LED lighting - how is it for you?

Gary

Bill is correct as I've already tried to take photos of ones round here and also my dads road with both my cameras and also my mobile phone. 

None gave a true representation of the actual light regardless of the settings I used.  

you need a camera with manual settings and to take a range of photos between f8 and 16 at 1/250 or lower, you will also need a tripod or rest of some sort. If you have an auto camera change the setting to read the light centrally (I believe most but the cheapest cameras will have these settings) rather then average, this is what I have been told.

I tried with my Cannon point and shoot camera but it has not worked, will get some batteries for my Fuji which has a variety of settings and will see what results that one brings.

Thanks and I'll try that too Coffee :D   I've got two cameras and one is a dslr so I'll be able to do that with it (says me ha ha) 

I guess they would have to be taken on the same night with not much time difference between then too to avoid differences cause by the night sky conditions.  I might pace the same number of steps from the lights too.

As a thought maybe instead of taking a picture of the light you should place an object directly under it and take apicture of that. move it three feet away and do the same and then the difference in light levels will be easier to distinguish. also take one at six feet or further for comparison.

might be talking rubbish as i am not a very knowledgeable person when it come to taking photo's.

I know some won't agree but I think it is ridiculous and unnatural to completely light all our streets all the time.  If its an issue and you have to walk at night, , take a torch.  I like the savings to the towns coffers and the planets resources though and if we can bring down the light pollution thats a bonus.

Well each to their own on that but I think you wont find many agreeing with you there PJ

I was just thinking about all the faffing about accident statistics when the 20 mph was being introduced and wonder if anyone's doing a similar thing to check on casualty figures with the reduced level of lighting??? It'd be interesting to hear if the council has done any checks on this or has any plans in place?

Milky, your video gives an excellent example especially towards the end where the car turns away from the sodium lighting onto a poorly lit side road.

Bill :)

Well each to their own on that but I think you wont find many agreeing with you there PJ

I was just thinking about all the faffing about accident statistics when the 20 mph was being introduced and wonder if anyone's doing a similar thing to check on casualty figures with the reduced level of lighting??? It'd be interesting to hear if the council has done any checks on this or has any plans in place?

Milky, your video gives an excellent example especially towards the end where the car turns away from the sodium lighting onto a poorly lit side road.

Bill :)

Don't cars have adequate headlights for night time driving, even in areas without any street lighting whatsoever?  If not there are thousands of roads which need to be closed to vehicular traffic after dark.

Why do we need our streets lighting to such a high level through the night?  

Well Derby Council say this on their website:

Why do we need good lighting? 

We are committed to providing good street lighting using the latest technology available.  The main objectives of providing and maintaining road lighting are to: 

• improve road safety
  • reduce the incidence of night time crime
  • improve the perception of street safety and security
  • increase leisure and commercial activity after dark
  • encourage walking, cycling and use of public transport
  • improve the effectiveness of other community safety measures such as closed circuit television (CCTV) and Automatic Number Plate recognition (ANPR)
  • develop safer routes to schools
  • create a quality environment for local people, business & tourism
  • aid and sustain community regeneration
  • provide Best Value

If ever there was a box ticking series of answers....there you have it!

Don't cars have adequate headlights for night time driving, even in areas without any street lighting whatsoever?  If not there are thousands of roads which need to be closed to vehicular traffic after dark.

• Upvote 1

• improve road safety
  • improve the effectiveness of other community safety measures such as closed circuit television (CCTV) and Automatic Number Plate recognition (ANPR)
  • provide Best Value

1 How does lighting a pavement increase road safety?

2. Very doubtful.

3. Increase perception?  desperate

4. I am sure the prostitutes and dealers may agree

5. Nonesense

6. Come off it, ever hear of cameras that work in the dark?  spooky

7. What?  Night school??????

8. First thing I check on TripAdvisor before a holiday is how bright are the street lights as this is essential for an enjoyable holiday

9.  You are kidding me right?

10.  Can't even work out what they mean by that .

What car have you PJ? Car lights on new cars seem far better then on these five years ago.

That is except the Renault Clio - I picked one up at an airport in Portugal, it was late, about 11pm -  and still had a couple of hours to go before reaching the hotel, as I turned the ignition on all the lights come on but most of the way I had to use main beam which would not stay on so had to hold the switch on; luckily the traffic was very light. It was a few days later I discovered a light switch and that the light do not come on automatically, although the dash lights did and so did the front driving lights. another one of these i think :oops:

I know some won't agree but I think it is ridiculous and unnatural to completely light all our streets all the time.  If its an issue and you have to walk at night, , take a torch.  I like the savings to the towns coffers and the planets resources though and if we can bring down the light pollution thats a bonus.

in some towns and on some motorways lights get turned off after midnight, but it is far easier and less tiring to drive on lit roads. Pedestrians and cyclists would need to take far more responsibility in making themselves more visible, especially on these dark winter nights when the weather is poor. When there is no street lights glare from other cars can hide things

I would prefer to see lights dimmed or every other street light switched off after a peak periods then have dim lights all the time. I also think many traffic lights could be switched off too and the speed limit increased at night.

