Sign in to follow this  
pommie lass

Rubery Owen

Here is another of my silly questions. 

For a very short time after I left school I worked in the offices of Rubery Owen which I remember as being on Liverpool Road in the Great Sankey area. It obviously is no longer there but does anyone remember the exact address and what is there now?

Pommie, it was along Liverpool Rd, as Sid said; there's a business park and housing there now. There was also a chemical firm along there (Campbells?); sure one of our posters can supply photos.

Thanks guys.  If anyone can supply photos it would be much appreciated.   

observer, can you give me some idea how far along Liverpool Road it is or what it is close to?

Going out of Town along Liverpool Rd: you had the PLP Motors garages either side, bit further on Campbell's; and I think Rubery Owen was next; the factory wall ran for several hundred yards; opposite houses with front gardens , which I think are still there.

I was a apprentice at Rubery owen from 1965. The entrance on Liverpool Rd was to Electro Hydraulics. Although in the same group this factory was not associated with Ruber'ys (different work force pay sructure etc). The three entrances toRubery's were on Thorton rd, Victoria Rd (next left past elecro,s entrance) and clevleys Rd. Ruberys made Barber greens (road laying machines) Axels , hub and drums for york trailers. Rubery,s site stretched from the bottom of Victoria rd and the other two entrances to the railway line. This is now a large housing estate. 

• Upvote 1

That is a great photograph

and my first house just in shot on the right too :)

and my first house just in shot on the right too :)

Oh yes. I recognise you stood outside now :wink:

That is a great photograph

believe this to be Liverpool Road, from Sankey canal at the corner at the now chippy going towards Lanes end, Saturday in the early sixties 

Yosser is correct.  As a young engineer I worked on aircraft undercarriage design and manufacture at Electro Hydraulics  -  for the Vulcan delta wing bomber.  Rubery Owen was squeezed in next door.