Cracks appear in the EU -

observer

Seems the recent Portuguese elections delivered a majority for leftist Parties, who oppose the EU imposed austerity policies. However, the President has refused to accept their coalition into Government, citing their threat to commitments to the EU. So a clear example of the real nature of democracy in Europe and where the real power lies. Still, another crack in the edifice.

The Portugese government agreed a deal to receive money Obs, similar to a bank loan, very hard to go back to a bank and renegotiate the terms half what through, so you trying to dress it up as a crack in the EU, is more wishful thinking on your part Obs, like Baz who has been saying the EU is going to collapse in the next few days.

If a political Party(s) win a majority in an election, they should form a Government - basics. Whether that Gov defaults on it's loans and exits the Euro or whether it concedes defeat to the EU bureacrats, like the Greeks; is a matter for that "elected" Gov. But in no way, can it be democratic to refuse power to the majority Party(s), just in case they do something the Brussels Mandarins won't like.

Well apparently we are both wrong. It is an initialism not an acronym

Apparently an acronym can only be an acronym if the resulting word can be pronounced in its' own right as a form of word such as LASER or RAM..... Initialisms are similar but the resulting shortened down word is usually unpronounceable such as FBI or CIA

I never knew that :)

PIGS, now there's an acronym.

Portugal, Italy, Greece, Spain, whatever their government of the day they all stand true to one unshakeable principle.

Never take your snout out of the Eurotrough.

• Upvote 2

Iceland decided to drop any aspirations to being part of the EU quite recently. They trade with the EU and are bound by some of the laws that govern the EU (Which are made up by people we have no say over).... so how is being in the EU better than being outside if you are a NET contributor such as the UK?

I can understand the likes of the Eastern European freeloaders wanting to get their hands on the cash and Portugal and Spain and Ireland clamouring for the bailouts caused in part by being restricted by the Euro.... but I can't see anything positive in it for us Im afraid

Obs are you going to answer my question

Have you ever known an in coming government back track on a treaty signed by a previous administration ?,

Let's nail this once and for all, as that is what you want the Portugese to do.

We both know the answer, I'm just wondering if you are willing to point out the bullshit of your first post

The Greeks renegotiated, so no it does not count, I am after an example where a government walked away from a legally binding treaty signed by the previous administration, see Obs first post!

The Greeks had no option but to re-negotiate because the EU and the their crooked friends basically threatened to starve their people into submission.... and here was me thinking that the EU was all about looking after each other.... or does that only happen when they first join so they can get the new countries into the trap of spending money they can't afford so the evil that is the EU can then screw them into subservience?

Germany runs the EU Kije, what they say goes.... just as with the so called migrant crisis.... Germany pipe up and say "Hey.... let them all in, We'll take them".... and then once hundreds of thousands are on EU soil, they shut their borders and demand that everyone else starts to take them because they are getting a bit fuller than they expected and they never thought so many would come....

Evil Evil Evil.... every damned unelected one of them

Think your missing the point Kije: The President of Portugal has REFUSED to accept the democratic decision of it's people to elect an anti-austerity Gov. It could well be, that IF they took office, they would collapse their principles in the same way as Zirysa did. But if they maintained their principles and manifesto; they could renege on any previous commitments, default, and exit the Euro, and of course suffer the consequences - so between a rock and a hard place.