Sign in to follow this  
pommie lass

The Blue Candle

Is there anyone around who might remember the The Blue Candle disco in the 60's?  I think it may have been in Legh Street but like everything else it's so long ago it's hard to remember exactly where it was located. 

Can't even think what clubs /pubs were in Legh St. Would it have been something that took place at the baths every now & then during the months the big pool was shut?

I'll ask my dad as his band used to play in places like that baths, Carlton etc etc  in the early 60's and his elder sister used to go to dances and things in Warrington too so maybe they will both remember it.

I just google searched and it led me to another topic where someone asked about The Blue Candle on here back in 2010.  Not really much info though I'm afraid.

As it's a really old topic it is showing backwards for some as the forum was upgraded after that date and moved to another platform so you have to read it backwards ie the first post at the top is actually the last one so you have to scroll down and read from the bottom up.  

http://forum.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/index.php?/topic/4473-the-blue-candle/

Does this look familiar to you pommie Lass? 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3892579,-2.5973151,3a,75y,281.94h,98.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sz0dbH-PVrUJIl33NZCXmAg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It's Legh Street and the building with the arch that says 'Osale Works' is where the Blue Candle was, or so I've been told anyway.  In case you are wondering the ugly white NHS building is what has now replaced the old Legh Street baths.  Horrid isn't it

Isn't that "sale rooms" ?  :oops:

Oooh yes it probably is now I've looked at the google map picture link again  :oops:  :lol:  But why on earth is there an O before the word Sale with the same letter spacing ?

Thanks Dizzy.  I think that could be right.    The NHS building is disgusting.  It still makes me sad and angry that they got rid of the old baths.  It held so many memories.