Set America on Path to Oil Independence

Improve Energy Efficiency 50 Percent by 2030

Restore U.S. Leadership on Climate Change

Quality, Affordable and Portable Coverage for All

Lower Costs by Modernizing The U.S. Health Care System

web page

[ 07.01.2008, 23:41: Message edited by: Mary ]

Clintons Ideas:

Lowering taxes for middle class families.

Providing quality, affordable health care to every American.

Making college accessible and affordable.

Confronting the growing problems in the housing market.

Bolstering retirement security by promoting savings and investment.

Returning to fiscal responsibility and moving towards balanced budgets.

Harnessing innovation to create the high-wage jobs of the 21st century.

Creating a $50 billion Strategic Energy Fund to jumpstart research and development of alternative energies.

Strengthening unions and ensuring our trade laws work for all Americans.

Ending the War in Iraq

Providing Affordable and Accessible Health Care

Fulfilling Our Promises to Veterans

Promoting Energy Independence and Fighting Global Warming

web page

In my opinion the US would rather vote in a black man as president than a woman - so if the two of them were smart they would hook up now and be the best chance win.

But having said that I have given up wondering how we pick a president - after 8 yrs of Bush! :roll:

Not sure it is ready to vote in either is it, which therefore might allow the Republicans to continue in Presidential Office. :confused:

PS Mary thanks for the list on the two Democrat candidates, any chance of a list on a couple of the leading Republicans.

[ 08.01.2008, 08:44: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

Based on decisions made and opinions expressed by Rudy Giuliani in his former role as Mayor of New York, the following views on essential topics:

Abortion

1. Giuliani, unlike most of the Republican Party, is pro-choice though he supports having reasonable restrictions such as parental notification and a ban on partial-birth abortion.

Budget & Economy

1. Giuliani believes that economic development also requires maintenance of what currently exists-this includes buildings, subways, etc. He believes millions of the maintenance budget's dollars are wasted annually resolving solving fiscal issues.

2. We must encourage tourism and entertainment revitalization (through building television studios, etc) to stimulate the economy.

Civil Rights

1. Opposes a ban on gay marriage and is well known to be pro gay rights. This includes his belief that all city rights should be extended to same-sex couples. Though Giuliani believes the term "marriage" describes the union between a man and a woman, he supports "domestic partnerships."

2. Supporter of affirmative action.

Crime

1. In favor of the death penalty for 9/11 conspirators

2. Believes home ownership decreases crime.

3. DNA Labs are necessary in order to combat crime.

4.It is impossible to eliminate risk, but security should be taken more seriously.

Drugs

1. Drug policy should be included as an essential part of our foreign policy.

Education

1. In support of using vouchers, creating charter schools to increase competition, and privatizing failing schools.

2. Opposes prayer in schools.

Energy & Oil

1. The Strategic Petroleum Reserve should be opened up in order to combat rising oil prices

Gun Control

1. All gun owners should be required to pass a written test.

Homeland Security

1. No compromise with terrorists.

2. Strongly supported reauthorization of the Patriot Act

Immigration

1. In support of the Senate's guest worker plan and the path to citizenship because he does not believe preventing illegal immigration is possible.

War

1. Withdrawing from Iraq will fuel terrorism and encourage future attacks.

2. We should be proud that we have liberated the Iraqi people

web page

John McCain believes taxes should be low, simple, and fair and has a track record of commitment to these principles.

Government Spending, Lower Taxes and Economic Prosperity

America's economic progress requires that the federal government abide by the same standards of common sense and fiscal restraint as hardworking families.

Straight Talk on Health System Reform

John McCain is willing to address the fundamental problem: the rapidly rising cost of U.S. health care. Bringing costs under control is the only way to stop the erosion of affordable health insurance, save Medicare and Medicaid, protect private health benefits for retirees, and allow our companies to effectively compete around the world.

Human Dignity & the Sanctity of Life

During more than five years as a POW in Vietnam, John McCain experienced the worst assaults on human dignity imaginable. Yet each day he also saw in his fellow prisoners the power of human compassion and the will to prevail against unimaginable evil. It is this experience, and a life dedicated to public service, that has imbued in John McCain a fundamental commitment to the protection of human dignity that will shape his presidency.

