Globel Warming

Coffee

I don't think there is an organisation called Global Warming Incorporated , I am not that stupid, do you?

so you don't think that there is a massive industry that has grown out of all this climate change (formerly global warming) stuff?

Just like the one that has sprouted up around Health & Safety over the years!

Sigh!  I said, I don't believe there is an Organisation called Global Warming Incorporated , I am not that stupid, do you?  Freeborn John admitted he made it up.

You are like the Fonz... he could never admit that he was wrong.... there may not be an individual organisation with an MD and employees paid by global warming inc. but there is a massive industry that has been built up around the scare tactics of the global warming brigade (and not there isn't a bloody organisation called global warming inc.... I made that up for effect)

Man may have an effect on global warming, he may not, but whatever the truth, you can sure as hell be certain that somebody somewhere will be making money out of it either way :)

where was I wrong Baz, I simply stated that something was fictional.  You even allude to this being the case in your last post.  I don't know what you are going on about.  Go find the bit where I said that no-one is going to make money or lose money from environmental industries and I will accept that I am wrong.  If you can't find where I said that I will enjoy your apology haha.

where was I wrong Baz, I simply stated that something was fictional.  You even allude to this being the case in your last post.  I don't know what you are going on about.  Go find the bit where I said that no-one is going to make money or lose money from environmental industries and I will accept that I am wrong.  If you can't find where I said that I will enjoy your apology haha.

You really are an annoying arse sometimes :)

HA HA

"If you keep slowing something down"; sorry Fugs, were not talking about a runaway train, were talking about the forces of nature.

we can get your categorical assurance, that global warming can be stopped in it's tracks...

Look, again, other than you saying it's what other people want I've heard nobody state that they believe that global warning can be completely stopped. Similarly, I've not heard anyone claim we'll get to a point where there are zero carbon emissions globally, it's just not realistic.

Stop attributing ideas, claims and ambitions to people who don't necessarily hold them.

Here's the UN's stated aims:

"United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change

The UNFCCC was created in 1992 as the main forum for international agreement on tackling climate change. 195 countries have now joined the international treaty. Negotiations focus on four key areas:

• Adapting to climate change
  • Finance to enable action on mitigation and adaptation
  • Mitigation (i.e. reduction) of greenhouse gas emissions
  • Technology development and transfer to allow green development"

https://www.theccc.org.uk/tackling-climate-change/the-legal-landscape/climate-change-act-and-uk-regulations/

Adapting - I think you, the UN and myself are agreed, it's a good idea.

Finance - the money's got to come from somewhere and I don't begrudge a few quid a year to help towards it, though others do.

Mitigation - see that? Mitigation, not stopping, ceasing, arresting, annihilating or blowing out of the water. I agree with this.

Technology - Oh yes.

As for nuclear energy, I don't support it, as it actually costs more, in commissioning and decommissioning costs and has proved unsafe.

I have similar concerns, though I wouldn't say I'm totally opposed.

Who are global warming incorporated?  Did you make it up?

They occupy the same place as the PC Brigade - inside the tiny minds of conspiraloons.

the rise of the eco shysters.

Hmm, ok, seeing as you seem to be struggling to come up with who these people might be, I'll give you a little bit of help.

There are people making money out of the drive for green energy, Enercon is one example. They're an energy company, but unlike some other companies, and many individuals, particularly in the UK it seems to me, they don't have an ideological opposition to the idea of renewable energy. They've embraced it, harnessed the energy, and sold it.

What we’ve learned is that renewables is just a financial business...

Uruguay is a good example of what can be achieved:

• 55% of their electricity is from renewables, and almost 95% from clean sources

• Consumers are paying less than they were for fossil fuels

• Resources are abundant

• There are no subsidies to energy companies

• Not reliant for energy on any other country

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/dec/03/uruguay-makes-dramatic-shift-to-nearly-95-clean-energy

What's not to like? Though I'm sure some will find something.

• 5 weeks later...

Arctic sea ice is above average again this year

Do you mean this week?

"The first week of 2016 has seen very slow ice growth in the Arctic."

Or last year?

"December ended with Arctic sea ice extent tracking between one and two standard deviations below average, as it did throughout the fall. This caps a year that saw the lowest sea ice maximum in February and the fourth lowest minimum in September"

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

...despite all predictions of it completely disappearing by now.

