LED lighting - how is it for you?

Gary

Of course it could be the way your eyes adapt to the light.

Being a bright white light might mean that your are fooled into thinking it is in bright sunlight and so close the iris more making the rest of the area seem darker than it actually is.

(by gum that was a politicians explanation if i ever heard one and from me too :shock:8)  )

As for the lights on cars you can get led adaptors for headlights which can be retro fitted but you need to be careful as the car then may fail an mot. (Not sure of the actual details of this will need to google it later) New cars can have them as standard and will not fail the mot because of that.

Very nice Dizzy I'm sure, but your pictures don't actually give a comparison of what the lighting used to be like. And obviously the one taken of the street with only one streetlamp (and that quite a distance away) is bound to appear dark! Maybe you just don't like change?

and the comparison images?  Thing is the lights are different, not better or worse.  I prefer them aesthetically and for their lower impact on the environment  and I like that they are saving money in the long run. 

Trust PJ to see things differently, even sees light differently

And yes Dizzy were is the comparison, get the council to put the old lights back so you can show what the old lights were like.

• Downvote 1

and the comparison images?  Thing is the lights are different, not better or worse.  I prefer them aesthetically and for their lower impact on the environment  and I like that they are saving money in the long run. 

These ARE comparison photos, ok so not comparing old to new lights as there are none left on these roads.  I was merely showing how DARK the roads/pavements/areas are now for pedestrians including kids walking home from school etc with the NEW lights.  These roads are near me and ones I have walked for years and they have NEVER been dark like this.   So yes on these streets I'd say they are definitely worse.     

Like I have said previously though the ones on my actual road are not too bad as they are on both sides and staggered although some to have dimmed at bit since they were first installed. 

Not a big problem for me though really as Mr Dizzy tends to do the dark doggie walks now and if I do venture out I'll just walk a different way through the main village where it's all better lit.

I'm happy that they are saving money though and better for the environment too. 

Just a shame they didn't install some additional ones on some roads while they were at it to give a better balance.  All that will happen now for those like my dad who have been plunged into complete darkness is that people will install their own outside lights so they can see on their drives without tripping over and can see their cars and find the lock holes or anyone hanging around.  In 0ver 50 years of living there my dad has always been able to see on his drive but not now.  Bet his neighbours opposite will be a bit fed up when he installs a bega bright security light now to light it all up from his side rather than the more subtle one he has right near his door.  Hope they close their curtains at night :lol: :lol:

Very nice Dizzy I'm sure, but your pictures don't actually give a comparison of what the lighting used to be like. And obviously the one taken of the street with only one streetlamp (and that quite a distance away) is bound to appear dark! Maybe you just don't like change?

See above re comparison..... and yes I'm not stupid and I do realise that the street with only one street light will be darker but then it only had one street light before and was a lot lighter.   It's not that I don't like change at all and if you find the old topic about the changes you will see that I commented when ours first went in and actually said I was impressed with them and the one nearest me was lighting up my front garden too.  Weird how it doesn't now not that that bothers me as I have a small outside light I can put on.

And yes Dizzy were is the comparison, get the council to put the old lights back so you can show what the old lights were like.

See above re comparison and no thanks to the council putting our old one back in case their contractors damage something again.  Bet they wish they had been more careful doing one further up £kerching.

Anyway all that said I'm bored of talking about them right now but if I go out later I'll try and get some pics of a road with the old lights on just for the hell of it and to annoy you all with more images that in your minds are non-conclusive :lol:

I make a living from the way I see and record light Coffee and I see things how I see them.  Am I to take it that your opinion on everything is correct and some kind of forum datum line and anything which doesn't completely agree with it is somehow wrong.  If you would like to compare the lights, new and old, I have already told you where you can go to do so.

I make a living from the way I see and record light Coffee and I see things how I see them.  Am I to take it that your opinion on everything is correct and some kind of forum datum line and anything which doesn't completely agree with it is somehow wrong.  If you would like to compare the lights, new and old, I have already told you where you can go to do so.

It is not my opinion PJ it is what you said

What is it you do?

Explain what you mean by lights are different not better or worse, I am intrigued.

Weather the new lights are better or worse is a matter of opinion is it not?

Dizzy as for light bulbs, you can get brighter light bulbs, they won't effect your mot.

IN the near future you will get cars with lights that work with your steering wheel and the beams illuminate different parts of the road,

Now there's a thought.   PJ have you got a light meter and would that work to measure light distance from street lights ?   I'd love to be proved wrong that the new ones one some roads are better than the old.