Lobbying & Ethics Reform

John McCain believes that a government "of the people, by the people, and for the people" must remain ever faithful to that noble charge. America needs leadership devoted to the public interest, not the special interest, and a government that fulfills its duties with unfailing integrity, accountability, and common sense. Those who serve in positions of public trust have a patriotic duty to serve the national interest with integrity and accountability, to conduct ourselves in a manner worthy of the people we are privileged to serve, and to devote ourselves to America's agenda, not that of narrow special interests.

Strategy for Victory in Iraq

John McCain believes that we must not fail in Iraq. Succeeding in the cause of helping the Iraqi people build a stable, secure, representative state is essential to achieving an enduring peace in a region of the world central to American prosperity and national security. Failure in Iraq will endanger America for generations to come. America has a vital interest in a secure, democratic Iraq, at peace with its neighbors, to help stabilize a dangerous and critical region.

Border Security & Immigration Reform

I have always believed that our border must be secure and that the federal government has utterly failed in its responsibility to ensure that it is secure. If we have learned anything from the recent immigration debate, it is that Americans have little trust that their government will honor a pledge to do the things necessary to make the border secure.

Commitment To America's Service Members: Past And Present

America owes its liberty, its prosperity, and its future to our veterans who have dedicated their lives to protecting our great country. John McCain has fought to honor our national commitment to our veterans who have given their careers and livelihoods to ensuring our freedom. He believes we must provide for service members and their families while they serve, we must help those who return from combat to adjust to civilian life, and we must honor and never forget the service of those who do not return.

National Security

The most sacred responsibility vested in a president - the commander in chief - is to "preserve and protect" American citizens. John McCain has the necessary vision and unrivaled experience to command the United States armed forces and adapt our nation's defenses to the demands of a changing and dangerous world.

web page

Originally posted by Mary:

Obama's Ideas:

Reduce Carbon Emissions 80 Percent by 2050

(Easy.... charge you what we get charged for petrol over here!!)

Invest in a Clean Energy Future

(take a bit more lead out of the petrol)

Support Next Generation Biofuels

(starve the population by using everything for fuel instead of food!)

Set America on Path to Oil Independence

(Invade and try to conquer a few more oil rich states to acquire oil)

Improve Energy Efficiency 50 Percent by 2030

Restore U.S. Leadership on Climate Change

Quality, Affordable and Portable Coverage for All

(stop making "town" cars with 8 litre engines would be a start!!)

Lower Costs by Modernizing The U.S. Health Care System

(many have tried to modernise a health care system..... all have so far failed. I wish him luck!!) (also links in with above as less population means less healthcare costs!)

and one final one.... change name to something which isn't one letter away from being Americas greatest post war enemy!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a comment I saw on a Centre Right Forum:

Re: Obama is the Democratic nominee

I think that's a very safe assumption. There's a buzz about him that Clinton, and any Republican for that matter, just can't match. He's even getting audiences of 15000 in places like Idaho and Colorado.

Shame he'll be another Tony Blair, who by promising so much ended up making so many people so cynical about politics. I fear the millions of people who have an almost spiritual devotion to Obama's "change" movement will find much of the hope invested in him dashed when he enters the White House and the grand rhetoric has to meet with hard realities.

How will he commit to Kyoto without the Senate's assent? Will he really risk the consequences of setting a timetable form withdrawing from Iraq? ....

Regarding Observer's comment about democracy.....it will just get redefined. :wink:

I believe in the very beginning when I was asked my opinion I said that, "They will elect a black man before a woman".

Clinton has the knowledge, expertise and a long career fighting with the Republicans. She has a good idea about what the American people want. Change happens to be one of those ideas.

Obama is a good man - and as I said before I can see the two running together , but I am not sure which will be the vice president.

At least this seems a better election season than the last few. But we shall see. :roll:

• 3 months later...

Mary, I voted for Hilary in the California primary. I could see Clinton/Obama as a dream ticket, but ?????? what happened? They are both senators so I suspect they could work well with the Senate with some well placed Cabinet choices. Obama is a young man and could easily run for president when some of the current mess is attended to.

I can remember other 'popular' choices for the nomination fumbling and losing -- McGovern, Eugene McCarthy, and third party John Anderson, Ross Perot, he was hugely popular...

By the way, I know you weren't in Florida in 2000, but hope you get to see RECOUNT on HBO, Kevin Spacey and Laura Dern.