When I get home at night I like to see my garden well lit and I can see I am not going to get any surprises.

interesting links

http://www.rospa.com/road-safety/advice/roads/street-lighting/

http://www.britastro.org/dark-skies/crime.html

What car have you PJ? Car lights on new cars seem far better then on these five years ago.

The vehicle I drive is a 64 plate.  The lights are more than adequate.

That's actually a good point Coffee. My car for example is an older car (V Reg) and my headlights seem nowhere near as bright and white as my neighbours brand new cars.  I wonder if there are different types of bulbs available that I can buy for mine.   Off to look now.....

I came down Winwick Road this morning in the dark.  From Fordton Island to Long Lane the lights have been replaced by the LED type.  From there to the fire station the lights are the old style.  The lighting looks miles better where its LED and I saw no perceivable difference in visibility.  

• improve road safety
  • provide Best Value

1 How does lighting a pavement increase road safety?

2. Very doubtful.

3. Increase perception?  desperate

4. I am sure the prostitutes and dealers may agree

5. Nonesense

6. Come off it, ever hear of cameras that work in the dark?  spooky

7. What?  Night school??????

8. First thing I check on TripAdvisor before a holiday is how bright are the street lights as this is essential for an enjoyable holiday

9.  You are kidding me right?

10.  Can't even work out what they mean by that .

This may be confusing with the first bit above being what Baz posted follwed by PJ's replies and now mine here...but not to worry.

PS

1   Of course it does as road safety is not just about the cars on the road, it also includes pedestrians etc

2   I would imagine that crime is reduces in better lit areas.  Take for example some of the small roads round here and also my dads road.  The staggered old lights used to give off enough span of light to light both sides of the street and also gave enough light so see drives adn gardens.  The new lights don;t meaning that on some roads half the houses, gardens and drives are now in COMPLETE darkness.  If someone was hanging about on a drive or near a parked car (even on the road) you can't see them now if that side has no street light. 

3.  'improve the perception of street safety'....again I'd say better lighting does.  I don't like walking alone on some of the side roads round here at night now because they are so dark, they were never like that before.

4 & 5.  Same as above because I class dog walking as 'leisure'  (you comment about prostitutes was funny by the way)

6.  I don't know much about cctv and anpr .....

7.  'safer routes to school' ... a lot of children walk to and from school in the dark so surely better lit streets is good and safer

8, 9, 10  No opinion

I came down Winwick Road this morning in the dark.  From Fordton Island to Long Lane the lights have been replaced by the LED type.  From there to the fire station the lights are the old style.  The lighting looks miles better where its LED and I saw no perceivable difference in visibility.  

I've noticed that on some of the major roads the LED lights dont seem too bad.  Are they bigger and brighter than the ones on smaller roads or are there just more of them?

I much prefer the new LED lights, in my road there doesn't seem to be any deterioration in the amount of lighting. I can remember when we had gas lighting in the streets, but can't remember any moaning about them!

I suppose you do have a point Asp re gas lights but the thing is they went out years ago and were replaced with better street lights.  Now a lot of streets have these LED new ones which are worse than the ones they have had for years and yet the council keep saying how much better and brighter they are   There's loads of people on social media complaining that they just aren't as good and areas are now a lot darker.

I took some photos just before 6pm last night as I was driving via a few side roads around here that seem a lot darker now (I stopped to take the pics obviously).  Taken with my mobile set to manual mode with auto white balance and evaluation set to 0.  They came out quite well although slightly brighter but pretty much as my eyes were seeing it all. 
I viewed my photos while sat in the spot and double checked to make sure.

HEADLIGHTS ON

DSC_0963_zpshfmofaic.jpg

HEADLIGHTS OFF.  Really dark on the right hand side of the road and that continued behind me and round the corner where there are no lights.
The line in the photo is my windscreen wiper going down oops.  

DSC_0964_zpsgk6y0nde.jpg

HEADLIGHTS ON

DSC_0961_zpsfrboisbn.jpg

HEADLIGHTS OFF  - really dark and only one street light

DSC_0962_zpsmvqtu0kl.jpg

HEADLIGHTS ON

DSC_0959_zps3zyufhp6.jpg

HEADLIGHTS OFF  -   Virtually pitch black !!

DSC_0960_zpswn8civqo.jpg