Who was it that said this then?

screenhunter_447-may-23-05-48.jpg?w=640

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Arctic summers ice-free ‘by 2013′

the Arctic will be ice-free in the summer of 2013

– John Kerry, US Secretary of State

John Kerry: We Can’t Ignore the Security Threat from Climate Change

Because climate change in the Arctic region is occurring faster and to a greater extent than anywhere else, the Arctic Ocean may be ice-free for a short period of time as early as the summer of 2015, according to the 2009 Arctic Marine Shipping Assessment Report completed by the eight Arctic Council Nations.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/

screenhunter_27-jun-19-15-58.gif?w=560&h

http://www.350.org/sites/all/files/science-factsheet-updated2011.pdf

December 15, 2009

MONDAY, MARCH 17, 2008
Polar ice cap melting away in 2008 ?

The latest salvo comes courtesy of Xinhua, which reports that Olav Orheim, the head of the Norwegian International Polar Year Secretariat, is placing his money on this summer. Noting that its ice sheet had reached a historical low of 3m sq. km last summer – it covered around 7.5m sq. km as recently as 2000 – Orheim told Xinhua that “if Norway’s average temperature this year equals that in 2007, the ice cap in the Arctic will all melt away.” Barring this disaster, Orheim predicted that excess carbon dioxide emissions and higher average temperatures would unpredictably alter the region’s fragile ecosystems. On a separate note, he said that Asia would likely be hardest hit by rising sea levels, estimating that a one meter rise would affect “nearly 100 million people on an area of 800,000 square km in Asia and direct economic loss will amount to 400 billion U.S. dollars.”

http://www.norwegianmoose.com/

There are many kinds of truth. Al Gore was poleaxed by an inconvenient one yesterday.

The former US Vice-President, who became an unlikely figurehead for the green movement after narrating the Oscar-winning documentary An Inconvenient Truth, became entangled in a new climate change “spin” row.

Mr Gore, speaking at the Copenhagen climate change summit, stated the latest research showed that the Arctic could be completely ice-free in five years.

In his speech, Mr Gore told the conference: “These figures are fresh. Some of the models suggest to Dr [Wieslav] Maslowski that there is a 75 per cent chance that the entire north polar ice cap, during the summer months, could be completely ice-free within five to seven years.”

Global warming is a direct threat to biodiversity in all corners of the world, but nowhere are its effects more visible than in the Arctic, where the impacts of the climate crisis are hitting earlier and with greater intensity than anywhere else. Winter temperatures have increased by almost 10 degrees Fahrenheit since 1949. And by the end of this century, the Far North’s annual average temperatures are expected to rise 9 degrees or more over land and up to 13 degrees over water.

We can see the frightening effects of the Arctic’s rising temperatures in the quick and devastating melt of the region’s sea ice. In 2008, Arctic summer sea ice reached the second-lowest extent recorded since the dawn of the satellite era — and winter sea ice reached its lowest recorded extent in 2011. Now 
climate scientists say the Arctic could be completely ice free in the summer by 2012.

A DEATH SENTENCE FOR SPECIES

With its unforgiving winds, 
tremendous cold, winters that never see the sun
, and summers that never see the end of it, the Arctic seems like a hard place to eke out a living. Yet it’s home to highly specialized species that have evolved to make the most of their harsh environment, including its vast expanses of sea ice. Without enough sea ice, the entire Arctic ecosystem will unravel and its species will die.

screenhunter_92-apr-25-20-53.gif?w=637&h

screenhunter_93-apr-25-20-53.gif?w=640&h

http://www.canada.com/

the summer melt could lead to ice-free Arctic seas by 2016 – “plus or minus three years”.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13002706

There are credible scientists who are now predicting an ice-free (summer) arctic by as early as 2013. The implications are mind boggling. The impact on wildlife, humans and the rest of the world’s weather patterns is impossible to predict for specific areas and to exact detail.

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2931050

These mealy mouthed alarmists always couch their warnings of disaster in such terms, or put a time frame on them that ensures they will have safely died of old age before their predictions can be proved to be rubbish. The problem is that our politicians are throwing £Billions of our money at problems/solutions that are unproven.

Apparently, the UK has had more than it's total average  January rainfall in the first week of 2016 but if the weather turns the other way we still be on for summer hose pipe bans. This is Britain, famous for its unpredictable weather, even the Romans noticed the country was wetter than what they expected.

I was reading a news article a few days ago that laid some of the blame with the EU for banning dredging in favour of allowing once natural wetlands to flourish once more.