Bridge with Greenhalls Brewery on it.

pommie lass

let me see if i can get this right. if you stand at the bridge foot end of bridge street facing away from town centre looking at the bridge yes?

There was a greenhalls brewery at the stockton heath end of wilderspool causeway and tetleys was on winwick road where the tesco and the rugby stadium is now.

seen a few pictures showing bridge foot but not sure i remember a brewery in that area. i am sure dizzy or one of the others will be able to sort you out.

just a thought have you tried the photos in the warrington library web page if they are still on. they have a few of bridge foot which may help.

I can't quite get my bearings re where you are stood Pommie lass but I think I'm with it so far and from that I'd say Obs is nearer the mark with the railway bridge (which is still there) although the large Gartons building wasn't a brewery.

What you saw couldn't have been Greenalls Brewery down Wilderspool Causeway and next to Stockton Heath swing bridge (over the Manchester Ship Canal) as you wouldn't be able to see that from Bridge Foot due to all the other buildings and the bends in the road as it's quite distance away as you can see if you walk google street view or look at their aerial views. 

Hold i think i have it now, you stand at bridge foot. look towards town centre up bridge stree. turn left and you are facing the abc/mr smiths/ the ritz. With it now i think. now there is the railway bridge footbridge behind the abc etc. which i presume is the one you mean.

Now did it have greenhalls brewery painted on the side of it which i think is the question and not have the actual brewery itself as i first thought.

So far i have only found two pictures of that bridge on google images. both from when the mersey flooded the road that runs underneath the bridge. does not have anything on the side but as they were fairly recent pictures then the paint may have peeled off.

ADDED. Did not somebody post a link to the building of the bridge over the railway lines at bridge foot not so long back? that might show the railway bridge

if i rember correctly it was the opening of the bridge by the queen?

Sorry if I confused people.  Thanks observer as you seem to have the right idea. Also Evil Sid might be talking about the right one as well. It was close to the Ritz/ABC cinema and looked like a railway bridge with Greenhalls painted on the side.   Where would I find a picture of it?   Is i still there?

Thanks also to Dizzy for input. 

Ahh now I get it.  Yes the railway bridge is still there Pommie Lass (I was stood under it last week taking photo's of the high river).

It used to have 'Walkers Warrington ?? Ales' painted on the side.  I thought I had a photo somewhere but can't find it but I googled and there are some on the Britain from Above website here although it;s quite hard to read the writing.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw034311?search=warrington&ref=38

Err yes...did you not see all the news coverage (local on here and also national) about it at the time Pommie Lass :shock: 

There's still a pending court case too ....

Here is just one of the news reports on here at the time (video at the bottom too) and although the majority of the building looked fine it was ALL immediately demolished :(

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2015/04/14/major-blaze-wrecks-former-mr-smiths-club/

How could you guess my location PJ?

We have lived over here for some years but visit the UK most years for 6-8 months.  We stay in the Oxford area though and only visited Warrington once in 2012 and that was very briefly.  I would like to return though and have more of a look around.  We didn't get into town at all. Just went to look at the places I used to live in Latchford and Orford as my husband wasn't feeling well at that time.  Those places hadn't changed much at all but some parts of Warrington seem almost unrecognisable.