Another one bites the dust

asperity

The anti smoking regulations were definitely OTT as shown in the example mentioned by numpy, when a publican can be fined for allowing smoking in the street outside his pub. Diesel vehicles give out more deadly emissions than smokers, but there are no sanctions against them. In fact they were encouraged by a certain Chancellor of the Exchequer who shall remain forever in our hearts.

Merely dogma driven policy making Asp; whether they wanted to eradicate "the pub" or not, they certainly succeeded. One could have respect for the health fascists, if they applied bans to all injurious activities in society and also if they had the guts to make cigs illegal and sacrifice the revenues.

Smoke in the areas specially provided for you and there will be no problems with fines. You aren't banned from smoking merely told where to go.   An amusing thing occurred to me at my local a while back, A bloke was stood in the doorway and as I went in he asked me" have you got a light?"  I replied " No, but I have a lovely set of pink lungs".  Can't think why but he didn't seem at all amused.  Sounds like the landlord mentioned was warned repeatedly and chose to ignore it, hence the fine.  As I said earlier, they provide toilets so you go there to dump, not on the carpets, I know making someone use the loo when that means they have to get up and walk a few yards is totally driven by political dogma but it's right all the same.

I'm broadly in favour of no smoking in pubs but still believe it's the principle cause of the closure of most of the traditional boozer type pubs.

Those that made a real effort to cater for smokers have actually done quite well and in such places it's quite normal to find more in the smoking area than inside. I agree that some people though are obsessive and take it way too far. The former landlord of the Plough once told me to stand in the rain on the other side of the car park if I wanted to smoke rather than near the building. His totally unreasonable attitude lost him four regular customers that day and I suspect many others ended up going the same way. 

Some people just don't know where to draw the common sense line between public health and personal freedom. Take for example the situation in hospitals where smoking isn't just banned in the building or outside but in the entire grounds. I visited one last year and the very fist sight on entering was four nurses all huddled round having a crafty fag out of sight behind the entrance sign. I'm nor sure but I think it might be the same rules now in public parks.

Where does Netto fit into all this anyway?  :P

Bill :)

So people can buy their Stella Artois at £1.25 per pint at Netto instead of £3.50 in the pub but that, of course, has no impact on pub closures.  I think an interesting experiment may be to tax supermarket beer at a higher rate and lower the tax of beer at the pub.  By lessening the disparity between the prices you may get more people in the pubs and less drinking at home.  I imagine that would be a better solution than allowing smokers to filthy up the air wherever they choose.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-2294301/JD-Wetherspoon-slams-supermarkets-tax-advantage-pubs.html