Our birds are declining, let's stop it now!

Fuglet

So, the numbers of our farmland, coastal and 'common' birds is plummeting by the year. Most of us are completely unaware of this and by the time we realise it's happened, it's only because they're on the news after becoming EXTINCT.

There are many causes of the declines such as:

• Poaching in the Meditteranean (Malta) and at home (UK).
  • Being uneducated around the declines of our birds.
  • Littering (ignorance).
  • Loss of habitat.
  • Global warming.

There are many others but I'd say these are the main ones we need to think about.

The aim of this thread is to try and recieve recognition for the decline of our birds before another species ends up on the news after becoming extinct.

So, let the conversation begin! Ask away!

I find that the species of bird changes more than the numbers where I live.  For instance, this year I have noticed a lot less robins and finches but seen many coal tits which I never really noticed before.  Still get lots of blackbirds and pigeons though and today I saw a sparrow hawk swoop low through the garden which could account for the robins.

plenty on sankey valley yesterday.

dozen or so coots and moorhens. a family of about eight swans,thirty or so geese fifty or so gulls a couple of rooks/ravens/crows (can never tell which is which at a distance) the usual magpies but the buzzards were absent probably due to the rain. There were also a few sparrows in the hedges and one or two wagtails. (not the pied ones but the yellowy green ones,must look those up in the book sometime to find out what they are) didn't see any robins about though m aybe because of the weather.

I find that the species of bird changes more than the numbers where I live.  For instance, this year I have noticed a lot less robins and finches but seen many coal tits which I never really noticed before.  Still get lots of blackbirds and pigeons though and today I saw a sparrow hawk swoop low through the garden which could account for the robins.

Yes, finches have been suffering from a disease called trichomonosis recently and their numbers have fallen alot. What time of year did you have your coal tits? now? Sparrowhawks are always lovely to see aren't they :)

The coal tits were last month,  lots of them.  I noticed as they are unusual around my garden.  Sparrowhawks are amazing yes

Well if they were around a month ago, they will have been part of the influx we get in Autumn from the continent! Lucky you!

Well if they were around a month ago, they will have been part of the influx we get in Autumn from the continent! Lucky you!

They were very cute Fuglet,  and yes they were an unusual visitor for me.  I don't really know much about birds but love to watch them go about their business.

Yes, I saw this report the other day, it's really worrying that yet another 15 have been added to the red list. If we don't do something soon we are going to loose masses of our birds forever.

They were very cute Fuglet,  and yes they were an unusual visitor for me.  I don't really know much about birds but love to watch them go about their business.

Hopefully this thread will help you learn more about the birds around you!

I did wonder, how many of you feed the birds in your garden?

Fuglet, me and my girls make fat and seed feeders through the winter and I deliberately leave some of my fruit bushes and trees un netted to provide food for the birds. I have planted quite a lot of food bearing shrubs around the borders.   At my allotment I also have put up different bird boxes.  It's lovely to watch the birds tucking in.  I think I care more for the birds well being than I do for their nomenclature but will try to learn which is which :wink:

Fuglet, me and my girls make fat and seed feeders through the winter and I deliberately leave some of my fruit bushes and trees un netted to provide food for the birds. I have planted quite a lot of food bearing shrubs around the borders.   At my allotment I also have put up different bird boxes.  It's lovely to watch the birds tucking in.  I think I care more for the birds well being than I do for their nomenclature but will try to learn which is which :wink:

Great! We need more people to start doing what you are doing already!  Feeding is the key to supporting our birds through the winter, since intensive farming has taken a hold and there is only minimal amounts of waste grain spilled on the ground when harvesting. Also, what used to be stubble fields - stubble fields offer a bounty of food for pigeons, game, thrushes etc. - are now winter crops e.g barley. Taking these resources away just pushes the birds further towards the edge so by feeding in our gardens, we can help lessen the effects and we also get more birds as a result.

Which birds do you see regularly then? and what have you only seen a couple of times?

At my allotment I have robins, very territorial they are.  Whenever I dig over a patch of earth they are in there quick as a flash, nicking my worms :wink:.  At home I used to get robins all the time but this year none?  We also have woodpeckers at the allotment and through the spring and summer there were loads of birds.  It is a haven as most plot holders put out stuff for them or leave a few bushes and plants un netted,  There are always lots of crows and magpies and lately buzzards.  At home there is a sparrow hawk who is a real joy to watch.

I will photograph and post as many images of the different birds I see as you are interested.

At my allotment I have robins, very territorial they are.  Whenever I dig over a patch of earth they are in there quick as a flash, nicking my worms :wink:.  At home I used to get robins all the time but this year none?  We also have woodpeckers at the allotment and through the spring and summer there were loads of birds.  It is a haven as most plot holders put out stuff for them or leave a few bushes and plants un netted,  There are always lots of crows and magpies and lately buzzards.  At home there is a sparrow hawk who is a real joy to watch.

I will photograph and post as many images of the different birds I see as you are interested.

Yes, I am interested, and I'd like to promote it to try and get more people as interested in it as we are!

Photos would be great, I could maybe ID some that you're not sure on?

I've been a birder for 6-7 years now but have become more serious over the last 3, I hope I can be of use!

Far more birds of prey around now than there were a few years ago also magpies and jays who rob nests of eggs, wood pigeons are also becoming a nuisance, all in all the small bird species are far less in attendance in our area than in previous years. Birds we that were common here we rarely see now - robin, wren, dunnock, coal tit, blue tit, great tit, nuthatch, sparrow (in decline nationally), thrush, blackbird, goldfinch, I could go on and on!, all these were regular visitors to our garden a few years back.

Far more birds of prey around now than there were a few years ago also magpies and jays who rob nests of eggs, wood pigeons are also becoming a nuisance, all in all the small bird species are far less in attendance in our area than in previous years. Birds we that were common here we rarely see now - robin, wren, dunnock, coal tit, blue tit, great tit, nuthatch, sparrow (in decline nationally), thrush, blackbird, goldfinch, I could go on and on!, all these were regular visitors to our garden a few years back.

Algy, unfortunately it's much the same story nation wide. Raptors are on the rise and the passerines are heading down! Do you feed in your garden?

We still get all those in our garden apart from the thrush, we also have a large family of long tailed tits plus the odd chaffinch, greenfinch and bullfinch. Unfortunately we have a sparrowhawk as an occasional visitor.