Meat Pies.

pommie lass

Just about everything pommie lass. you name it she has either got it or had it. It is just a mild chest infection they think. probably caught from being in just before christmas after having a fall.(it's either that or she really likes hospital food) She is not too bad as she has started complaining about things and worrying about her bills that have to be paid which is always a good sign.

Wigan, the pie capital?   As well as all those mentioned, i would add Cissie Keefe's in Priestley street;  Smith's in Orford avenue (with the warmest wall in Warrington).  Earlier there were two bakeries in Longford street; Moon's in Norris street; and I think it was called Donaldson's in the same block as Warburtons and which became Savage's bookies.  Walkers on Pinners Brow.  At the Grammar school, I used to 'stop pies' which you ate at the back of the dining hall - Currall's were 2 and a half old pence each and a luxury in the war.

When I was a beat policeman from 1955 to 69, I used to buy pies for my meal break, so I considered myself an expert in the towns bakeries.  They fitted nicely into my cape over my shoulders and the aroma was excellent.  If it was raining, they fitted cleanly into the lining of the cape and I walked along with my hands in my pockets, pausing occasionally to surreptitiously try a piece of pastry when there were no pedestrians about.

Warburtons were  brilliant pies, but the best were from Nickson's in Bridge street, between the bible book shop and the lights.  Unfortunately, they got 'done' for a dirty kitchen, so it was back to wherever my beat landed me.

Happy days

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...