Greenalls Avenue, Warrington.

biffo0161

On researching my family tree I find that my Great Grand Uncle Tom Barlow was living at 80 Greenalls Avenue in the 1901 census and 122 Greenalls Avenue in the 1911 Census.

As he was a Cooper by trade I assume he worked at the Greenalls brewery and would I be right in assuming that the brewery owned these house and rented them to their workers.

Is Greenalls Avenue still standing, and would it be possible to access photos of these houses somewhere.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Yours truly

Brian Carter.

Looks like they are still there then, thanks for that. Where are these situated in relation to the brewery by the way?

Thanks for the welcome and I will probably be posting quite a few questions as the paternal side of my family are from

Stockton Heath going back some 200 years.

Once again, thanks.

Hiya Brian

Yes numbers 80 and 122 are both still standing like fugtifino's link shows and I walked past your Great Grand Uncle Tom's houses the other dayThey are lovely terraced cottages and all Grade 2 listed.

Here is English Heritages listing details for them

GREENALL'S AVENUE 1. 5150
Nos 104 to 128 (even) SJ 68 NW 4/79 II GV

2. Long row of cottages dated 1870, brick, 2 storeys. Each has panelled or modern door, round-headed fanlight with glazing bars in round brick arch; one window each floor, mostly 16-paned but some later sashes. Additional smaller door between pairs leads to back yards, with small window over.

Nos 74 and 76, 8O to l00, and 104 to 128 form a street group.

Listing NGR: SJ6093486374

direct link here https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1139429

Yes they were all once Greenalls houses although it doesn't mention that on the listing. 

I'm sure I've got some some old photo's somewhere in the depths of my computer that show them and some old maps and other info too as I seem to remember there was another topic about them on here too ages ago.  It may have been more to do with the other houses further down that were demolished when the Manchester Ship Canal was cut though, I'm not too sure off the top of my head.
I'll try and find it later and my info too.  Forum member Algy may have some photo's and info too.

None of my family lived in Greenall's Avenue but I'm rather obsessed with Stockton Heath and its history as it's where I've always lived... oh I'm just as obsessed with anything to do Warrington history and family history too so I'm really looking forward to your other questions...brace yourself  :lol:  :D  

• 3 months later...

Hi Brian,

I lived in one of the 8 houses that made up Wilderspool Cres next to Greenalls Ave. As a small boy I remember the Barlows. I never saw much of Mr Barlow . Brenda Barlow his daughter was my god mother. She was engaged to my uncle but they never got married. Greenalls ave is the old Chester Rd. It was cut in half when the Manchester Ship Canal was built.

• Upvote 1