China syndrome !

observer

In this new world of benign interdependence, where China dumps it's excess steel production on us; they're apparently going to build two new nuclear power stations for us.  However, it seems our Gov haven't completely lost it, as our security services have been given the job of vetting/checking all the IT that's being used in the new plants !  :lol:

I think Cameron's policy is shameful and unbelievable.

NOt only will we get a dodgy nuclear power station but the government will pay over the market price for electricity. How can someone check a poer stations IT, you might as well build your own IT

It is beyond me why business and governments are cosing up to China, if they want cheap manufacturing there is india, South America, even Rumania

Fair point Coff. The last time we made great efforts for a "trade deal" with China; they didn't want it, cos they were self sufficient and didn't want anything from us. So, some enterprising Brits brought them heroin, to create demand, and the rest is history !

When did this happen, last year, 10 years ago or 250 years ago?

It is really relevant?

This is no less of "selling off the family silver" than the Thatcher years & we will also finish up with a French energy supplier. Any meaningful industry is once more disappearing abroad to leave any non professionals existing on zero hours contracts topped up with meagre benefits.

Not interested in "the squabble", just educating folk on the historic context; which is why there was concerns by some, about the PM wearing a poppy during President's Xi's visit. Seems aside for not being able to see beyond next week, you can't see beyond last week either !

so oh wise one, what the hell has the Boxer rebellion to do with any of this?  I studied the Boxer rebellion at school and knew it was at the turn of the century, i.e. 1900, you were miles out.  listen and learn, it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the present day situation, and absolutely nothing to do with the price of steel.  The fact that Britain would commit any amount of vile atrocities in its greed driven quest for Imperialistic power, although disgusting, has very little bearing on our present day dealings with a country we are cap in hand to for pennies

I thought it might be difficult for you. Unfortunately, history is a continuing process and not a series of convenient and separate slots for text books. :roll:

No its not, history has, by definition, gone, its not continuing, that would be what sane folk refer to as the future.  

For the UK 1939 - 1945. For the USSR June 1941 - 1945. For the USA Dec 1941 - 1945. - next ! I realise it's difficult for you, but events lead to other events, which creates history, right up to the present. In order to decide where best to go, it helps to know where you've been. Arguably, current events in the M/East can be traced back to the fall of the Dictators, caused by Bliar and Bush, and the so-called Arab Spring that followed. But getting back to China: for most of the 19th century China was subjected to exploitation by the West, starting with the forcing of trade relations, with the dumping of opium, creating a natural resentment (and rebellions) against the Imperialist powers throughout that century.

For the UK 1939 - 1945. For the USSR June 1941 - 1945. For the USA Dec 1941 - 1945. - next ! I realise it's difficult for you, but events lead to other events, which creates history, right up to the present. In order to decide where best to go, it helps to know where you've been. Arguably, current events in the M/East can be traced back to the fall of the Dictators, caused by Bliar and Bush, and the so-called Arab Spring that followed. But getting back to China: for most of the 19th century China was subjected to exploitation by the West, starting with the forcing of trade relations, with the dumping of opium, creating a natural resentment (and rebellions) against the Imperialist powers throughout that century.

For at least one Japanese soldier it was 1974 before he finally accepted the war was over and surrendered!! 

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/17/hiroo-onoda-japanese-soldier-dies

For at least one Japanese soldier it was 1974 before he finally accepted the war was over and surrendered!! 

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/17/hiroo-onoda-japanese-soldier-dies

So you would accept that WW2 lasted until 1974 then because of the delusion and refusal to accept the truth by one sad and deluded lunatic, sort of what I am being asked to do :D :D :D