I say 'some' as like I said the ones on mine aren't too bad with it being a bigger road with more lights but what is odd is that I've just been upstairs to close the bedroom curtains and I looked out of my window (12.45am).
The one near me and further up all seem a lot brighter tonight and are really illuminating all the parked cars and pavements on both sides of the road all the way along.  

Maybe it's because everything is wet so the light is bouncing off things or are they programmed to give different light levels at different times of the night or at weekends.  It will bug me now :lol:

Also does anyone know what the things are that look like antennas on the top of them.  Not sure if they all have them though .....

As for the lights on cars you can get led adaptors for headlights which can be retro fitted but you need to be careful as the car then may fail an mot. (Not sure of the actual details of this will need to google it later) New cars can have them as standard and will not fail the mot because of that.

Thanks for that Evils :D  I just looked on line for them but it seems it's not as simple as I though as I presumed I could just changing the bulb.

Dizzy as for light bulbs, you can get brighter light bulbs, they won't effect your mot.

IN the near future you will get cars with lights that work with your steering wheel and the beams illuminate different parts of the road,

You can get higher lumen output lights but the maximum wattage for headlight bulbs I believe is 55W

The future is here already!! My lights already "turn and bend" with the direction my steering wheel is turning when I go round corners and cornering illumination has been standard on even the most basic cars for a few years and on mine since 2006

clever buggers these car manufacturers. have a little sensor on my headlight system that turns the lights off in bright weather and on when you go under a tunnell to save you having to do it. bit of a nuisance really as the headlights also go off when you turn off the ignition. (can't leave the lights on to drain the battery) problem is if you had the lights on at night and did not manually turn them off they edo not come on during the day unless you go into a tunnel or undre a bridge. which means that every time you do your healights flash on and off.

there is a switch somewhere in the car to turn that function off though.

on a slight tangent just bought some under cupboard led lights that are battery operated and have a pir sensor so that you don't have to fumble to switch them on. ideal for over doors as well at night if you want a fairly cheap alternative to a pir porch light or even as emergemcy lighting in the event of a power cut.

You can get higher lumen output lights but the maximum wattage for headlight bulbs I believe is 55W

The future is here already!! My lights already "turn and bend" with the direction my steering wheel is turning when I go round corners and cornering illumination has been standard on even the most basic cars for a few years and on mine since 2006

really, I have not noticed it on my car or any other car I have driven and I am in and out of hire cars all the time.

Wasn't planning to go anywhere today but will take my car out today to see if I can see any difference.

I have auto switch on my car of lights though, switched it off as i think they are dangerous.

what do you all drive?

really, I have not noticed it on my car or any other car I have driven and I am in and out of hire cars all the time.

Wasn't planning to go anywhere today but will take my car out today to see if I can see any difference.

I have auto switch on my car of lights though, switched it off as i think they are dangerous.

what do you all drive?

S Class Merc... it has active light assist that turns the beam of the headlights whichever way the car is turning and at low speeds when the wheel is turned is has kerb lights that light up the kerb... the kerb lights also activate when the indicator is switched on at speeds less than 10mph

Damned clever them Germans !!

Dizzy those little antennae are light sensors so that each light knows when it's dark enough to switch on/light enough to switch off. Otherwise you would have to have a bloke going round switching them all on and off. Remember the bloke who used to go round switching on the gas lights? Thinking about it there must have been a couple of them! :lol: :lol:

I just found this reply to a FOI request that was submitted to Cambridgeshire County Council.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/153617/response/379282/attach/2/EIR%202728%20RES.pdf

Amongst other questions was on about the antennas and they say " The antennas on top of the street lights are for the transfer of information to the centralised control system and are the control points for the lantern "

They then go on to give details about the "EMF (Electromagnetic Field) emissions for the antennas" etc etc ..........but I don't understand a word of it other than they say it's safe and works on the same radio band as car central locking key fobs and wireless burglar alarms etc. :blink:

S Class Merc... it has active light assist that turns the beam of the headlights whichever way the car is turning and at low speeds when the wheel is turned is has kerb lights that light up the kerb... the kerb lights also activate when the indicator is switched on at speeds less than 10mph

Damned clever them Germans !!

Oooh check you out you posh bugger :lol::wink:   Might buy myself a merc...............if I ever win the lottery

Oooh check you out you posh bugger :lol::wink:   Might buy myself a merc...............if I ever win the lottery

It may sound posh Dizz, but compared to the latest ones it is positively a step in the dark ages. The latest ones have full adaptive LED lighting which brightens and dims depending on the light outside and has two LED monitors for the dash.... I had one as a courtesy car for a few days... it was like driving the Enterprise!!

But mine will still do 40+ to the gallon and has more gadgets than the space shuttle so I can live with it!!