Invasion of flies

Egbert

Came home last night to find one room of the house - a downstairs bathroom - invaded with flies. Zapped them with a fly spray, closed the room off and this morning collected 65 dead flies.

Anyone else experienced a fly problem recently - it struck me as most unusual as there had been none about for some time.  Could it be connected to the mild weather?

65 ... crikey that sounds bad :shock: :shock:   What sort of flies and how big Egbert ?  Seems very odd to have so many in just one room.  Do you think they have just flown in (something must be attracting them for that many though) or perhaps maggots have hatched from something dead,  dead vermin under the floorboards or somewhere perhaps? 

We've have had a problem with tiny fruit flies in our kitchen for a couple of months.  I think thats what they are called anyway.  They are only about a millimeter or so in size and you don't really notice then unless you put a cup down that has had a sweet drink in it.  In seconds they are all over it.  I thought it was just us but my brother and his work colleague also said they have a problem with them everywhere too.

Tiny flies often hatch from the soil of house plants brought in from garden centres that are shipped in from abroad and when placed in  a warm centrally heated atmosphere soon become active, other than being a nuisance not a problem. if they are common house flies and you have wooden floor boards with a large cavity beneath, on occasion a rat may have died under the floor and the maggots wriggle through cracks and hatch out into the flies, also many older houses had air grills/tiles in the rooms from the cavity to combat condensation these also are a way for flies to come in.

It might be connected to the weather Egbert, the mild conditions could have extended the breeding season but then when it gets cold at night they could have come in for the warmth. If it was a dead rat or mouse under the floorboards I would have thought they'd be bluebottles.

I wouldn't worry It was probably a one off - but if it happens again I'd look for a cause!

A geranium plant or two on the windowsills is usually a good deterrent - they don't like the smell of the leaves so don't come in.

Diz, the best way to get rid of fruit flies is to leave an almost empty wine bottle (it only needs about 1/4 inch of wine in - and with the cork out of course) on the kitchen counter overnight. They drown themselves in it!

For bluebottles in the garden - put out a slice of melon on a flat surface, within minutes it will literally be black with them, swat hard with a swatter then scrape the dead bits into the bin and repeat as often as you have energy for. I discovered this technique by accident when putting melon out for the birds. I hadn't even noticed any bluebottles before doing it but once the melon was out there were swarms of them. I got hundreds and hundreds - must have cleared the neighbourhood of them!   

I can assure you Baz that if house cleaning was an Olympic sport, my better half would be a gold medalist. We seem to have got on top of the problem now, anyway. Thank you all for the helpful comments - but not for the idiotic ones

Egbert, I wonder could the attraction be the cleaning stuffs your wife uses? 

Once when I was washing up the phone rang so I left the kitchen for a few minutes, when I returned there were about half a dozen dead flies in the washing up bowl and others diving in like lemmings, ugh! 

I was using a brand called Morning Fresh - lemon scented. They seemed to be really attracted to this and it happened a few times so I changed back to the 'original' version. Now I can wash up again without gagging!   

Came home last night to find one room of the house - a downstairs bathroom - invaded with flies. Zapped them with a fly spray, closed the room off and this morning collected 65 dead flies.

Anyone else experienced a fly problem recently - it struck me as most unusual as there had been none about for some time.  Could it be connected to the mild weather?

From personal experience I can pretty much guarantee you will have a dead mouse corpse somewhere in the room.