Meat Pies.

pommie lass

I remember years ago in Warrington it was possible to buy beautiful meat and potato pies. Not the things which pass for meat and potato pies these which are really just sloppy mince with mash on top.  I mean the ones which pieces and meat and chunks of spud inside. Currall's in Thelwall Lane was one place which sold them. There was also a place in town perhaps on a corner not far from Central station which I can't remember the name of. but possibly started with S.  Maybe Stringers or something like that. I am just wondering if it is still possible to get them anywhere. 

My mouth started watering reading that 

I'm sure the Currall's pie shop is still there on Thelwall Lane.  There's a new pie shop in Stockton Heath too near the swing bridge and all theirs are home made.  I've only been in once but my dad said all theirs are delicious. 
If I go past later I'll pop in and see if they do meat and potato ones and I'll buy one and test it for you....any excuse :lol:

My mouth started watering reading that 

I'm sure the Currall's pie shop is still there on Thelwall Lane.  There's a new pie shop in Stockton Heath too near the swing bridge and all theirs are home made.  I've only been in once but my dad said all theirs are delicious. 

If I go past later I'll pop in and see if they do meat and potato ones and I'll buy one and test it for you....any excuse :lol:

When you see John at Bessie's tell him he needs to put his hand in his pocketing and promote his shop properly - loads of people still don't know about it!!! :wink:

Yeah I can just see that.... unknown woman who has only ever been in once going in again, asking for a meat and potato, then randomly telling them they don't advertise properly. 
I wonder what they would sprinkle on my pie  :lol: 

As you are on first name terms do it yourself :P:lol:

Bad place for a pie shop, or any shop though really, as it's right down the bottom end of the village where not many people tend to go.   

Yeah I can just see that.... unknown woman who has only ever been in once going in again, asking for a meat and potato, then randomly telling them they don't advertise properly. 

I wonder what they would sprinkle on my pie  :lol: 

As you are on first name terms do it yourself :P :lol:

Bad place for a pie shop, or any shop though really, as it's right down the bottom end of the village where not many people tend to go.   

Better coming from a complete stranger :wink: and say it after you have bought your pie :)

You're best staying out of the discussion PJ or before you know it Gary will be sending you to take photos for him with you now being his special photo 'agent'  :lol:

I've never had a Curralls m&p but...drool....their beef pies were to die for.  Gawd I'm going to have to go in search of those too now .  YUM YUM

• 4 weeks later...

Ther is a stall in the market that sell both tomlins and curralls pies. quite often get half a dozen of the small beef ones, but they don't travel well, (actually they don't travel far have been known to eat three before getting back to the car park. :oops:  :oops:  )

There is Sid,  they always run out of Curralls meat and spud though.  My Mum worked at Lindys pie shop years ago.  Do you remember it, next to Tom Bowes.  Now they made excellent pies, good job really as she brought them home for tea most nights.

• 4 weeks later...

Considering the number of pie shops mentioned in the warrington area it makes you wonder how many are in wigan for them to get the reputation as pie eaters. :lol: :lol:

Will ask mum later when i visit her in hospital (yet again) and see if she remembers anything about it in between worrying about her meds and where her phone/purse/teeth are. :roll: