows & there are probably no historical records that tell us the long term rainfall of these areas,probably as far back as the last 10,000 years. As for insurance premiums it is immoral that insurance companies hope to gain the misery of their customers.

Re-designing our housing types and locations, our Towns, would indeed cost a lot, but would be a generational exercise; one that could have been started 40 years ago if planning authorities had taken heed of the EA.  There are parts of the world that actually rely on "flooding" to grow their rice, which tend to build their houses on stilts. It's about adapting to a given environment, carry on living and building in the same old way, and you'll keep being flooded in the same old way - which will "cost" as much.  :roll:

I like rice but not that much  :lol:

Rather than redesigning the world, wouldn't it make sense to use something like the storm drains that they have in the states? Or just dig a bloomin big hole that could then be used as a reservoir for the times when we don't have enough water?? 

Problem is that we don't want to spend money and only build the defences up as much as the weather experts predict we need. Well I predict that this current weather is the worst we'll see for the next hundred years, after all I can't be much more wrong in saying that than the current load of experts. :lol:

Bill :)

• Upvote 1

I like rice but not that much  :lol:

Rather than redesigning the world, wouldn't it make sense to use something like the storm drains that they have in the states? Or just dig a bloomin big hole that could then be used as a reservoir for the times when we don't have enough water?? 

Far too simple Bill, much better to rebuild every house and shop and office and thoroughfare in Britain, should only take every single penny the country has for the next 100 years.

Observer, this is one of the most ridiculous flights of fancy I have ever heard.  You must be thicker than  a rhinos foreskin if you believe your theory to be credible.

errm nope; your proof that new technology has destroyed imagination, which destroys ideas, and in turn solutions. Any "solution" will cost money. If, has you tree huggers predict, we're in for extreme weather from now on, due to climate change, then any one with any sense will adapt to the changes; otherwise you can withdraw to that cave in Gibraltar !!! Bill, I think we already have a storm drain, they call it the MSC ! Other, no doubt expensive, ideas being floated (not by me); is the suggestion that houses can be "water proofed", exactly how that's done, would be interesting.

The climate must be changing, the first cuckoo of spring and its still December. Redesign and build the whole county again, What a nutter.  Forgetting the offices shops, utilities, roads and pavements etc.  just to rebuild the houses is so far fetched as to be laughable.  If a house on stilts could be built for £100000 which is very conservative it would cost £2500000000000 to replace the 25 million homes in the UK.  I don't even know how to say that number.  Utter childish bunkem.  I won't let you forget this whopper.  At least it has given me my biggest laugh of the festive season.

Well looked at another way, with three major floodings in ten years that all exceeded what the experts called a one in a hundred year event then we can be sure the worst is yet to come in the remaining ninety years. It'll take a bit more than damp proofing to solve this problem so in the longer term, Observers comments might not be too far off the mark. Don't like the idea of carrying my bike up to a stilted house or having to take the bins out so if it got that bad I'd move.

We certainly ought to stop building anywhere near rivers because it just doesn't make sense. Two hundred years ago the rivers were the lifeline for most towns but these days it's a life threat. I say give the flood plains back to the marginal farmers in exchange for some dry green belt and the problem's solved and the best bit is that we still have ninety years to do this. :lol:

Bill I am all for building new houses to be flood proof, this makes sense.  What doesn't make sense is replacing all the existing housing stock and retail etc. with stilted structures.  It is absolutely ridiculous to suggest it as a viable solution.  Why don't we just construct a huge wall around the country 40 feet high to stop flooding from the sea and then build a dome over the whole of the UK like a rather large version of the Eden Project.  Utter fantasy and hilarious to boot.

we could always invest in house boats, a cheap practical alternative. use them like static caravans with the advantage that when the area floods they gently rise with the flood water and so do not flood. Sufficiently strong ground anchors could be used to stop them floating away and storage of a couple of light canoes or inflatable dinghy's for getting back and to the the shops and half the problem solved at a stroke.

Just in case you hadn't noticed above your own din; there's a housing crisis. The Gov are promising to build more, of which around 100,000 are planned for sites in  flood plains. These will probably be standard semis, contributing to the urban sprawl and adding more tarmac for water to run off. So with increasing demand for living units, mainly for rent (as 50% of young adults can't afford a mortgage), it would make sense to start building up rather than out. So high rise, high density dwelling units would meet demand, be cheaper and keep folk above flood levels. :rolleyes:

You never said future builds, where it would make sense to construct them as flood proof as possible, you said all housing and shops and pedestrian walkways should be elevated to first floor level in areas at risk of flooding.  You seem to like to quote the EA, go take a look at their warning areas just for today, it covers most of the UK and that is just one storm.  Face it, it was a moronic idea, a bit of a brain fart that you probably wish had been silent.  That said please don't stop with the lunacy, its more fun than watching the telly.

The man with 37000 plus posts accusing people of posting on here too much,  you have to laugh.  Again a case of do as I say not as I do.  Tell me, do you live in a high rise habitation module?  It's not happening, all the existing housing stock will stay at the level it is at, there won't be any mass stilt building project.  Another moronic, ill conceived flight of fancy.  But very entertaining.  

Exaggerations?  its you who is deluded, raising the whole of British buildings 12 feet onto stilts, what a joke.  And I call this site what it is,  you see it as your Fletcher Memorial Home after the death of your political career. Tell me Oh wise one, how many buildings were passed and built under your time at the helm and why aren't any of them on stilts, including the brilliantly thought out Tesco and stadium on Winwick Road?

I think Obs has in mind that he opposed Tesco and the stadium as it went against policy on edge-of-town shopping.

For what it's worth, the National Policy on building in the flood plain boils down to:

● it must be demonstrated that the development provides wider sustainability benefits to the community that outweigh flood risk, informed by a Strategic Flood Risk Assessment where one has been prepared; and
● a site-specific flood risk assessment must demonstrate that the development will be safe for its lifetime taking account of the vulnerability of its users, without increasing flood risk elsewhere, and, where possible, will reduce flood risk overall.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1