China syndrome !

observer

Who mentioned "buying back" nationalised industries? It's within the power of an Independent National Government to take them over WITHOUT compensation if needs be. So even you acknowledge that this current farce with China, isn't a benign excuse for them to help us out, but will be collecting from us in the future, at what level of interest? This whole idea of "trade", needs some examination; aside from Giant Pandas and possibly Soy Sauce; and ultra-cheap labour of course; what has China got that is essential to us. The whole point and origin of "trade" was the exchange of goods that each couldn't resource/produce themselves. what we're actually seeing here is smoke and mirrors, and an effort on the part of the Tories to make believe they can turn the industrial desert of the North, into some kind of northern powerhouse. An exercise in bovine scatology to all but the gullible.

Erm  of course it is, like Britain has done over the years, why else would they build our stuff.  If you think that our country could just take back all the industries it wishes without paying you are living in cloud cuckoo land.  

Gov can do exactly what the law allows, the law is made in Parliament, Gov has a majority in Parliament - otherwise it wouldn't be Government. So yes. it can do exactly what it likes. Asp: very few items I use are made in China; I deliberately shop for British made items; alas Mrs Obs lets the side down at times ! The reason folk shop for Chinese products is because they are cheap, not because we can't make them, this happened in the 60s with Japanese goods; and has continued since. But I'm not aware of any minerals or exotic fruits that can only be found in China; so the sole addiction is cheap products derived from cheap labour. So you can claim it's our own fault.

And if we start to seize foreign owned businesses, like they did to such great success in Kenya etc. what then happens in the City?  You remember the City, where virtually all our wealth generation is concentrated.  Idiotic proposals make for idiotic solutions and catastrophic consequences.  

Re your buy British, what car do you drive?  where was your pc and its components made? Your TV? Your fridge?  ad nauseum?

no because you are caught lying again.  It's all very well choosing your British bacon once a week, that will show those pesky Danes who's boss, but you and nobody else buys British on the majority of purchases, especially manufactured goods,  so don't try to pretend you do.

I once worked on contract delivering to a very well known High Street retailer which was renowned  for championing British goods but it was pointed out to me one day by one of their employees that there were indeed degrees of Britishness. He was showing me shoes in a shipping box with foreign shipping marks  proudly emblazoned across it ,but if the slightest improvement was made to the contents on British soil, such as adding shoelaces, they could be called British made.

We once did a job at a company called Peter Blacks who were in Keithley in Yorkshire. They used to make slippers, luggage, soft toys and other items exclusively for Marks and Spencer....this article sums things up quite nicely when it comes to British manufacturing I think....

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/9519959.Peter_Black_firm_to_move_out_of_Keighley/

Obs, I think you will find that a lot of the things you use, or have used , in the last 20 years was manufactured, at least in part, in China. So you cannot at this late stage say we don't need them. The time to save the type of British industry that once ruled the world passed 30 to 40 years ago when the ball was passed to our competitors who enthusiastically caught and ran with it. Blame whoever you like, it makes no difference to reality.

I agree Asp

We once did a job at a company called Peter Blacks who were in Keithley in Yorkshire. They used to make slippers, luggage, soft toys and other items exclusively for Marks and Spencer....this article sums things up quite nicely when it comes to British manufacturing I think....

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/9519959.Peter_Black_firm_to_move_out_of_Keighley/

They used to import tonnes of items and stitch made in Britain labels into them if I recall

They used to import tonnes of items and stitch made in Britain labels into them if I recall

I suppose if it came to court they would argue that only the label was British Made PJ ,but the customer was at fault for thinking it referred to the whole product.

Actually, the only Chinese item I found was a bottle of Soy Sauce !!!!!

so you dismantled your electronic items and checked and found that none of the components were Chinese?  Amazing.  So enlighten me, what British manufactured goods did you find, and how does your Morgan car handle?

French Companies own some of our water companies, does that mean the water is French? Even in this era of migrant labour, still think British workers are being employed to actually assemble cars or are they all Chinese?! As for white goods, I'm sure the next time I buy one, the retailer will allow me to strip it down to it's tiniest component, just to check it's not Chinese ! The customer has no choice in many cases to "buy British", as I said the damage was done in the 60s.