Our birds are declining, let's stop it now!

Fuglet

14 canada geese.

7 coots

4 moorhens

3 swans

30 plus ducks (assorted)

3 buzzards

2 cormorant

4 robins

2 sparrows (hedge possibly)

20+  gulls

6 magpies

5 crows/rooks

one large flock of unidentifiable birds (may have been starlings).

Not bad for a ten minute stroll along sankey valley. Not seen the kingfishers yet but it is early in the year and looking to see if the crested grebes make a return this year.

I agree with Algy, the buzzard population is getting out of hand.  Last year a woman I know was attacked by a buzzard whilst out jogging. It swooped down from behind and sunk it's claws into her head - she was quite badly physically injured and extremely shocked!  The same buzzard has attacked about 3 other people in roughly the same location. After 'googling' I realised this is not that rare.  

I admit I like to see buzzards as they are so large and fierce looking but I really do miss seeing the variety of smaller birds we used to have and also as Algy noted, hares are now scarce. They were always a lovely sight to see but I've not seen one for some years now. 

It's even longer since I've had a song thrush in the garden, I put that down to people using poison slug pellets - there are alternative and effective forms of slug control so why have the bird poisoning ones not been banned?

• 1 month later...

Fuglet, just to update, at the allotment site  there are many blue tits, robins, blackbirds,wrens, buzzards, magpies, crows, pigeons, thrushes, chaffinches, goldfinch, I saw a nuthatch and regularly hear a woodpecker in the tree above my plot.  I feed the birds all through the winter and me and my daughter will be making nesting boxes this weekend as well as bug hotels and bee homes, great fun.

Your allotment sounds like a lovely and fun place to be PJ with all those birds etc about.  My other half has always wanted one so he has a place to chill and de-stress (I think he meant so he can get away from me to be honest) but says but none ever seem to come up and apparently there's always a long waiting list.

Must admit I'm a bit scared of bees (not as much as I used to be though) and terrified of wasps and don't like creepy crawlies either so that side of allotments may freak me out a bit but I could always wear an all in one suit, gloves and full face mask if he did ever manage to get one :lol:  :lol: 

Must admit I'm a bit scared of bees (not as much as I used to be though) and terrified of wasps and don't like creepy crawlies either so that side of allotments may freak me out a bit but I could always wear an all in one suit, gloves and full face mask if he did ever manage to get one :lol:  :lol:

Kinky!!!!

there are bee hives on the site but nobody but the beekeeper has ever been stung by one.  I did get stung by a wasp on there once.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...